Collapse
No announcement yet.

She's Alive!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

everything you're saying is utterly subjective..from YOUR perception the show is trying to make thing more believable when you could be completing blindsighted by its mature tone. Most viewers enjoy it from what he has to offer. I think what's really going in is that YOU are making it more real than it should be..I mean where do you draw the line of realism when a guy is flying out a window? And you honestly say that reading a mind is more real than superspeed? sry but you can't quantify realness.

but that's the problem..you want this to be real and what were saying is that there's a MASSIVE line that splits real from fiction. Science fiction exists for our entertainment and not for analyzing. The problem is that you're stuck in a nonexistent world between that. It's already a wonderful mix of unreal abilities and seemingly normal people with some dramatic or psychological if you will, depth. That's the beauty of fiction. I'm certainly sure that people are pulled more so by the story and its elements and the fact that powers exists in this fiction rather than the gritty detail of how they should work.

also-the Flash/Superman super speed example was not for Heroes reference. Never said this was the explanation for Daphne. Just throwing out that writers do try to offer some light explanations for those kind of analyzers such as yourself..

i'm done...going to sleep man...done on this thread because what u want doesn't exists and the show already gives enough of its realism with its wonderful plots and characters. you ignored 100% of wha I said anyway. if you want to take away daphne's power because it's supposely "less real" than others then take away like 99.99% of the powers of the show and whattya get..no fun...lol. I don't think your argument is sound...like I said you can't take away the hammer from the person beating the dead horse if he wants to hold on that hammer ever so tightly...
    Last edited by j-kent; 02-24-2009, 04:12 AM.

Comment

I'd still be worried to be honest. Theres only one thing I could think of that would make Matt Parkman nuke DC.

Comment

i'm glad she's alive.... representing people with disabilities who inspire to be super heroes also

and shame on matt for not even making sure she really died (not to mention a proper burial) once the danger was cleared

Comment

Originally posted by Level5
          I'm not saying that any of this can be proved in any science. I'm saying it's how REAL they make it seem. Right now, with Daphne's power there is just no way they can make it seem real. Controlling stuff with the mind is more real than Daphne's power, so is super strength. Because, at least, they wont rip you apart.
          I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but I do think this is a rather subjective POV. However, I think there's a better way to explain why people think that you can't just single out one power and call it "unrealistic".

Let's look over a list of powers we would have to nix because they aren't real enough for the show and would have adverse effects on themselves:

Flight: Nathan, Peter - They would freeze to death traveling that fast high in the air. Their eardrums would explode from the sonic booms they create. Their eyeballs would dry up. Maybe even swallow a bug or two.

Cryokenisis: Tracy - One word - hypothermia.

Computer talking thingy: Micah - My guess is he'd probably electrocute himself or fry his own brain. You know how much information is on the net? This guy should have been at the top of the list of unrealistic abilities.

Cell Regeneration: Claire - When Sylar cut off her scalp, she wasn't sporting a new hair cut when he put it back on. Did he make sure not to ruin her hair? Or did her hair re-grow? Does that mean she can never get a haircut or cut her fingernails? Will she end up looking like Cousin Itt?

Strength: Mohinder - Imagine the damage he could do to himself if he scratched himself in his sleep.

Pryokenisis: Claire's real mommy - 50th degree burns. And her clothes would set on fire. She could/should have been naked every episode. I think nail polish is flammable too. She would look like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

Mind Reading/Telepathy: Parkman
          - If reading one mind can cause his nose to bleed, his brain should have hemorrhaged or exploded when Ando touched him.

I could go on but there would be no cast left. To be fair, if you get specific with one ability, you have to get specific with all abilities. Science, physics, all that groovy stuff should be left out of the equation. We should assume that each character is immune to their own ability. Everyone will have their own perspective and personal bias. The point is, there's really no way they can make any ability seem real, so they do the best they can. We have to accept it and appreciate it.

Comment

j-kent, I never said I wanted this to be real, nor do I think any of it is, but I have to draw the line at some point of what level of fiction I'm welling to accept. And I also don't like you saying that I have somehow warped the reality that this is real, what, are you saying I'm retarded?

I can tell you that I don't watch this TV show because it's just "cool" like: "look daddy someone using a power!" NO, I watch this TV show because I could get into it. And question every little aspect of it, and somehow still come out with the illusion that it's just freaking awesome.

Alright, Lets say Daphne is immune to her on power, then great, I can believe and accept that, but the writers didn't even drop a hint on how her power works. But you know, maybe that's just expecting too much out of this show anymore. It's just about mutants with powers, getting hunted and destroying the world. You know maybe if the writing was a little better, then I wouldn't even have enough time to think about this stuff. But this episode did nothing but make me think Heroes is just a dumb, stupid, unbelievable show about crazy mutants with powers. I'll tell you right now, Heroes is quickly losing me as a viewer.

Oh, and none of you have told me how Daphne is able to carry people with her, yet.

Originally posted by IzzyX
            Flight: Nathan, Peter - They would freeze to death traveling that fast high in the air. Their eardrums would explode from the sonic booms they create. Their eyeballs would dry up. Maybe even swallow a bug or two.
            I agree with you on this one, they need to put limits on how fast, and how high he can fly. Then, and only then, could I see this being an acceptable ability for this show.

Cryokenisis: Tracy - One word - hypothermia.
            Tracy's immune to her own power like the pryokenisis people. So I'm fine with this, because it's acceptable on some level. Her ability makes it have no affect on her, simple.

Computer talking thingy: Micah - My guess is he'd probably electrocute himself or fry his own brain. You know how much information is on the net? This guy should have been at the top of the list of unrealistic abilities.
            Again this has something to do with his ability. He's ability is to talk to computers, and who's to say he's downloading every bit of information on the web? And the brain can hold quiet a lot of stuff, dude. So who's to say you can't actually download and store all of the Internet?

Strength: Mohinder - Imagine the damage he could do to himself if he scratched himself in his sleep.
            Super strength means exactly what it sounds like, He's really strong and can't be hurt easily. So I can accept this ability, because it's believable on some level. And who scratches themselves in their sleep?

Pryokenisis: Claire's real mommy - 50th degree burns. And her clothes would set on fire. She could/should have been naked every episode. I think nail polish is flammable too. She would look like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.
            Again, immune to her own ability, so fire doesn't hurt her. And, yes her clothes would burn off, but come on dude, they can't do that on TV.

Mind Reading/Telepathy: Parkman - If reading one mind can cause his nose to bleed, his brain should have hemorrhaged or exploded when Ando touched him.
            It was a simple inconsistency. You know, they have quiet a few of them in this show.

So, right now, the two things that are killing this show for me, are the superspeed ability, and the flying ability. They need to put limits on them both, and bring them more down to earth.

Comment

Your right none of this is real, but her power is so fake in fact, that nobody should except it.

Most of the powers on this show, at least, make some sense. but Daphne would need other powers to make hers work. she would need a special suit, something that wouldn't catch fire from the friction. And she would need super strength to take the force of moving that fast. And she would need to have super fast eye sight, and the ability to make really fast decisions.
              I like to think of it more as everything slows down around here. Similar to how you sometimes view things on Smallville. When she runs, it's very fast but to her she is running a normal speed, though she would have to have very strong lungs to run that long, which is part of the power.

Comment

Well, I guess you could say she slows down time so it just looks like she's running really fast, but that's not what we've been made to believe, and that's not what Daphne has said. She doesn't run fast, she runs really fast!

Although I like your theory, and I would accept that as a believable enough power to be on this show. But, sadly that's not what I think it is.

Comment

omg r we in physics class...who cares that is not real enuff 4 u its a freakin tv show..chill out and enjoy it...back on topic glad daphne is still alive but i hope the govt kills here so matt can go nuke on dc that wuld b nice...peter and hiro could b in on it 2 so that explains why peter and hiro are terrorist in the future eps we c..and mayb matt doesnt make it...

Comment

Originally posted by LILVILLE
                    omg r we in physics class...who cares that is not real enuff 4 u its a freakin tv show..chill out and enjoy it...
                    OK, I'll just go watch children's cartoon then, thanks. Because honestly, I think, a cartoon would be more enjoyable then this right now.

I don't think it's just be that feels this way, but rather 8 million other people who have stopped watching this show, because it's just becoming stupid, and unbelievable. Like I said, I don't need to understand how the abilities work; just as long as they stay within the amount of fiction I'm willing to take is enough for me. But, Daphne's power has crossed the line, and so has Nathan's flying ability for that matter. Get rid of them, or bring them down to earth a little, and I'm happy. Because, these are honestly the only abilities I've disliked so far; the rest stay within the amount of fiction I can take.

And I would appreciate it if you would stop turning this into a flame war, and actually bring something logical to the discussion.

Comment

My speculative theory on Daphne's ability:
                      Daphne's super speed is probably the result of traveling slightly out of phase with the 4th dimension (time). It's probably the reason why Hiro (time traveler) was able to "catch up" with her when they first met. Also, when Ando supercharged Daphne's power, she was able to super speed (time travel) a few seconds/minutes into the future. I think that's why Daphne can take other people with her through the "speed force" (DC Flash reference) or some such temporal dimension transportation system.
                      Last edited by Phantazma; 02-26-2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

So Daphne heals faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Superboy2
                          So Daphne heals faster?
                          I think they showed us that she was just hit in the shoulder. So I don't think she can heal really fast, which was why she was screaming in the flashback scenes.

Originally posted by Phantazma
                          My speculative theory on Daphne's ability:
                          Daphne's super speed is probably the result of traveling slightly out of phase with the 4th dimension (time). It's probably the reason why Hiro (time traveler) was able to "catch up" with her when they first met. Also, when Ando supercharged Daphne's power, she was able to super speed (time travel) a few seconds/minutes into the future. I think that's why Daphne can take other people with her through the "speed force" (DC Flash reference) or some such temporal dimension transportation system.
                          To me you're saying she's a time traveler. Which she isn't, or they don't want you to think she is. And there is also speculation that the 4th dimension isn't even time, but rather another spatial dimension. There has even been some speculation that our universe is 2D dimensional--probably means nothing; just thought I'd throw that out.

So over all, if they didn't say Daphne runs really fast, then I might believe that it's actually time travel. If it was time travel, then that would also explain why Hiro wasn't able to stop time around her.

Her power is just impossible to understand, which is why I have a problem with it. I can almost understand all the others, but the Flying and the Superspeed just kill me. Maybe I'm just thinking too much, though. I'm trying to find a way to make this power work in reality and just can't, because of physical limitations.
                          Last edited by Level5; 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I think they showed us that she was just hit in the shoulder. So I don't think she can heal really fast, which was why she was screaming in the flashback scenes.

To me you're saying she's a time traveler. Which she isn't, or they don't want you to think she is. And there is also speculation that the 4th dimension isn't even time, but rather another spatial dimension. There has even been some speculation that our universe is 2D dimensional--probably means nothing; just thought I'd throw that out.

So over all, if they didn't say Daphne runs really fast, then I might believe that it's actually time travel. If it was time travel, then that would also explain why Hiro wasn't able to stop time around her.

Her power is just impossible to understand, which is why I have a problem with it. I can almost understand all the others, but the Flying and the Superspeed just kill me. Maybe I'm just thinking too much, though. I'm trying to find a way to make this power work in reality and just can't, because of physical limitations.
                            Lol just read Doyle comic and he mentions that some powers have immunity of their own power in ways like Daphne + Nathan and some powers don't. But once again the comics have already shown multiple times that w/e happens in the comics not always have the same lineup with the tvshow, but just wanted to put that out there. But the only thing I didn't like Daphne power was that HIRO stops time, the literally keep saying that, so unless he really could never stop time and it was always slowing it down then that would make sense why Daphne can still move in Hiro time freeze. Freeze = no time, no time = Daphne shouldn't even be moving.

Comment

Hiro dosen't stop time he just slows it down

Comment

Originally posted by Seyee
                                Lol just read Doyle comic and he mentions that some powers have immunity of their own power in ways like Daphne + Nathan and some powers don't. But once again the comics have already shown multiple times that w/e happens in the comics not always have the same lineup with the tvshow, but just wanted to put that out there. But the only thing I didn't like Daphne power was that HIRO stops time, the literally keep saying that, so unless he really could never stop time and it was always slowing it down then that would make sense why Daphne can still move in Hiro time freeze. Freeze = no time, no time = Daphne shouldn't even be moving.
                                Right, well maybe I need to read that comic, but I've been going off what they've shown in the show.

There are several factors Daphne would have to overcome to move at that speed, such as how is she going to breathe; how is she going to take the g-forces, and friction; the some with Nathan. I guess you could say they form like an invisible bubble around them, that protected them from all of the physical forces and lack of oxygen. Which at this point, would make the most sense, but that theory doesn't work since she is able to carry other people with her. Unless when she touches them, she extends her power to them, so that they can run at super fast speeds as well. But this is my point with this power, it's just too confusing.

Originally posted by targis
                                Hiro dosen't stop time he just slows it down
                                I believe he stops it, unless you have something to prove that he doesn't?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎