Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ella
    Oh man, I really hope that the finale isn't hurt by this awful ratings. Does anyone know if other shows have continued to be affected? I'm curious to know what exactly is causing the drop in ratings. If it was just Smallville, I'd focus more internally but it's obvious something external that is affecting most shows.
    I don't live in America, but i have heard that this ratings drop has to do with 2 factos:the playoffs in baseball and baskeyball and the fact that less viewers watch TV at this time of the year. From what i have heard most shows' ratings dropped yesterday as well.

Comment

At least it wasn't a decrease =/

Comment

some cw affiliates (including mine) switched channels this past monday and many didn't know...so that also hurt the ratings
        if i wasn't so obsessed with watching the ep i never would have found out either

Comment

I heard most people was watching basketball, because of the overtime, but thats no excuse, i think alot of people was turn off by that lana bs, i know i was, but i kept watching, but i can't speak for other people.

Lets hope the ratings goes back up next week.

Comment

Upward is always better. Not as good as we'd like to see but upward nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack-El49
              Upward is always better. Not as good as we'd like to see but upward nevertheless.
              Well an increase was always expected since this episode had what Stiletto did not have, and that's a new episode from which to build up from. Stiletto had a three week break to follow, a week whose rerun was the episode Requiem which scored, if I remember correctly, an 1.8 in the ratings, one of the lowest if not THE lowest ratings for a rerun all season long.

So it's very clear now that those who were blaming the ratings on Lois Lane last week were wrong. Unless Lois Lane was hiding down in the basement with Davis, I think it's clear that the ratings are suffering all around because of the playoffs and because of the general time of the season.

The only thing we can do now is hope that the ratings continue to increase onto the finale by leaps and bounds, although I'm personally not holding my breath on that one.

Comment

If you look at the ratings the entire season 8 in the beggining the ratings were consistanly going up and that is for two reasons.

(1) People were liking the moonlighting tension that was being projected in the show with lois and clark.
                (2)the steam in viewership was building because viewers were starting to program there brains that every thursday there was a new smallville episode.

AND THEN THE CW IN ALL THERE INFINITE WISDOM DECIDED TO THROW ALL THOSE HIATUS IN ALONG WITH LANA ARC'S, BY THE TIME THE RETURNING VIEWERSHIP STARTED TO RETURN THEY WERE CONFUSED THINKING THEY HAD MISSED TO MUCH PROBABLY DIDNT WANT TO BOTHER CATCHING UP WITH SMALLVILLE.

Comment

Disappointing, but not surprising. They're not much better than last week, but the reality is basketball, especially in this neck of the woods is more important to a lot of viewers, especially when you can just record the episodes and watch them later.

Well, we know that even with a heavily promoted Doomsday storyline it didn't do much better than Stiletto. So much for the idea that Stiletto lost ratings because Lois Lane was wearing a sexy outfit.

I hope we see some improvement next week and especially with Doomsday. Oh well.

Comment

About what I expected. I figured the show would take a slight bump upwards but not go over 3.5M. The show needs to learn how not to have breaks in the future. Next year they should have 8 episodes before Xmas, then do a run of 14 straight after Xmas

I am guessing the final will be slightly over 3.3M, then injustice will go over 3.5M, if lucky the final might draw close to 4M

Comment

Originally posted by rep4clark
                      AND THEN THE CW IN ALL THERE INFINITE WISDOM DECIDED TO THROW ALL THOSE HIATUS IN ALONG WITH LANA ARC'S, BY THE TIME THE RETURNING VIEWERSHIP STARTED TO RETURN THEY WERE CONFUSED THINKING THEY HAD MISSED TO MUCH PROBABLY DIDNT WANT TO BOTHER CATCHING UP WITH SMALLVILLE.
                      Quoted for truth. I get irritated when we get low ratings and it's blamed on the episode because or the season being poor. The season is overall great (minus a few arcs, you know which ones) yet the ratings have been on the decline and to me it's beyond obvious that it's all the breaks in between. This is the first season that has had so many breaks and that has to affect the ratings. No way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritza
                        Quoted for truth. I get irritated when we get low ratings and it's blamed on the episode because or the season being poor. The season is overall great (minus a few arcs, you know which ones) yet the ratings have been on the decline and to me it's beyond obvious that it's all the breaks in between. This is the first season that has had so many breaks and that has to affect the ratings. No way around it.
                        Actually this season we have had less breaks than the previous two. 3 breaks as opposed to 4. The ratings would have declined anyway, but Bones added to the misery.

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                          Actually this season we have had less breaks than the previous two. 3 breaks as opposed to 4. The ratings would have declined anyway, but Bones added to the misery.
                          But isn't that worse though because the breaks are so long that people forget. I know I'd rather have 4 2-week breaks than 3 3-week breaks if that's what's been happening. But I personally don't think it's just the breaks. It's the breaks and the fact that the season has been so disjointed. And then add to this all the other factors and you get the lowest ratings of the series so far in two consecutive weeks.

Comment

Even though these ratings are low for the series, they're still very high for the CW. Hopefully the ratings will pick up with the Finale. I'll bet the finale gets over 4 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Dresden
                              So it's very clear now that those who were blaming the ratings on Lois Lane last week were wrong. Unless Lois Lane was hiding down in the basement with Davis, I think it's clear that the ratings are suffering all around because of the playoffs and because of the general time of the season.
                              Or those saying it was Lana's departure. If that were true then the ratings right after her arc, from Infamous up to Eternal, would have shown this type of decline. Instead, the episodes following the Lana arc started off low, which considering the three week break wasn't unexpected, and then slowly increased up to a 3.85 for Eternal, which was pretty good.

And the ratings didn't really take a nose dive into the worst ratings of the series until after the second three week break which came right before Stiletto. Not to mention that Smallville was one of 11 shows that had ratings lows last week.

So this is not exclusive to Smallville and I really wish that people would stop saying that it is. Anyone who studies the overall data can see that the ratings in general for most shows are suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by Ella
                                But isn't that worse though because the breaks are so long that people forget. I know I'd rather have 4 2-week breaks than 3 3-week breaks if that's what's been happening. But I personally don't think it's just the breaks. It's the breaks and the fact that the season has been so disjointed. And then add to this all the other factors and you get the lowest ratings of the series so far in two consecutive weeks.
                                Yup. The 8 week break after Bride killed the momentum. Yet Legion did respectable ratings. 4.30 i believe. Higher than Bride! The Christmas break is always a long one. It's just that in seasons past they have stuck an episode all by itself in December so that we are not left without an episode for 2 months as it happened this year. But as you said, it's more than just the breaks. And it's not even Bones or the Playoffs. For me the biggest problem is that, asyou said, the season is disjointed. The first 10 episodes(with the exception of Prey and Abyss) revolved mostly about the same plots. Then we get the Power arc putting Clois, RBB and Doomsday on the shelf until Unfamous. And after than we have been getting Clois/RBB episodes one week and Doomsday ones the other. Sometimes it's like watching 2 different shows. Beast was 90% a continuation of Eternal. The only thing that Stiletto added to Beast's plot was AJ's body. At the same time, Eternal felt out of place between Hex and Stiletto. Next year they would be better served to trim down the cast and have them all appear in at least 18 episodes. It will be the only way that they will get a consistent season.

Or those saying it was Lana's departure.
                                Exactly. It's never about one character and personally i have never blamed a character for a bad rating. Lets not forget that Power, as bad as it was, still has the highest rating after Legion.
                                Last edited by costas22; 05-01-2009, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎