Collapse
No announcement yet.

sylar not dying

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not about making sense, it's about consistency. Heroes is supposed to be about "normal people" with extraordinary abilities. The abilities are only supposed to come from evolution. Evolutionary changes take time. Up to now, being stabbed in the back of the head (Claire called that a "soft spot") is supposed to result in permanent death as long as the object stays in place. Now all of a sudden it no longer works.

I generally don't mind comparisons with characters outside of Heroes, but keep in mind that Heroes is a unique program and comparisons generally fail because of the different ways people get their powers in the other genres. Heroes is unique in that the only way people get their powers is though evolution. So Sylar should be totally flesh & bones just like the rest of us. The only difference is that he has been fortunate enough to be able to gain extraordinary abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyMan
      It's not about making sense, it's about consistency. Heroes is supposed to be about "normal people" with extraordinary abilities. The abilities are only supposed to come from evolution. Evolutionary changes take time. Up to now, being stabbed in the back of the head (Claire called that a "soft spot") is supposed to result in permanent death as long as the object stays in place. Now all of a sudden it no longer works.

I generally don't mind comparisons with characters outside of Heroes, but keep in mind that Heroes is a unique program and comparisons generally fail because of the different ways people get their powers in the other genres. Heroes is unique in that the only way people get their powers is though evolution. So Sylar should be totally flesh & bones just like the rest of us. The only difference is that he has been fortunate enough to be able to gain extraordinary abilities.
      They aparently have decided to get rid of all the rules and just make people be able to do whatever they want no matter what rules have already been established. For example Sylar getting up on his own with a knife in the back of his head, Sylar's original abilitie is now back to one even though they made it two last volume, Sylar dosen't have to change clothes after shifts anymore like he had to a episode or two ago.
      Last edited by targis; 04-21-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

That's the thing that's getting me confused. They seem bent on insulting our intellegence. They also have started coming up with relatively unrealistic abilities, such as the guy in last week's iStory -- who can change his body into a pile of sand. That's a bit out there as far as "normal people with extraordinary abilities" is concerned.

Comment

normally the next epi will explain the question. personally i think danko just missed. that's all. 'that hurt' hehe

Comment

That's the thing that's getting me confused. They seem bent on insulting our intellegence. They also have started coming up with relatively unrealistic abilities, such as the guy in last week's iStory -- who can change his body into a pile of sand. That's a bit out there as far as "normal people with extraordinary abilities" is concerned.
            You may want to believe that the shows are developing their own unique spin on the powers the heroes have and trying to emphasize realism, but they aren't. All the powers that have been used can be accounted for in comics. The way the characters in Heroes get their powers is moot, it about how the ability is used. The ability to manipulate sand is an obvious power taken from Sandman like Daphne's powers are taken directly from Flash/Quicksilver, Peter's ability from Rogue, Claire's ability from Wolverine, etc., etc. and they all work the same way.

As I've said, the idea that Sylar's miraculous recovery from the knife was a blindsided plot hole is pretty disingenuous. I'm not the biggest fan of the "idiot plots" in Heroes, but like I said, they alluded to Sylar's problem the whole entire episode. The episode is called "I Am Sylar," which is an obvious reflection that Sylar is losing control of the shapeshifting ability. Sylar blatantly stated that his transformations are leaving piece of the people he changes into behind and that he's not always coming back the way he use to be.

Comment

Well, if you ask me, going from normal human immediately to "superpower" kind of subverts the idea of evolution in the first place. (Come to think of it, going from flying/pyrokinesis to regeneration or from phasing/enhanced strength to technopathy is, too.) I know the abilities are supposed to come from evolution, but that the abilities manifest themselves so dramatically in the first place is an extraordinary thing indeed. Don't forget these abilities are thought to have religious ties, too...

Moreover, genetic mutations aren't always perfect anyway, so the extra tooth or the colored eyes could just be a shortcoming in the mutation that allowed for shapeshifting in the first place. Me, though, I'm going with "he missed" for now...

Like edwinisdenim said, though, I'm sure the writers won't completely ignore the point next episode; Danko's not just going to lay down and die without at least questioning Sylar's survival. Even if Sylar doesn't answer, at least we then have confirmation the writers realize the seeming illogic of the situation.

Comment

Sorry, but it's not my belief. It's what the writers and/or Mr. Kring once said. He (or they) said they want the show to be a standalone version. That means no comparisons to other genres. That means that other ways of gaining powers don't apply to Heroes. No radioactive spider bites. No aleins getting special powers from the yellow sun. Sorry.

Comment

My main problem is that they can't even go by their own rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Jigga
                    You may want to believe that the shows are developing their own unique spin on the powers the heroes have and trying to emphasize realism, but they aren't. All the powers that have been used can be accounted for in comics. The way the characters in Heroes get their powers is moot, it about how the ability is used. The ability to manipulate sand is an obvious power taken from Sandman like Daphne's powers are taken directly from Flash/Quicksilver, Peter's ability from Rogue, Claire's ability from Wolverine, etc., etc. and they all work the same way.

As I've said, the idea that Sylar's miraculous recovery from the knife was a blindsided plot hole is pretty disingenuous. I'm not the biggest fan of the "idiot plots" in Heroes, but like I said, they alluded to Sylar's problem the whole entire episode. The episode is called "I Am Sylar," which is an obvious reflection that Sylar is losing control of the shapeshifting ability. Sylar blatantly stated that his transformations are leaving piece of the people he changes into behind and that he's not always coming back the way he use to be.
                    i agree that heroes does have most of the powers from comic books. But there are differences and that is what makes heroes different. Like lets use claire and wolverine as an example. Wolverine has power to regenerate but he feels pain. also you do not see claire having metal claws coming out of her hands. it would be cool but she does not. Also claire can heal with her blood and wolverine can heal anyone. Also i think claire has more instore with her power which will even more far away from wolverine.

Comment

Sorry, but it's not my belief. It's what the writers and/or Mr. Kring once said. He (or they) said they want the show to be a standalone version. That means no comparisons to other genres. That means that other ways of gaining powers don't apply to Heroes. No radioactive spider bites. No aleins getting special powers from the yellow sun. Sorry.
                      What he wants doesn't matter. It's pretty evident when the main cast was suppose to be completely wiped out during the first season and a new cast for every other season. The fact that they employed notable writers from the comic book genre makes it hard for them to stray outside of the confines of that genre. Also, no radioactive spider bite? Really? What was Mohinder's whole turning into a roach side story then because it pretty much mirrors what happens to Peter Parker minus the actual bite.

Originally posted by haydenclaireheroes
                      i agree that heroes does have most of the powers from comic books. But there are differences and that is what makes heroes different. Like lets use claire and wolverine as an example. Wolverine has power to regenerate but he feels pain. also you do not see claire having metal claws coming out of her hands. it would be cool but she does not. Also claire can heal with her blood and wolverine can heal anyone. Also i think claire has more instore with her power which will even more far away from wolverine.
                      The basis for the powers are still the same, they can heal any wound even to the point of cheating death. Claire does in fact feel pain, or at least she did for the first two seasons. Healing factor is his major power, the claws are not. The claws are a side effect of the evolution that takes place in the Marvel universe, in fact, his bone claws are extremely brittle and break on impact to extremely hard surfaces. His healing factor is what allowed him to get the metal claws.

I think this talk about plot holes is also reflective of the directions taken earlier in this season and the previous season. People are so bend out of shape if something isn't slam into their face that they just start complaining about the smallest little detail as a plot hole just like what happened with Tracy even though they showed her winking at the end of "Cold Snap."
                      Last edited by Jigga; 04-21-2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

What he wants doesn't matter. It's pretty evident when the main cast was suppose to be completely wiped out during the first season and a new cast for every other season. The fact that they employed notable writers from the comic book genre makes it hard for them to stray outside of the confines of that genre. Also, no radioactive spider bite? Really? What was Mohinder's whole turning into a roach side story then because it pretty much mirrors what happens to Peter Parker minus the actual bite.

Where is the source of this information. I have never heard they were going to kill off the entire cast at the end of the first season and then every other season.

I don't see the Connection between Peter Parker and Mohinder at all. Peter took on the traits of the spider that bit him. Mohinder tried to give himself powers on purpose but messed the formula up so he started to turn into a monster but it wasn't a cockroach or any other kind of bug.

Comment

What he wants doesn't matter.
                          It should. He's the one who made the statement that everything on the show rests with him.

What was Mohinder's whole turning into a roach side story then because it pretty much mirrors what happens to Peter Parker minus the actual bite.
                          It's what's known in our world as "reverse engineering". The geneticist worked backwards to find out what was in the DNA that gave people powers. He then isolated the gene (or what ever it's called) that gave Maya her powers and injected it in himself. It's still a part of evolutionary changes.

The basis for the powers are still the same, they can heal any wound even to the point of cheating death. Claire does in fact feel pain, or at least she did for the first two seasons. Healing factor is his major power, the claws are not. The claws are a side effect of the evolution that takes place in the Marvel universe, in fact, his bone claws are extremely brittle and break on impact to extremely hard surfaces. His healing factor is what allowed him to get the metal claws.
                          That may or may not be true. But that's not the point. I don't mind that there are similarities. With each genre there is supposed to be a limit to how each power should work. Or, for that matter there should be a limit to what would work. Or so I thought.

As for Claire, after Sylar copied her ability she lost the capacity to feel pain (volume 3). Don't ask me why, I still haven't figured that one out yet. As far as I know, she still can't feel any physical pain.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by targis
                          Where is the source of this information. I have never heard they were going to kill off the entire cast at the end of the first season and then every other season.
                          I do remember reading somewhere that the original plan was to have a revolving cast. So what he said wasn't too far off.
                          Last edited by CompanyMan; 04-21-2009, 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I do remember reading somewhere that the original plan was to have a revolving cast. So what he said wasn't too far off.
                            maybe thats what they need to do then. If they are afraid of doing it they could just start a new show with a entirely new cast and have it come on tuesday nights and this show come on monday nights and if the tuesday night show takes off they could go with both shows and if not they could just cancel the new one.

Comment

I fail to understand how he can shift brain parts around. That sounds unrealistic to me.
                              And the idea of shape shifting does? haha I'm sorry, but this whole show is unrealistic you can't make any one thing here more realistic than another...

Comment

Originally posted by j-kent
                                And the idea of shape shifting does? haha I'm sorry, but this whole show is unrealistic you can't make any one thing here more realistic than another...
                                The problem is they set precedents on the show and then don't go by them.
                                one example is the clothing after the shapeshift
                                another one is Sylar's original abilities--at first they made him with only one---Then two----and now one again they need to backup what they say and stop making changes like that.
                                Last edited by targis; 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎