Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davis Is More Heroic Than Clark?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, but Davis is no hero. He's a serial killer. There is no comparison!!

Comment

Originally posted by chlo-el
      I agree he was ending his own suffering but he still did it so he wouldn't hurt anyone else. Even though he said he wasn't trying to be a martyr to me that is still very heroic.
      I agree. While I still believe Davis wanting to kill himself had nothing to do with Clark. I think it had everything to do with ending his own suffering, not having to kill people (bad guys or innocents), and basically was a heroic act in my eyes. Many here look at it as a black and white situation where because Davis kills he's automatically evil. But they ignore WHY he kills. And while I will never condone murder, I understand Davis POV.

He had blackouts where he killed people. Then he came to realize he was killing people he was horrified. He didn't think there was anyway to kill himself earlier, so he made a tough choice. He started killing badguys to surpress Doomsday, who would kill people regardless of if someone is innocent or not. It was the only choice he had at the time. But when he discovered Green K could kill him, he thought he finally had a way to end it all.

Yes regardless of the killing and stuff, Davis has done some good things. But I wouldn't classify any of them as truly heroic until last night when he wanted to kill himself. I think that's the closest he's come so far to true heroism. And I will close by saying I do not believe one act of true heroism outweights all the good and heroic things Clark has done in the world. Sorry. Just my own personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
        I can't agree with you on this one. I could compare Davis with dictators who mass murder because they think a certain group of people are bad for the world. Picking and choosing people who you think the world would be better off without isn't heroic, it's playing God.
        Dictators? Mass Murders? They all had a choice. Davis doesn't. He just chooses the lesser of two evils. Given free will, he would have never chosen to be a killer at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn
          I agree with this. It's not like he can just stop the killings whenever he wished. He killed whenever the beast started to take over. He chose to kill bad guys instead of killing tons of innocent people. It's horrific, but he didn't know what else to do. Then he thinks he can kill himself for the greater good. I saw that as heroic even though it didn't work. So what does he do? He goes to Chloe next because she's his last chance to control it. I do think Clark acted like a hero in this one as well. It just sucks that Davis got the raw end of the deal when he tries so hard to be good, even though everything in his life has been one neverending nightmare, save for Chloe.
          I know his life really does stink. He was handed a really raw deal. But despite the horrible hand he was dealt he tries to make the best out of it still trying to be as good as he can.

Comment

But does Davis truly have a choice. At this moment I've only seen three options for him in life. Kill bad guys to stop the beast. Allow himself to become the beast and kill innocents or try to spend the rest of his life with Chloe and hope that love will stop the beast. He has been trying for the first option, he never wanted the second and he can only hope, but not chose for the third option. So maybe he does have a small choice. Kill innocents or kill baddies... What's the best one?

Comment

Originally posted by Davis Bloome
              Imo it's not heroic, but it's not playing God either. If he has to kill people to save innocents then there is little choice he has then to rid the innocent of the bad people...
              Davis might think he is ridding the world of low life but it isn't his choice to make. It would be better if he put himself out in the desert or the highest mountain away from humans.

Not blaming you for this, but how easy was it for some to say Clark was playing God by not returning all of Chloe's memories of his secret (which I don't think he was), yet it isn't alright to say Davis is playing God by murdering a certain group of people. I call that a double standard.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Autumn
              Dictators? Mass Murders? They all had a choice. Davis doesn't. He just chooses the lesser of two evils. Given free will, he would have never chosen to be a killer at all.
              He does have a choice. Remove himself from the temptation of killing. It's a big world where there are no humans at all.
              Last edited by SnowBird; 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by MrZeppo
                I agree. While I still believe Davis wanting to kill himself had nothing to do with Clark. I think it had everything to do with ending his own suffering, not having to kill people (bad guys or innocents), and basically was a heroic act in my eyes. Many here look at it as a black and white situation where because Davis kills he's automatically evil. But they ignore WHY he kills. And while I will never condone murder, I understand Davis POV.

He had blackouts where he killed people. Then he came to realize he was killing people he was horrified. He didn't think there was anyway to kill himself earlier, so he made a tough choice. He started killing badguys to surpress Doomsday, who would kill people regardless of if someone is innocent or not. It was the only choice he had at the time. But when he discovered Green K could kill him, he thought he finally had a way to end it all.

Yes regardless of the killing and stuff, Davis has done some good things. But I wouldn't classify any of them as truly heroic until last night when he wanted to kill himself. I think that's the closest he's come so far to true heroism. And I will close by saying I do not believe one act of true heroism outweights all the good and heroic things Clark has done in the world. Sorry. Just my own personal opinion.
                No need to apologize. I don't think Davis is more heroic then Clark. I don't think they can be compared really because Clark got handed a good deal and Davis handed a bad deal. Clark has done good heroic things but one wonders would he still do that if their places were switched? Clark had a good life and people who loved him and Davis didn't yet Davis could surpass all of that and still tried to be good guy.

And before all of this happeend Davis had dedicated his life to saving people and showed he cared about people even though he didn't seem to have much people in his life to care about him.

Comment

Davis might think he is ridding the world of low life but it isn't his choice to make. It would be better if he put himself out in the desert or the highest mountain away from humans.

Not blaming you for this, but how easy was it for some to say Clark was playing God by not returning all of Chloe's memories of his secret (which I don't think he was), yet it isn't alright to say Davis is playing God by murdering a certain group of people. I call that a double standard.
                  I see what you mean, and I can respect that. It's maybe not his choice to make, I mean it's still wrong. But calling it playing God is maybe a bit exaggerated. And I agree it has been that Clark has also played God in that aspect too. After all he played with stronger powers such as going back in time to stop Lana from dying, thereby sealing the fate of someone else. That was a lot more selfish imo than what Davis is doing with killing these people.

He does have a choice. Remove himself from the temptation of killing. It's a big world where there are no humans at all.
                  Let's say he would do that. It's just a theory but here. He goes off to a deserted place where he would become Doomsday but there would be nobody to kill. However Doomsday's thirst wouldn't be settled, cause I think he only changes back into Davis when Doomsday's thirst is settled, that is why Davis kills first so he can prevent becoming Doomsday. So let's say that his thirst wasn't settled. He could become permanently Doomsday and then he would escape from this deserted world and go on killing again.
                  Last edited by Davis Bloome; 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

But does Davis truly have a choice. At this moment I've only seen three options for him in life. Kill bad guys to stop the beast. Allow himself to become the beast and kill innocents or try to spend the rest of his life with Chloe and hope that love will stop the beast. He has been trying for the first option, he never wanted the second and he can only hope, but not chose for the third option. So maybe he does have a small choice. Kill innocents or kill baddies... What's the best one?
                    I say having love stop the beast with in is the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by chlo-el
                      I say having love stop the beast with in is the best choice.
                      I agree which is what Davis is shooting for!

Comment

Originally posted by saltyweeks
                        In a way, I think Davis, at this point, is a bigger hero than Clark is. It depends on your definition of a few concepts and your feelings on nautre/nuture, but consider this:

* Clark was destined by his nature to save the world. Davis was destined by his nature to destroy it.

* Clark was born to be a hero, Davis a beast.

* Clark was raised by a loving family and taught heroic, self-sacrificing values. Davis was put in a cage, abandoned on the street, and shuttled around foster homes.

*Clark has been continually reinforced to believe in himself by those who know of his deeds. Davis reads about the latest Doomsday murder in the paper and slouches into church.

AND YET, Davis himself has turned out to be a pretty good and noble guy, not a mindless killing machine. Doomsday may have been put into his DNA, but Davis really tries to make his life worthwhile for humanity. Despite his upbringing he becomes a paramedic to help people. When the beast comes out he tries to stop it, and always feels terrible about what happens, seeking religious answers and forgiveness. And when he can't control it, he tries to steer it in a vigilante direction instead of harming the innocent.

Then, when it becomes clear to him he was destined to destroy the savior of the world, his answer is-- assisted suicide to kill himself because he feels the world is safer if he sacrifices himself.

I'm sorry, but that's freakin' heroic. Davis wasn't handed any of the things Clark was either by nature or by environment. And yet, he continually tries to find a way out of his destiny so he can be who he is: a really decent guy who wants to help people. When he finds out he can't, he seeks to end his own life for the good of us all.

Yes, I know what Doomsday is destined to be. But Davis Bloom is a heck of a good fella. The way it has all been portrayed it really ISN'T his fault, not at all. And he struggles heroically against what Tess would tell him he can't fight.

When Davis loses his battle, that's when the world will be in trouble. Clark is indeed a hero, but he's had a lot of help, and he's also just a johnny-come-lately to a fight another hero has been waging all his life.

So far in the life of Doomsday the biggest enemy of Doomsday has been Davis Bloom.
                        ITA!!

Comment

I see what you mean, and I can respect that. It's maybe not his choice to make, I mean it's still wrong. But calling it playing God is maybe a bit exaggerated. And I agree it has been that Clark has also played God in that aspect too. After all he played with stronger powers such as going back in time to stop Lana from dying, thereby sealing the fate of someone else. That was a lot more selfish imo than what Davis is doing with killing these people.
                          I don't like the word selfish in wanting to save someone you love from dying. That is called trying to save a life. Clark regreted going back in time. He knows the problems with time travel and destroyed the Legion ring. Clark changed because of his mistake.

Davis might have regrets for being a killer, but he will not change. Keeping Chloe by his side to control the beast is a form of slavery. He made her make a choice between freedom or staying with him. She will not have a normal life and has broken the law by hiding a killer which will backfire according to a spoiler which I can't mention. Davis has selfish reasons for his actions.

I just don't get why people try to justify why Davis is a killer and try to make him a good guy. This is just backwards thinking to me. I'll never understand it, so to each their own.

Comment

Davis is a MURDERER. That is not heroic at all. And trying to JUSTIFY it by saying that he is trying to fight the beast within is a cop-out.

The difference between Clark and Davis is that Clark believes that you cannot take a life, period. If it was Clark fighting an inner beast, I think he would move himself to a place where he wouldn't hurt anyone - contrasting with Davis who is playing GOD by deciding who lives and who dies. HE decides whose crime deserves capital punishment. He is a danger to everyone around him, he stays and works in a densely populated city. Sorry but there is NOTHING heroic in that.

Chloe deserves everything thats coming to her for harbouring this monster.

Comment

Davis assumed, based in the pain he felt from the meteor rocks for about 5 seconds when he was a child, that kryptonite might kill him. He wasn't 100% sure he would die but he was very much aware of the fact that, if he came back from this one, he would become immune to death by kryptonite.

I don't see anything heroic about him. Tragic, yes, bot not heroic. I don't think he's a hero or a martyr because he knew there were chances that he would come back from that chamber and become an even bigger threat. Entering a suicidal chamber knowing you can survive is not a sacrifice, is just playing with your chances.

We don't know much about Davis' background either, just that Lionel Luthor discarded him five days after he found him. So we don't know if his choice of being a paramedic is purely altruistic, if he was moved by guilt or just a way to cover the trail of carnage he usually leaves behind. Just because he's handsome and has good intentions doesn't mean that what he's doing is right. If I were in his place, I would live like a hermit on top of a deserted mountain to narrow down the possiblity of killing someone. Yet Davis chose to live in a huge city, with lots of possible victims within reach 24/7.

So no, I don't think he's a hero. I don't pity him because his tragic story. He's a genetically ingeneerd killing machine and that's not going to change.

Comment

I don't like the word selfish in wanting to save someone you love from dying. That is called trying to save a life. Clark regreted going back in time. He knows the problems with time travel and destroyed the Legion ring. Clark changed because of his mistake.
                                So you're saying it wasn't selfish. Yes he went back to save the one he loves... almost as if Lana was a possession to him he lost. And he knew the consequences. If he brought back Lana someone else would die, but he chose to ignore it. But I agree that he did learn from his lesson in the future. He knew it was dangerous to play again with time travel and that's why he destroyed the ring.

Davis might have regrets for being a killer, but he will not change. Keeping Chloe by his side to control the beast is a form of slavery. He made her make a choice between freedom or staying with him. She will not have a normal life and has broken the law by hiding a killer which will backfire according to a spoiler which I can't mention. Davis has selfish reasons for his actions.
                                Everybody has a choice, as you said. Chloe made hers. And she made her choice out of love and dedication for Clark. I'm not saying that there's nothing morally wrong with what both are doing. But nevertheless I admire what both are trying to do and I admire the dedication they have to each other and the dedication Davis has to stop himself. If he didn't care or had no morals at all then he could just let go and let the beast go lose. And he learned those morals probably by himself as he mostly had no one to learn from.

I just don't get why people try to justify why Davis is a killer and try to make him a good guy. This is just backwards thinking to me. I'll never understand it, so to each their own.
                                He is a good guy. He kills for the greater good. It's a different heroism than Clark for sure. And to sacrifice yourself for the greater good is heroic imo. It's not everyday it happens that one is determined to sacrifice his own life to save the life of others. Mostly humans are selfish and would chose to save their own life above others. I mean when was the last time Clark was faced with self-sacrifice?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎