Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 8 Screen Time Minutes

This thread is a work in progress, and will be updated with the totals for each remaining episode of the season.

Thanks to Craig for hosting these at K-Site

All comments and questions are welcome

Episode: ODYSSEY, Running Time: 41m, 50s

Clark: 17m, 24s
    Chloe: 10m, 18s
    Lois: 6m, 45s
    Jimmy: 1m, 59s
    Tess: 6m, 47s
    Davis:
    Oliver: 10m, 59s

*Martian Manhunter: 3m, 15s

Episode: PLASTIQUE, Running Time: 41m, 57s

Clark: 22m, 15s
    Chloe: 17m, 36s
    Lois: 9m, 33s
    Jimmy:
    Tess: 6m, 33s
    Davis: 7m, 45s
    Oliver:

Episode: TOXIC, Running Time: 41m, 50s

Clark: 16m, 1s
    Chloe: 9m, 55s
    Lois: 9m, 30s
    Jimmy:
    Tess: 15m, 22s
    Davis: 5m, 15s
    Oliver: 24m, 49s

Episode: INSTINCT, Running Time: 41m, 46s

Clark: 22m, 33s
    Chloe: 11m, 10s
    Lois: 8m, 26s
    Jimmy: 8m, 5s
    Tess: 9m, 54s
    Davis:
    Oliver:

Episode: COMMITTED, Running Time: 41m, 46s

Clark: 19m, 6s
    Chloe: 16m, 44s
    Lois: 21m, 52s
    Jimmy: 14m, 53s
    Tess: 5m, 2s
    Davis:
    Oliver: 6m, 7s

Episode: PREY, Running Time: 41m, 44s

Clark: 19m, 55s
    Chloe: 14m, 39s
    Lois:
    Jimmy: 9m, 3s
    Tess:
    Davis: 16m, 47s
    Oliver:

*Martian Manunter: 4m, 58s

Episode: IDENTITY, Running Time: 41m, 45s

Clark: 24m, 23s
    Chloe: 5m, 31s
    Lois: 13m, 20s
    Jimmy: 11m, 35s
    Tess: 4m, 29s
    Davis:
    Oliver: 6m, 36s

Episode: BLOODLINE, Running Time: 41m, 45s

Clark: 20m, 26s
    Chloe: 9m, 33s
    Lois: 19m, 16s
    Jimmy:
    Tess: 6m, 29s
    Davis: 5m, 52s
    Oliver: 5m, 26s

*Kara: 10m, 40s

Episode: ABYSS, Running Time: 41m, 40s

Clark: 20m, 57s
    Chloe: 29m, 46s
    Lois:
    Jimmy: 12m, 2s
    Tess:
    Davis: 8m, 49s
    Oliver:

Episode: BRIDE, Running Time: 41m, 18s

Clark: 19m, 38s
    Chloe: 13m, 7s
    Lois: 16m, 4s
    Jimmy: 9m, 52s
    Tess:
    Davis/Doomsday: 4m, 38s
    Oliver: 10m, 4s

*Lana Lang: 10m, 2s

Episode: LEGION, Running Time: 41m, 57s

Clark: 24m, 21s
    Chloe: 13m, 35s
    Lois:
    Jimmy:
    Tess:
    Davis: 3m, 39s
    Oliver:

*Lana Lang: 9m, 25s

Episode: BULLETPROOF, Running Time: 41m, 24s

Clark: 22m, 24s
    Chloe: 2m, 35s
    Lois:
    Jimmy:
    Tess: 7m, 45s
    Davis:
    Oliver: 7m, 7s

*Lana Lang: 9m, 11s
    *Martian Manhunter: 4m, 12s

Episode: POWER, Running Time: 41m, 40s

Clark: 15m, 2s
    Chloe: 8m, 17s
    Lois:
    Jimmy:
    Tess: 12m, 8s
    Davis:
    Oliver:

*Lana Lang: 20m, 15s

Episode: REQUIEM, Running Time: 41m, 36s

Clark: 23m, 35s
    Chloe: 10m, 19s
    Lois:
    Jimmy:
    Tess:
    Davis:
    Oliver: 12m, 10s

*Lana Lang: 19m, 21s

Episode: INFAMOUS, Running Time: 41m, 59s

Episode running time: 41m, 59s ("previously on": 53s)

Clark: 27m, 31s
    Chloe: 12m, 11s
    Lois: 14m, 41s
    Jimmy:
    Tess:
    Davis: 6m, 46s (add a few seconds if you want to include his time as full-out Doomy)
    Oliver:

Episode: TURBULENCE, Running Time: 41m, 44s

Clark: 16m, 6s
    Chloe: 13m, 18s
    Lois:
    Jimmy: 15m, 50s
    Tess: 12m, 35s
    Davis: 11m, 56s
    Oliver:

Episode: Hex, Running Time: 41m, 30s

Clark: 22m, 41s
    Chloe: 26m, 57s total*
    (*AMChloe: 9m, 50s, EDChloe: 17m, 7s)
    Lois: 4m, 20s
    Jimmy:
    Tess:
    Davis:
    Oliver: 12m, 22s

Episode: Eternal, Running Time: 41m, 46s

Clark: 16m, 1s Total*
    (*TW Clark: 15m, 19s, Wee Clark: 42s)
    Chloe: 16m, 14s
    Lois:
    Jimmy:
    Tess: 11m, 25s
    Davis: 22m, 42s Total*
    (*SW Davis: 16m, 47s, Wee Davis: 5m, 55s)
    Oliver:

Episode: STILETTO, Running Time: 41m, 58s

Clark: 18m, 56s
    Chloe: 11m, 57s
    Lois: 22m, 48s
    Jimmy: 9m, 27s
    Tess:
    Davis:*
    Oliver:

*Doomsday: 6s

Episode: INJUSTICE, Running Time: 41m, 51s

Clark: 24m, 9s
    Chloe*:
    Lois:
    Jimmy:
    Tess: 16m, 39s
    Davis:
    Oliver: 11m, 50s

*Fake Chloe: 10m, 12s

Episode: DOOMSDAY, Running Time: 42m, 19s

Clark: 21m, 40s
    Chloe: 16m, 18s
    Lois: 7m, 54s
    Jimmy: 9m, 40s
    Tess: 4m, 9s
    Davis: 8m, 10s
    Oliver: 5m, 26s

SEASON TOTALS:

Clark (22): 447m, 55s *
    Chloe (21): 290m, 30s **
    Lois (12): 154m, 29s ***
    Jimmy (11): 113m, 4s
    Tess (13): 119m, 17s
    Davis (12): 118m, 2s ****
    Oliver (12): 129m, 55s

*Tom Welling : 44m, 57s
    **Allison Mack: 281m, 19s
    ***Erica Durance: 171m, 36s
    ****Sam Witwer: 112m, 7s
    Last edited by BadToad; 05-18-2009, 07:27 PM.

I took all the Clark time that you calculated from all seasons and I made an average per episode for Clark (maybe you already did it!) rounded down:

Average per episode
    S2= 23 min
    S3= 22 min
    S4= 21 min
    S5= 20 min
    S6= 17 min
    S7= 16 min
    (Tom time: 18 min)
    S8= 20 min
    Last edited by petitemimi; 02-15-2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

No, thats cool. I'm good with numbers, but suck at averages. Go figure

Comment

Considering that each episode lasts approx 42 mins, in season 6 and 7 Tom Welling wasn't on screen as long as I thought he would be!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This truly is a great project, BadToad, and I'm grateful that you've taken the time to do this and share the info with us. Season 8 seems to be looking up in terms of average screentime for Clark (and for Lois, too, whom I particularly care about ), so I look forward to seeing how the rest of the season shakes out.

Comment

I think given the fact that there are only 2 fulltime cast members now, there was just no way they couldn't up Clark's screentime. Though he had even more screentime in the earlier seasons, with a full cast in almost every episode. Go figure.

Comment

In those early seasons, the show had fleshed out very little backstory and environment. Nowadays, Smallville has created its own universe that runs in part without Clark's participation. (Luthorcorp being a prime example.) Those early seasons were about "young Clark Kent in high school." Since then, they've built on the universe so that we can see what's happening when Clark isn't around.

Not saying it's good or bad. Just saying that's why. That's my opinion, anyway.

Comment

You could be right, but IMO, it hasn't served the show particularly well, and its taken away from the character of Clark. And if this show isn't supposed to be about Clark, and getting that character right, then I'm really wondering what the heck the whole point was.

Also, there was a ton of Luthorcorp stuff in the early seasons, and it never took away from Clark.

Comment

Pretty interesting! Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                    You could be right, but IMO, it hasn't served the show particularly well, and its taken away from the character of Clark. And if this show isn't supposed to be about Clark, and getting that character right, then I'm really wondering what the heck the whole point was.
                    Well, most TV shows adapt their own premise as time goes on for the sake of ratings and/or creativity. Clark's story can't be boring or rushed, so other stuff has to happen in order to spread it out.

Also, there was a ton of Luthorcorp stuff in the early seasons, and it never took away from Clark.
                    Sure, but in the middle of the series, we started seeing Lana's story taking off on its own; even more Lex, Lionel, and Luthorcorp drama; and eventually, more DC characters like Brainiac and Oliver. Every little subplot adds up, until they make up a fair percentage of the show. Luthorcorp was just the best example. And remember, in season 1, we saw very little of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 9-SOSIHTWB
                      Considering that each episode lasts approx 42 mins, in season 6 and 7 Tom Welling wasn't on screen as long as I thought he would be!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      S7 was crabbed up with too much Kara and Grant Gabriel.

BTW, awesome work, BT.

Comment

Well, most TV shows adapt their own premise as time goes on for the sake of ratings and/or creativity. Clark's story can't be boring or rushed, so other stuff has to happen in order to spread it out.
                        Sure, other things need to happen, but not to the detriment of Clark. Seems to me that by stalling Clark's story so badly, they've definitely hit boring territory, and now with the end very near, there's a definite rushed quality to a lot of it. IMO, good writers figure out how to write good stories for their main character, not lose interest in him because they are stretching the show out.

Sure, but in the middle of the series, we started seeing Lana's story taking off on its own;
                        I can't think of one Lana story that took off on its own that improved this show. YMMV

Every little subplot adds up, until they make up a fair percentage of the show.
                        And the main character get squeezed out. His importance and prominence chipped away with each new shiney subplot that the writers want to play with. To me, that isn't good writing in the slightest.

Let me give you an example of a show that handled it well, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Joss Whedon, someone who is generally well considered as a writer and showrunner, used to have a motto. With every script, every episode, he used to ask "where's the Buffy?" Because he recognized who the most important character was, and he knew that the key to keep the show cohesive and strong was to keep the show centered on her. I don't believe SV writers look at every script and ask "Where's the Clark?", nor do I believe that they are even remotely as interested in him as a character as they should be given the premise of the show. JMO

Luthorcorp was just the best example. And remember, in season 1, we saw very little of it.
                        I haven't gone back and rewatched S1 lately, but I can tell you that Luthorcorp was very, very heavily featured in S2 & S3, and the show still managed to remain very tightly centered on Clark, and never shortchanged his end of the story.

Comment

Sure, other things need to happen, but not to the detriment of Clark. Seems to me that by stalling Clark's story so badly, they've definitely hit boring territory, and now with the end very near, there's a definite rushed quality to a lot of it. IMO, good writers figure out how to write good stories for their main character, not lose interest in him because they are stretching the show out.

I can't think of one Lana story that took off on its own that improved this show. YMMV

And the main character get squeezed out. His importance and prominence chipped away with each new shiney subplot that the writers want to play with. To me, that isn't good writing in the slightest.

Let me give you an example of a show that handled it well, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Joss Whedon, someone who is generally well considered as a writer and showrunner, used to have a motto. With every script, every episode, he used to ask "where's the Buffy?" Because he recognized who the most important character was, and he knew that the key to keep the show cohesive and strong was to keep the show centered on her. I don't believe SV writers look at every script and ask "Where's the Clark?", nor do I believe that they are even remotely as interested in him as a character as they should be given the premise of the show. JMO

I haven't gone back and rewatched S1 lately, but I can tell you that Luthorcorp was very, very heavily featured in S2 & S3, and the show still managed to remain very tightly centered on Clark, and never shortchanged his end of the story.
                          I never said it was for better or worse. I simply said that it happens. And, yes, seasons 2 and 3 were big on Luthorcorp. But season 1 wasn't.

For the record, I've been a fan of every season, for the most part. I certainly wouldn't say it's ever become boring to me. And sure, Clark's part has diminished, from a certain point of view, but I'm a fan of ensembles, so, hey, I'm happy either way.

Comment

Originally posted by petitemimi
                            I took all the Clark time that you calculated from all seasons and I made an average per episode for Clark (maybe you already did it!) rounded down:

Average per episode
                            S2= 23 min
                            S3= 22 min
                            S4= 21 min
                            S5= 20 min
                            S6= 17 min
                            S7= 16 min
                            (Tom time: 18 min)
                            S8= 20 min
                            It's funny that with each season, we get less and less minutes of Clark, with S8 turning it around

Comment

Wow, this made my day seeing how much Lois is actually in each episode! (It's more than I thought, but a little more never hurt anyone !!)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎