No announcement yet.

Did Chloe Make the Right Choice...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MountainSniper
    Innocent or guilty no single life is worth risking the existence of all mankind by not taking out the super powered alien space monster and nor is such a moral choice.
    The problem with your argument is that you assume those are the only two options: kill one person or save the rest of the world. However, you can never know beforehand whether those are the only two possible outcomes, and certainly not in this case.

Clark seems to believe there is always another way and even though that may seem very unlikely in some situations, who can say? In my oppinion that is a valid objection to killing that single person.

The conventional issue about killing is that we do not get to decide who lives and who dies. In that respect you are right that it shouldn't matter whether someone is innocent or not, but that doesn't seem to be the point you're making.

You seem to be saying that the end justifies the means, whatever the means are (killing innocent or guilty doesn't matter). That may be a valid opinion, but I think it's generally accepted it is not a moral stance. To be clear, one immoral choice doens't make you and immoral person. As I said earlier, the moral stance may not always be the right one.

I guess the point I'm making is that the choice is never a simple one and there are shades of grey to be considered. I don't believe the end necessarily justifies the means and you have to carefully consider both the end (protecting millions of innocents is worth much, but you never know how many people are really in danger) and the means (killing a monster that is actually killing people is different from killing a man that is also trying to prevent that monster from killing people - they happen to be the same in this case, but it does complicate matters).

This may be a somewhat arrogant stance. You still have to decide who gets to live and die and why. But I think we can agree you can't hide away from such a choice when millions are at stake. However that doesn't mean you can rush such a choice either and I can certainly understand why someone would only kill as a last resort.
    Last edited by Pantalaimon; 04-17-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• I brought up the Phantom Zone in another thread as an option. I think Chloe was picturing her Pain in the Ass husband when she pulled the lever.

Comment

• clark is gonna go balistic when he finds out chloe is hiding davis in the talon basement.chloe is getting more untrustworthy as the season goes on.murdering people to protect clark while not under the influence of brainac and god knows what revelations are to come.could chloe betray clark?

Comment

• Hi Pantalaimon,

Originally posted by Pantalaimon
          The problem with your argument is that you assume those are the only two options: kill one person or save the rest of the world. However, you can never know beforehand whether those are the only two possible outcomes, and certainly not in this case. .
          You never know anything for sure so if you waited for certainty you would never do anything, ever, about anything.

A reasonable rule of thumb for Clark is where the fate of the entire world is at stake it is usually pretty smart to listen to your super intelligent space daddy’s advice for dealing with the threat.

Clark didn’t do that and instead of one death of a psycho mass murder Lex Clark is partly responsible for the dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions of people killed in the riots of Black Thursday.

Clark seems to believe there is always another way and even though that may seem very unlikely in some situations, who can say? In my oppinion that is a valid objection to killing that single person.

Who? How about all those innocent people around the world killed in the riots and those additional innocent people killed by the phantoms Clark released from the Phantom zone when he escaped.

The conventional issue about killing is that we do not get to decide who lives and who dies.
          Who told you this?

Does your personal philosophy apply to someone that has the fate of the world dependent on his decision to save it by taking a single life?

In that respect you are right that it shouldn't matter whether someone is innocent or not, but that doesn't seem to be the point you're making.
          The point is one life innocent or guilty is not worth all mankind. It’s not rocket science.

but I think it's generally accepted it is not a moral stance.
          That is only your personal opinion which is fine however that doesn’t change my personal opinion of the situations in discussion on Smallville which is sometimes one life has to be sacrificed for the sake of all mankind.

I guess the point I'm making is that the choice is never a simple one and there are shades of grey to be considered.
          Clark didn’t have the luxury of time on Smallville and what happened was dozens, hundreds, thousands, millions died etc.

Zod escaped and Clark only by dumb luck, circumstance and fate was able to escape the Phantom zone and defeat Zod but that doesn’t bring back to life all the innocents killing in riots and by Phantoms etc.

It was not Clark’s brilliant plan that defeated Brainiac since he wanted the Legion and their special powers to immediately return to the future. It is only because the Legion refused to listen to Clark and stayed that their special powers were available to defeat Brainiac.

Clark’s inability to make the tough call in a timely manner either increases the risk to the world or results in the deaths of a whole lot of innocent people. There is nothing moral or noble about it.

Cheers Mountain Sniper

Comment

• Bad choice for Chloe.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍