Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 1 best season of the series?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 1 could be summed up as potential. It showed the potential the show had to show Clark go from boy to Superman, Lex from a morally grey man trying to be a good person to an evil villain a friendship between two young men into two bitter enemies. The show was at some it's best characterization wise. The Lex and Clark scenes together are great. Seeing things like Lex recommend To Kill a Mockingbird to Clark (which if I recall right was Clark's favorite novel in the Superman mythos). Oh and remember when Lana wasn't perfect? Yeah she actually could mess up drink orders and drop dishes. In fact she was only Clark's ideal of a perfect girl. An ideal that we knew, well hoped I guess, that he would soon grown out of. In season 1 we could see Clark grow up become less mopey and even more heroic and aspiring, we could see Lex fall further to the dark side until theres no returns, we could see Clark finally realizing that Lana isn't the perfect girl he painted her to be. Unfortunately Clark became a whiny self-pitying emo punk, Lex became evil out of nowhere helped because he loved Lana. Lana became a self-righteous Mary Sue. Clark doesn't grow up and let Lana get by choice he's forced to let her go. Season 8 and 9 attempted to rectify some mistakes but handle it so poorly it's more like retconning than character development. And let's not forgot Chloe once a proto-Lois has become some sort of hacker/pseudo Sidekick with no real purpose now that the real Lois has shown up, Martha is now instead of being Clark's moral booster is out doing shady things like hire psycho paths to hold people hostage.
    Characterization wise Smallville was at it's best in season 1 even if the episodic structure wasn't up to par as say season 2 or 3.

If I had to rate 2>1=3>4>9>5>6>8>7

Season 3 evened out because the characterization got worse but the story structure was better
    Last edited by Smokethatkryptonite; 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

season's 1-3 6 and 7 were the worsts season of the series. i MEANS TALK ABOUT YAWNER VILLE. I guess part of the reason was because i didnt like any of the characters other than clark jon and martha.

Comment

Season 1 is great I loved it because it was just simple and classic, but I don't think it is the best season that would have to go to Season 9

Comment

It's probably in the top 3 or 4, but not the best. It is a very good season, though.

Comment

Season 9 would be the best imo almost everything went right in that season and Clark made HUGE strides. For me it would probably be:
            9, 3, 8, 1, 2,

Comment

hmm.. the only seasons I really cared less for tho still enjoy a lot of are season 6 & 7.

Season 1 rocked.. I still enjoy popping it in from time to time..seeing early boyish clark. fun stuff. oh and the meteor freaks! Gotta love 'em.

Comment

Having been a fan of Smallville since the beginning, I still say season 1 is my favorite. I feel that it's the most consistent of all the seasons and has little flaws.
                A lot of fans don't care too much for the Freak-of-the-week theme of the season but it didn't bother me at all. Plus season 1 is where it all began, it started off great and strong.
                As for an overall season arc/storyline, no there really wasn't one, but I don't think any less of the season because of that.
                I think the characters were all written really well in season 1. Season 1 is my personal favorite, but in terms of best written season I'd say that was season 3. Season 3 had the strongest overall storyline/arc. Seasons 1-4 are my favorite and it's hard to choose which one is best, but I still say season 1 is my favorite.
                We'll just have to wait and see when season 10 is done if it becomes the best season. I'd say so far it has a really good chance.

Comment

to be honest i didnt like it i only like seasons 4 - 9 and all the episode of season 10 that has been aired up to now the only episode i like from season 1 was "Tempest"

Comment

Rogue is amazing and Leech is one of the best Clark centered eps.

Comment

Probably not. I think season one was a good start, but there are a lot of problems. For starters, the characters are a bit too young. Clark, Lana, Pete and Chloe are all high school freshmen. Yet, Chloe's the editor of the school newspaper (which keeps dealing with stories, that has nothing to do with the school) and have all kinds of odd connections for a 14-year-old. Freshman Lana handles a blood drive (unlikely. Also, the characters would be too young to donate), then both attends school and runs a coffee shop (despite having previously failed as a waitress). A 21-year-old Lex moves to town and starts hanging out with a 14-year-old boy (which doesn't raise any eyebrows).

Most of the episodes are devoted to freaks of the week. Many of whom aren't heavily fleshed out or will be heard from again. We have redundant characters like Whitney (whom they dropped after the season) and Pete (who left after season 3, which frequently just had had him appear for one scene, at times for just a few seconds). Granted, the Pete problem is a combined one for seasons 1-3, rather than something we can only blame season one for.

Season one doesn't have any of Clark's friends know his secret. Yet, they frequently run to him, when there's trouble (rather than calling the cops).

Of course, this isn't saying that there weren't some good episodes in season one, because there were. However, as the show progressed, they got rid off the redundant characters (along with giving Martha, who didn't really have one in S1, storylines). They got older, so certain things weren't as unbelievable anymore. They got away from the Torch (the high school newspaper, that for some reason prints stories unrelated to the school). They got more recurring villains and characters. Clark's friends began to learn his secret, taking care of the above mentioned problem. Season one has two Lana-stalkers, so it started a trope, that continued during seasons 2 and 3 (thankfully, largely dropped after that).

Not sure what I'd call the best season, but it'd probably not be season one.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎