Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone wish that Lois had called Clark by the nickname of "Smallville"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hero`s passion
    I think I heard it too, she defenetly called him Smallville once or twice
    Sorry, Tanya. I hate to disappoint you, but THLois never called DCClark ‘Smallville’ throughout the entire series.

She did say ‘Smallville’ a couple of times but as refer to Clark’s hometown, not to Clark himself. I put a reference of the evolution of the nickname ‘Smallville’ to date in my 2nd post in this thread if you’re interested.

But I’m pretty sure that many people think Lois did call Clark ‘Smallville’ in LnC too, because it becomes something really well-known and popular. Even dare I say…….iconic?!

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
    You made my day with that
    Did I? Wow, nice to know that. And you have no idea how much I enjoy reading your posts. You constantly make my eyes tearful. LOL

I wanna re watch season 1 now, see if I can pick out any more nicknames. If she didn't use any, I wonder why? Hmm I'm gonna have a look
    Yeah, she even stops calling him ‘Kent’ quite quickly. And I really can’t remember of any other nicknames she came up with. But if I also find one, I’m gonna let you guys know!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblueplanet
      I called it ‘missed opportunity’ for the reason I explained in my previous post while I’m fully aware that the nickname was not yet created back then. Most probably I didn’t word it appropriately but I was just expressing my own feelings in an honest way. I didn’t mean to fault LnC at all and if I gave you the impression that I did, then I’m sorry for that. I’ve heard people say “It’s a missed opportunity they didn’t cast KK as Lana for the Superboy TV show back in 80’s!” and I was using the term in the same way. But you’re totally right. The term ‘missed opportunity’ is not the right words in both contexts. I should have said that “I wish the nickname was already created by then because……….”.
      I'm starting to understand. Though I was at first puzzled that anyone would say not casting KK as Lana in Superboy was a missed opportunity, not because I don't like KK, but because she would have been really young. Then, like an epiphany, I got it.
      Each to their own, but I enjoyed both LnC and S:TAS equally.
      Oh I wasn't putting down LnC. I hope I didn't come off that way - I love the show. I do prefer S:TAS a little more, but they're both great.
      And while it’s perfectly fine for you to think Chloe is a hotter girl as we all have different opinions and own bias too, I'd like to ask you what one girl being hotter than others has anything to do with the overall storyline? Are you saying if Lois is played by a hotter actress, even hotter than AM, then you wouldn’t mind to see Lois appeared on the show when she did?
      Whoa! I'm afraid we've run into a bit of misinterpretation again. That's cool - I don't think Allison Mack is hotter. Erica Durance is DEFINITELY the hotter one. What I was saying was that she is basically a hotter Chloe. A second Chloe to the show, as it were. Minus some of the snark, plus more sex appeal, times the Lana's damsel-in-distress formula.
      What about you? What your take on this? I'd love to hear it if you don't mind sharing it.
      Honestly? Coming from a person who dislikes almost every facet of Superman Returns - I think Bryan Singer was disconnected from the fans. Not all the fans, since there are obviously people who like the movie (), but I'm pretty sure most of the comic book fans watched the movie and felt it wasn't targeted at them. Singer doesn't read the comics, and he didn't even bother to research them for the movie. Despite claiming to be a Superman fan, the most recent Superman-related thing he's seen may be an episode of Smallville and before that, the Superman movies. Outside of the Fleschier cartoons and the 50's TV show, he closed himself to Superman lore or he'd know that Lois calling him "Smallville" is common now. And the writers were dragged from the X-movies and who knows what their level of Superman fandom is.

Now it never bothered me that she didn't call him that when I saw the movie because I was too busy hating other things. But now more than ever I realize what a close-minded Superman fan he is.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
        Oh I wasn't putting down LnC. I hope I didn't come off that way - I love the show. I do prefer S:TAS a little more, but they're both great.

Whoa! I'm afraid we've run into a bit of misinterpretation again. That's cool - I don't think Allison Mack is hotter. Erica Durance is DEFINITELY the hotter one. What I was saying was that she is basically a hotter Chloe. A second Chloe to the show, as it were. Minus some of the snark, plus more sex appeal, times the Lana's damsel-in-distress formula.
        Oh I’m sorry, Julian. We did misunderstand quite a lot in our first posts. LOL

Now I see what you were getting at. And I agreed. She really could’ve have written out from entire series except S8, imo. Also it would have been interesting to see how Chloe’s character had developed in that case, cos some people consider that her life was ‘taken’ from Lois, right? But this is for another thread and I’ll stick to our O/P topic for now.

Btw, I'm also glad to hear that you loved LnC, too.
        (Yes. I thought you didn't at first. lol )

Honestly? Coming from a person who dislikes almost every facet of Superman Returns - I think Bryan Singer was disconnected from the fans. Not all the fans, since there are obviously people who like the movie (), but I'm pretty sure most of the comic book fans watched the movie and felt it wasn't targeted at them. Singer doesn't read the comics, and he didn't even bother to research them for the movie. Despite claiming to be a Superman fan, the most recent Superman-related thing he's seen may be an episode of Smallville and before that, the Superman movies. Outside of the Fleschier cartoons and the 50's TV show, he closed himself to Superman lore or he'd know that Lois calling him "Smallville" is common now. And the writers were dragged from the X-movies and who knows what their level of Superman fandom is.

Now it never bothered me that she didn't call him that when I saw the movie because I was too busy hating other things. But now more than ever I realize what a close-minded Superman fan he is.
        Thanks for responding to my question! But geez. Singer was THAT clueless? Really?

Yeah, it sure wasn’t targeted for the comic fans, and how on earth they thought Singer’s idea was a great way to develop a new Superman franchise is beyond me. It was the perfect opportunity to introduce the Modern Age Superman to new audience, wasn’t it? But instead, we were reminded of the dated version of Superman once again. I’m still at a complete loss to understand why this could ever happen. But that said, this movie hold a special place in my heart nonetheless.

I’m still glad that KBLois never called him ‘Smallville’, though. The Silver Age Lois never did and I just want it to be saved for a modern age version of Lois to be distinguished from her counterparts in the old era. But in the SR, maybe it would have added something extra to her characterization and gave her a juicy little bonus that makes her ‘tick’ as ILL? We never know, huh?

Comment

I'm so sick of hearing it from Erica Durance on "Smallville" that I'm glad it was kept to a minimum on L+C.

Comment

I kinda wish... but I'm kinda happy she didn't. It is just so Smallville Lois to do that. And the animated series. We don't want them all to be the same... but then again, i kinda do. I don't know.

Comment

Hmm. Well, Lois and Clark had a slightly different relationship on L&C than they did on the other shows.

Think about it... They weren't into each other right away, it was a slow burn romance where they got to know each other first. Also, Lois Lane wasn't actually in love with Superman right away neither, but she was definitely awed by him and wanted to know everything about him. The same way anybody else would've been. She was more professional with Clark too, so having her call Clark by the nickname Smallville wouldn't have made sense at all.

There's also the fact that Dean Cain didn't really play up the country boy living in the big city aspect for his Clark Kent portrayal.... which is another reason for why having that nickname in L&C wouldn't have made sense.

In the other series such as the cartoon and Smallville, Clark Kent's simple life in a country town is a major aspect of his character development. He just oozes that country charm and everything else about Smallville.... So naturally, it made sense for Lois to call him Smallville then in those series.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                Hmm. Well, Lois and Clark had a slightly different relationship on L&C than they did on the other shows.

Think about it... They weren't into each other right away, it was a slow burn romance where they got to know each other first. Also, Lois Lane wasn't actually in love with Superman right away neither, but she was definitely awed by him and wanted to know everything about him. The same way anybody else would've been. She was more professional with Clark too, so having her call Clark by the nickname Smallville wouldn't have made sense at all.

There's also the fact that Dean Cain didn't really play up the country boy living in the big city aspect for his Clark Kent portrayal.... which is another reason for why having that nickname in L&C wouldn't have made sense.

In the other series such as the cartoon and Smallville, Clark Kent's simple life in a country town is a major aspect of his character development. He just oozes that country charm and everything else about Smallville.... So naturally, it made sense for Lois to call him Smallville then in those series.
                I agree with this. Dean's Clark didn't come across as a "farm boy" like Tom's Clark did, even though he was.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎