No announcement yet.

Clark Chose Lois over Lana

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Nora-
    Precisely. He didn't even consider it. Yes, KK left the show but storywise that doesn't matter. Clark chose to pick up Lois from the airport in time over going back and fix things with Lana.
    I am a shipper myself, but I disagree. I would be sick if it was Chloe and not Lois, that's saying a lot coming from a chlark fan. Clark's motivation was not ship related, it had to do with Lake and his secret being exposed. Clark is not as self centered as he may appear, he was doing what was best for the world, and of course his friends.

I will admit, he picked up Lois in this timeline, but he would have done the same for any of his other friends. He learned to be considerate, at least in this episode, who knows about the next one.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Dominicus
    :

Not mention when Lois talk about Chloe being in danger, he immediately put the ring on and didn't do a Lois Lane hands on rescue like that.
    First of all, Lois never got to tell Clark that Chloe was in danger. If I am wrong, I stand corrected. Even if he did know Chloe was in danger, he probably figured going back in time would save her anyway. We have proof in many previous episodes that Clark cares very much about what happens to Chloe.
    Last edited by SpiritedDiva; 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Clana4Life
      As so many have said before, he couldn't use the ring to go back in time and save Lana because KK is gone. If he had saved Lana, then she's be around. They'd be living together, and fighting crime all over Metropolis and the world. That just can't happen without KK. Yes, the writers must have realized this would create a huge plothole after viewers saw Infamous. But chalk it up to what it is - as someone else said, messy writing - not a choosing one woman over another.

Originally posted by supes0
      My explanation... messy plot hole due to poor storytelling.

I agree with what both of you said here. It is hard to read too much into why he went back in time to pick up Lois on time instead of going back to save Lana. I think the writers simply wanted to revert back to the beginning of the episode. They can't have him go back to save Lana or anyone else because they are unavailable. I just didn't see any deeper meaning that he chose Lois over Lana.

Originally posted by myankskent
      I really don't see what the point is for Lana to stay. She can't be near Clark. She can't live in the same house as him. She can't have a relationship with him. It's kind of hard to interact with a person who can't get within 20 feet of you. At the end of the day, they'd probably only be able to talk to each other on the phone for the most part, which is something that they can do with Lana out of town anyway.

Originally posted by supes0
      And if KK hadn't left, you know they would have found a way while dragging out a cure.

Originally posted by myankskent
      Well, that's the issue for me. This storyline doesn't work if KK is no longer a main character so TPTB just had both characters assume that no cure is available. I really can't read into it anymore than that.

I agree that if KK hadn't left, TPTB may have tried to keep Clark and Lana together while dragging out a cure, but since they didn't have that option I think they tried to come up with a way to separate them that would be insurmountable. In their minds, there is no way to solve the problem. The only one that could help them is Dr. Grohl, and Lana said that she had been working with him and they had tried everything that they could to reverse the process. There are no other experts in alien nano-technology that they can consult to try to solve the problem. Given the unusual nature of their problem, I thought that Lana leaving was probably one of the kindest things that she could do for herself and for Clark. She knows that he would probably continue to try to go near her and she could not bear for him to continue to put himself through that pain, nor could she bear it. It is also understandable to me that she would find it painful to stick around and watch Clark from afar go on with his life and find someone else. She also knows that if she stays, he will once again be distracted from his destiny by trying to find a cure for her. By leaving, she loves him enough to let him go and allow him to try to move on and be happy and fulfill his destiny.

To me, TPTB made a mistake early this season by all of sudden having Lois have feelings for Clark and then having the almost-kiss in Bride when they knew that KK was coming back for her five episode arc. The Lana arc was consistent with all the previous seasons in that Clark loves Lana and Lana loves Clark. I think it was simply too early to try to develop some sort of Clois relationship with the Clana relationship still unresolved. It's not like they didn't know that KK was coming back and had to throw something together at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by jlbtjb316
        I agree that if KK hadn't left, TPTB may have tried to keep Clark and Lana together while dragging out a cure, but since they didn't have that option I think they tried to come up with a way to separate them that would be insurmountable. In their minds, there is no way to solve the problem. The only one that could help them is Dr. Grohl, and Lana said that she had been working with him and they had tried everything that they could to reverse the process. There are no other experts in alien nano-technology that they can consult to try to solve the problem. Given the unusual nature of their problem, I thought that Lana leaving was probably one of the kindest things that she could do for herself and for Clark. She knows that he would probably continue to try to go near her and she could not bear for him to continue to put himself through that pain, nor could she bear it. It is also understandable to me that she would find it painful to stick around and watch Clark from afar go on with his life and find someone else. She also knows that if she stays, he will once again be distracted from his destiny by trying to find a cure for her. By leaving, she loves him enough to let him go and allow him to try to move on and be happy and fulfill his destiny.
        I agree with you in some points, it was kind of Lana to leave so she would spare Clark the pain of trying to be close to her and hurting himself (because we know he was going to try) but we must not forget that Lana left him three times. The first one (end of S3) she told Clark, but the other two times she left him heartbroken, thinking that she was dead the first time and that she didn't love him the second time she vanished from the face of Earth. She also tried to leave in Siren, but Clark stopped her. So, basically, I think Lana doesn't want to be with Clark or doesn't think Clark is the person she wants to share her life with. Every time she had the chance, she left to pursue her own goals. I think Lana is still searching for her identity, trying to find out what she wants to do with her life. She came back to Smallville because she wanted a super powered suit, not because she wanted to be with Clark and I think the reason why she left had nothing to do with Clark's destiny, it's because she wanted to fulfill hers.
        Last edited by Bizarrolover; 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Lana's super now, just like Clark.

Clark can go back in time and fix his foul-ups; if Lana wants to fix hers, she should get her own Lana-worshiping gang of groupies from the future to come back in time and give her her own time-warp decoder ring! Then she can clean up after herself just like Clark can.

Comment

Please , all the kryptonite suit´s stuff was brought to end Lana´s participation in the show . To say that clark the character doesn´t know that KK is no longer in the show is a poor argument . Writers showed clearly that clark did all he could to fix the situation and obviously ,in some way, to travel back in time was not an option.

All of these speculations seem another desperate search of closure for the clana,a closure that writers aren´t trying to bring us (at least on this way)

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny8
              If any thing shows me that Clark chose Lois over Lana, this episode did. Clark had the Legion ring. He chose to use it to make sure that he picked Lois up on time from the airport, but he did not use it to reverse what happened to Lana.
              I never even thought of that. Bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                I agree with you in some points, it was kind of Lana to leave so she would spare Clark the pain of trying to be close to her and hurting himself (because we know he was going to try) but we must not forget that Lana left him three times. The first one (end of S3) she told Clark, but the other two times she left him heartbroken, thinking that she was dead the first time and that she didn't love him the second time she vanished from the face of Earth. She also tried to leave in Siren, but Clark stopped her. So, basically, I think Lana doesn't want to be with Clark or doesn't think Clark is the person she wants to share her life with. Every time she had the chance, she left to pursue her own goals. I think Lana is still searching for her identity, trying to find out what she wants to do with her life. She came back to Smallville because she wanted a super powered suit, not because she wanted to be with Clark and I think the reason why she left had nothing to do with Clark's destiny, it's because she wanted to fulfill hers.
                Think for a second on what are you saying.In season3 she went to Paris but she wasn´t on a relationship with him and I remember that Clark could convince her to stay but finally he didn´t do it.Also you have to remember that was clark the one who leave Lana at first.

Then she faked her death but not to leave him , she wanted to protect him from lionel because he told her that if she wasn´t with lex he would kill clark.And for her own security of course.

And the last one, she was forced to say what she said in the tape and was kidnapped.

We are talking about third factors one more time.

Comment

There are two incidents that stick w me in the Lana/Clark relationship that would have made me very confused if I were Clark. First, that she left Jonathan's victory party to go talk to Lex. And second that she felt closer to Bizarro. I don't even count marrying Lex because that was more of a rebound thing. But those other two would give me pause.

Comment

Originally posted by Jor-Fer
                    Think for a second on what are you saying.In season3 she went to Paris but she wasn´t on a relationship with him and I remember that Clark could convince her to stay but finally he didn´t do it.Also you have to remember that was clark the one who leave Lana at first.

Then she faked her death but not to leave him , she wanted to protect him from lionel because he told her that if she wasn´t with lex he would kill clark.And for her own security of course.

And the last one, she was forced to say what she said in the tape and was kidnapped.

We are talking about third factors one more time.
                    I agree that the first time they weren't in a relationship, but she made it clear that she wanted to leave Smallville and more specifically Clark to 'find herself' or something. She didn't tell him until after she bought the tickets because she knew that he was the only one that could stop her. She told Clark that and he respected her wish.

The other two were third factors, but that doesn't change the fact that Lana disappeared for months and didn't have the consideration of letting Clark know that she was all right. I usually don't accept the 'I was protecting you' excuse, either coming from Lana or Clark, becaue I think it's the typical excuse that comes from someone who is avoiding a bigger issue, in their case, the lack of trust they had for each other. A simple 'I'm dissappearing for a couple of months, I'll contact you when It's safe' like Clark said to Chloe in Infamous, would have been enough. But, I guess, you have to trust the other person to say that and the other person has to trust you to wait until that moment comes. She was afraid that Lex would find her, that's why she said she didn't call Clark, but she called other people, coordinated Lionel's kidnap, founded Isis and mounted an sphisticated spy web from Shanghai (Lex traced her voice via sattelite) but she never called Clark, who she knew was mourning her death. To me, that scrams I don't want to be with you.

The last one, when Lana was kidnapped, she escaped that same night and didn't contact Clark, the person she was living with, to tell she was all right and chose to let him think she was running away from him. Hell, she even talked to Chloe and asked her not to tell Clark she was all right. Then she decides to stop being a victim, and finds this trainer that made her a stronger person. She came out stronger and started her quest for the super suit, excluding Clark, once again, from her plans.

I think getting back with Clark was never in Lana's plans when she came for Chloe's wedding. Because if you really want start a life with someone, there are things you must share before committing. A super suit that will affect your life forever is one of them, in the same way Clark told her he was an alien when he decided he wanted to share his life with her. She knew Clark was going to object, but she also knew she could convince him. He seemed to like it during the time it worked.

There is one thing Clark said in Requiem that really hit me and that I think defines their relationship. He said, 'please, don't leave, not again.' She left him enough times for him to know better. If I'm not wrong the times Clark broke up with her, he did it to her face. He didn't disappear. I remember that happened in Exodus and Hypnotic. In one he said 'I'm leaving, come with me,' in the other 'I don't love you anymore.' He ended things (though unfortunately he was trying once again a few months later, the man can't make up his mind).

In one way, in think that what you say is right but probably not because of the same reasons you stated. I think Lana is letting Clark go, but not because she loves him and doesn't want to stop him from fulfilling his destiny, it's because she doesn't think her destiny is with him and she sees that Clark cannot accept that.

I'm not trying to change your point of view, I'm trying to make clear mine.
                    Last edited by Bizarrolover; 03-19-2009, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarrolover
                      I agree that the first time they weren't in a relationship, but she made it clear that she wanted to leave Smallville and more specifically Clark to 'find herself' or something. She didn't tell him until after she bought the tickets because she knew that he was the only one that could stop her. She told Clark that and he respected her wish.

The other two were third factors, but that doesn't change the fact that Lana disappeared for months and didn't have the consideration of letting Clark know that she was all right. I usually don't accept the 'I was protecting you' excuse, either coming from Lana or Clark, becaue I think it's the typical excuse that comes from someone who is avoiding a bigger issue, in their case, the lack of trust they had for each other. A simple 'I'm dissappearing for a couple of months, I'll contact you when It's safe' like Clark said to Chloe in Infamous, would have been enough. But, I guess, you have to trust the other person to say that and the other person has to trust you to wait until that moment comes. She was afraid that Lex would find her, that's why she said she didn't call Clark, but she called other people, coordinated Lionel's kidnap, founded Isis and mounted an sphisticated spy web from Shanghai (Lex traced her voice via sattelite) but she never called Clark, who she knew was mourning her death. To me, that scrams I don't want to be with you.

The last one, when Lana was kidnapped, she escaped that same night and didn't contact Clark, the person she was living with, to tell she was all right and chose to let him think she was running away from him. Hell, she even talked to Chloe and asked her not to tell Clark she was all right. Then she decides to stop being a victim, and finds this trainer that made her a stronger person. She came out stronger and started her quest for the super suit, excluding Clark, once again, from her plans.

I think getting back with Clark was never in Lana's plans when she came for Chloe's wedding. Because if you really want start a life with someone, there are things you must share before committing. A super suit that will affect your life forever is one of them, in the same way Clark told her he was an alien when he decided he wanted to share his life with her. She knew Clark was going to object, but she also knew she could convince him. He seemed to like it during the time it worked.

There is one thing Clark said in Requiem that really hit me and that I think defines their relationship. He said, 'please, don't leave, not again.' She left him enough times for him to know better. If I'm not wrong the times Clark broke up with her, he did it to her face. He didn't disappear. I remember that happened in Exodus and Hypnotic. In one he said 'I'm leaving, come with me,' in the other 'I don't love you anymore.' He ended things (though unfortunately he was trying once again a few months later, the man can't make up his mind).

In one way, in think that what you say is right but probably not because of the same reasons you stated. I think Lana is letting Clark go, but not because she loves him and doesn't want to stop him from fulfilling his destiny, it's because she doesn't think her destiny is with him and she sees that Clark cannot accept that.

I'm not trying to change your point of view, I'm trying to make clear mine.
                      I catched it

Comment

Originally posted by MountainSniper
                        No it doesn’t; you are just reaching for straws to wave the flag for your ship!
                        Sorry, MountainSiper, but I'm not a shipper. But regarding the questions you asked in your entire post, why not? Why couldn't Clark go back to all those times and change them since he had the ring? The Legion went back 1000 years so he could to.

----- Added 11 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Snowfire
                        This whole thread is just another in a long line meant to undermine and demean the power of Clana's relationship when it has been proven time and time again to be resiliant, profound and transcendant, over everything.... She doesn't mean much to him and like has been said quite elegantly already, he's just not that into her.
                        You could say the same of the thread you just praised, Snowfire. I did not write the show. I am only criticizing why the writer's had Clark go back in time but not far enough to make sure Lana was not kryptonite infested. KK being on the show has nothing to do with it. MR is not on the show and his character was still going strong (that is, until they allegedly killed him).

----- Added 17 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by jlbtjb316
                        To me, TPTB made a mistake early this season by all of sudden having Lois have feelings for Clark and then having the almost-kiss in Bride when they knew that KK was coming back for her five episode arc. The Lana arc was consistent with all the previous seasons in that Clark loves Lana and Lana loves Clark. I think it was simply too early to try to develop some sort of Clois relationship with the Clana relationship still unresolved. It's not like they didn't know that KK was coming back and had to throw something together at the last minute.
                        You are totally right. Now if we can see that can't the show runner's? You would think this would have been thoroughly thought out.

----- Added 21 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Jor-Fer
                        All of these speculations seem another desperate search of closure for the clana,a closure that writers aren´t trying to bring us (at least on this way)

No it's not, Jor-Fer. It's about why can Clark use the Legion ring to save himself, but not use it for the supposed love of his life?
                        Last edited by Sunny8; 03-20-2009, 03:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by BizzaroLover

I appreciate your response to my post and always enjoy hearing different points of view. I agree that Lana has left Clark a couple of times, and Clark has also left her, walked away from their relationship and/or pushed her away many times as well. One of the frustrating things about both Clark and Lana is that they tend to make decisions about their relationship without consulting each other (even though I believe they have the best of intentions). In those times that Lana has left I don't think it is because she doesn’t want to be with Clark or doesn’t think he is the one she wants to share her life with. I feel like the underlying reason that she leaves in most cases is that she either loves him and can't be in a relationship with him or she wants to protect him.

In season 3 Clark had ended their relationship and pushed her away while at the same time giving her mixed signals. I think she was afraid of being hurt by him again, but she still loved him. Deep down I think she wanted him to reach out to her and ask her to stay and when he did not, she assumed that he did not want a relationship with her and left to spare herself the pain of being near him without being with him. When she left at the end of season 6, she thought she had to leave for their own protection, not because she didn’t love him. She left to protect herself from Lex and to give herself time to figure out how to get out from under the Luthors and protect Clark at the same time. As for the Siren episode, I don’t believe she was leaving Clark or breaking up with him. She was simply going to stay with Chloe for a few days to give Clark some space after their earlier argument that day. In that very conversation at the end of Siren she reiterated her commitment to their relationship.

At the end of season 7, Lana did not leave Clark out of choice. She was kidnapped by Lex’s men and forced to make the video tape. I think that after she escaped she probably wanted to lay low for a while and stay off of Lex’s radar screen while she prepared herself to better resist such attacks in the future. Clark did not know that she had been kidnapped but thought that she left so that she would not hold him back. Perhaps after learning about all the good that Clark was doing, she felt that maybe Clark was better off without her. Even back in season 7 (in the episode Action I think) Lana expressed concern to Clark that she was holding him back from his destiny. I think she still loved Clark and wanted to be with him but felt like they couldn’t be together because Clark’s constant concern for her safety would hinder his work. I think Lana so believed in Clark and the great good that he could do for the world that she gave up what she wanted so that he could fulfill his destiny. I think her decisions are debatable and that she should have gone back to talk to Clark about this, but I think she thought she was doing the right thing for Clark. I think she then tried to bury her feelings and focus on what to do with her life and maybe how she could help both Clark and the world - which led her to the Prometheus suit. Using it, she could keep the technology from being used for evil by Lex and could help make the world a better place.

When she came back for Chloe’s wedding I think it was her feelings for Clark that kept her from leaving again. I think it was after the events of Bulletproof when she learned that Clark still loved her and wanted to try to have a relationship with her that she began to hope that perhaps they could finally be together. None of the events or dialogue of Requiem led me to believe that she left because she did not want Clark to hold her back from being a hero. As I said in my original post, I think they both truly thought that this was an insurmountable problem and that she left because she loved him so much that she wanted to spare them both the pain that her staying would cause and to allow him to focus on his destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny8
                            Why couldn't Clark go back to all those times and change them since he had the ring? The Legion went back 1000 years so he could to.
                            He could have gone back to any time but why did'nt he? You're basically saying that he chose Lois over Lana. It's difficult for me to believe that his choice had anything to do with Lois. If he really wanted to he could have gone back to any point in time and changed things for the better and still been with Lois Lane if that's what he wanted. I can imagine that before "Infamous" Clark thought about the possibility of changing things for the better. However, he knew what the consequences of time travel were. He learned this in "Reckoning". IMO he knew there were many variables involved and things may not work out the way he wanted. When he destroyed the ring at the end he was showing me how dangerous he believed that ring was and that messing with the timeline was not something to be taken lightly.

In "Infamous" when he decided to use the ring IMO his focus was on correcting the state the world was in because he had revealed his secret. He had run out of options and used it as a last resort. I don't believe he would have used the ring unless the situation was dire enough to warrant it's use.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicus
                              Not mention when Lois talk about Chloe being in danger, he immediately put the ring on and didn't do a Lois Lane hands on rescue like that.----- Added 8 Minutes later -----

Actions speak louder then words, and he's starting to verbalize his feelings, I say give it time. But so far I see him moving on at this point.
                              ITA on both points!!!

----- Added 23 Minutes later -----

After Reckoning he learned not to alter death, in that case someone did have to lose their life in exchange for Clark's, that is not something that can really be undone. It could be he has accepted those things as part of his destiny and should stay that way. He was questioning Lana being back in his life after they had kissed. He talked about his progression, he made the same choice as he did in Requiem when he told Lana to go ahead and absorb the kryptonite. He was made a solid stand for once and drew a line and destroyed the Legion ring, whatever come in consequence, comes. The past is the past and the future, is well the future. He went as far back in time he felt was necessary, and before Linda showed up, but nowhere near the time of Requiem. The fact that he cared enough to make sure picked Lois up from the airport show where his mind is at.
                              Very well said. I especially like the part I bolded here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowfire
                                This whole thread is just another in a long line meant to undermine and demean the power of Clana's relationship when it has been proven time and time again to be resiliant, profound and transcendant, over everything.

I don't even have to doubt Clark's feelings or actions because I have 8 years of episodes to know who will always be in his mind and heart. It's been obvious and evident how much Clana matters in Smallville and even with Lana (Kristin Kreuk) moving on the writers can never undue all they've done to make them shine so brightly. White hot.

No opinion or argument on here has proven Clark loves Lana less because he chose to use the Legion ring to erase the mistake he made in his lonliness and despair after Lana left. This episode proved how much of a waste of time the story was and how meaningless it was to Clark. Lois was just lucky he showed her pity by picking her up at the airport. He erased her along with all the mess that happened so the least he could do was show up on time and pick up his friend.

Clark could have gone back to whatever time he wanted to. Even back to the day in Pilot when he learned about his heritage, but he cherishes all the memories he has and all the decisions he's made to get him to where he is. Going back to any moment before Infamous would have shown how insignificant and unimportant they were to him. He and Lana loved every moment they shared together before Lana absorbed the Kryptonite and he would never want to erase those memories she had. And he knows they can overcome this minor bump in the road to their happily ever after, like they have countless times before.

If he cared for anything or anyone in that timeline following Requiem he would have never erased and rewound it. The only feelings he has for Lois afterwards are of guilt for having to shut her out even more. He doesn't have any reason to tell her anything now. She doesn't mean much to him and like has been said quite elegantly already, he's just not that into her.
                                I also wanted to add that Clark picking up Lois the second time around was such a friendly gesture and convient for both of them since they work at the same place so it wasn't as if he went out of his way. It's a shame though that all those crimes he stopped the first time were left to happen for the sake of having a less cranky Lois. I still can't believe some people are still making so much about something so small. If he went back in time to save her life like he did Lana then I would concede but thankfully I don't have to worry about anything Clois, except for the assumptions and exaggerations made around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎