No announcement yet.

The Arthur/Gwen Relationship Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Arthur/Gwen Relationship Thread

They haven't shared very many scenes together but they've managed to win me over with what little screentime they have shared. I'm hoping to see a lot more of them in the second season.

Guinevere

Resistance is futile.....

Comment

Originally posted by chlarkfan333
      Guinevere

LOL

If he keeps saying her name like that, then I'm likened to agree. It sure makes it difficult for me to resist. Especially when this is how he looks when he says it . . .

Ya know, I thought that with the way they changed Gwen's background so much that they didn't have the intention of going the Arwen route. They barely spoke, Arthur didn't even notice Gwen existed and she thought he was a rough and tumble brute . . . then Moment of Truth came along and they had that moment where she told him off, he was surprised but didn't yell at her, and of course he said her name the way he did . . . *sigh*

Arthur: Gwen

*Gwen still babbling apologies for speaking to him beyond her station*

Arthur: Guin-e-VERE!

You could see she actually did have some admiration for him and he seemed to have some kind of admiration for her telling him off. I didn't expect that, but it made burble happily. Looking back I think maybe her admiration started as early as 'The Poisoned Chalice' where she went to see if Arthur had gotten the plant from the caves. So she pretended to be in charge of bringing him his food in the dungeon, since his father jailed him for disobedience, and he caught on to what she was doing and put the plant on the plate. She looked over at him and smiled, so I think maybe that was the start of it. Admiring him for persevering to save Merlin's life and for catching on so quickly. I think his admiration (which right now I don't feel is as much as hers) started in Moment of Truth where she had said something him about not turning his nose up at food when it was scarce for the common folk, and with much conviction.

I think the fact that they've had so few moments, but some of us are fans already, says something for the chemistry and the acting. Didn't take much to win me over, but I certainly want more Arwen scenes next season.

Moment of Truth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9X7K...eature=related

To Kill the King:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzos...eature=related

Le Morte d'Arthur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zVOS...eature=related

So we can all listen to him say her name, over and over, or maybe that was just me.

And in the case of 'To Kill the King' to see Arthur actually *gasp* being sympathetic!

I haven't seen those cast diaries you were talking about in the other thread Dustmite but I've seen people talking about how Angel and Bradley have a great offscreen chemistry and are good friends.
      Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustmite
        They haven't shared very many scenes together but they've managed to win me over with what little screentime they have shared. I'm hoping to see a lot more of them in the second season.
        Same. I was won over after Moment of Truth. I really hope next season brings us more Arwen.
        Guinevere

Every time he says her name like that I melt.
        Originally posted by LovelyLoisLane
        I haven't seen those cast diaries you were talking about in the other thread Dustmite but I've seen people talking about how Angel and Bradley have a great offscreen chemistry and are good friends.
        OMG you need to watch them. NOW! They are awesome! Though at one point I was kinda of jealous that Angel got to sit in Bradley's lap.

Comment

Again, my favorite thing about those cast diaries is the way Bradley says her name "Angel" and gets really cheeky with her.

I'm curious to see how Season (or Series, I guess I should say) Two goes as far as 'ships go.

Comment

Originally posted by lillie_poo_pod
            Every time he says her name like that I melt.

OMG you need to watch them. NOW! They are awesome! Though at one point I was kinda of jealous that Angel got to sit in Bradley's lap.
            Me too, and I'm glad I'm not the only one because the first time I caught myself doing the little girly sigh I felt like an idiot, getting all bubbly over a name.

I finally got around to seeing one cast diary, the first one, where Brad kept saying her name "ANGEL" and then he said if their names were a fair representation of who they were he'd be called Angel and she'd be called . . . hussy. ROFL!

I see what you mean about her getting to sit in his lap . . . on a roller coaster. That . . . hussy. :P I love the part where they are going to get on another roller coaster and there is this person singing at the theme park and Brad says "We don't really understand French, but I'm pretty sure he is saying we're all going to die." LOL!

I can see where the lovely Arwen chemistry comes from now though, Brad and Angel have very nice chemistry getting along off the set.
            Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Guinevere

*sigh* I love that too.

Comment

You know, we all got hooked in MoT when he said her name, but the scene preceding that and the brief scene after that were also very good.

And they showed her bravery as well as Gwen's early admiration of Arthur, and now having been able to re-watch it, I think his early admiration of her perhaps, or at least surprise on his part that she has more guts than one might imagine a simple handmaiden to have. Like when the women rallied behind her, and she actually looked pretty regal in that one shot, head held high and everything.

I've got a few screencaps, not a picspam or anything, but a few.

------------

Arthur: Tomorrow morning, the women and children should gather what belongings they can carry and go to the woods.

Guinevere: We're not going anywhere!

Arthur: I know you want to help, but the women can't stay here. It's too dangerous.

Guinevere: The women have as much right to fight for their lives as the men do!

Arthur: But none of you know how to fight.

Guinevere: The more of us there are, the better chance we stand.

Arthur: *concedes and addresses the people* This is your home, if you want to fight to defend it, that's your choice. I'd be honored to stand alongside you.

Kanan attacks tomorrow. Kanan's brutal, he fights only to kill . . . which is why he will never defeat us. Look around, in this circle we're all equals. You're not fighting because someone is ordering you to, you're fighting for so much more than that. You fight for your homes. You fight for your family. You fight for your friends. You fight for the right to grow crops in peace, and if you fall, you fall fighting for the noblest of causes. You're fighting for your very right to survive, and when you're old and gray, you'll look back on this day and you'll know you earned the right to live every day in between. So you fight! For your family, for your friends, for Ealdor!

Crowd: *raise weapons with Arthur* For Ealdor! Ealdor! Ealdor!

Guinevere: *looks on with pride*

--------------------

And of course everyone's favorite scene.

Guinevere: Arthur. Hunith made you some food.

Arthur:
                Thanks . . . I think.

Guinevere:
                Food is scarce for these people, you shouldn't turn your nose up at it!

Arthur:
                *looks at her in surprise*

Guinevere: *realises who she is speaking to* Oh, no . . . I - I shouldn't have spoken to you like that. I'm sorry. *begins to walk away*

Arthur: Gwen . . .

Guinevere: *still walking away* I'm sorry! I don't know what I was thinking, it won't happen again.

Arthur: Guin-e-vere!

Guinevere: *stops walking and turns around, looking sheepish*

Arthur: Thank you. You're right . . . and you were right to speak up. I should have listened to you and Morgana. We're going to need all the help we can get.

Guinevere: We'll be fine.

Arthur: How can you be so sure?

Guinevere: Because I have faith in you.

Arthur: *looks surprised again*

Guinevere: I mean . . . we all do.

Arthur:
                Thank you.

Guinevere: *smiles and walks off*

Arthur: *watches her leave*

------------

Even this brief scene was nice.

Arthur: *embraces Guinevere's hand as he did the men in line* Are you frightened?

Guinevere: Not in the slightest.

Arthur: *nods at her*

Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 02-08-2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalista
                  *sigh* I love that too.

You might be surprised at just how many of us love that, I certainly was, to find so many other people that were turned into a puddle at just Arthur saying Guinevere's name.

Aren't we a silly lot?

Comment

Thank you for the picspam Val

I adore them and you're right that brief scene where he shook her hand was lovely because he treated as he did the men, as an equal and I love that she was so brave there despite not being trained to fight as Morgana was.

And you saw the cast Diaries...yay. The cast are seriously adorable.

Again, my favorite thing about those cast diaries is the way Bradley says her name "Angel" and gets really cheeky with her.
                    Mine too He's so silly.

Comment

The cast diaries are a hoot. It seems to be a Bradley thing - the name bit.

Back to Arwen, I have to admit, I am not yet a shipper yet. True, of the available, possible pairings on the show at the moment, Arwen is most appealing to me, but that might change depending on how it is developed, if at all. I do like how they've underplayed it thus far. I hope they jack it up just a wee bit next season, but still relatively underplay it.

Comment

I hope they jack it up just a wee bit next season, but still relatively underplay it.

I agree with that. I don't want it overplayed, but then I don't want it TOO underplayed. Definitely more interaction than in the first season/series and more moments of them admiring each other, because that is where it all starts isn't it?

I wouldn't mind Lancelot coming back to flirt with Gwen though. :P I'm horrible, I know.
                        Then you could have a teensy bit of a triangle, enough to be entertaining, but without being overly dramatic. I hate really angsty stuff, I do. A little angst sure, but any more than that . . . let us just say that I have seen enough shows where they spend too much time on the romance angle, add in too much unnecessary drama and the story suffers.

I don't want that to happen here.

So it should go, very, very slow.

I really like the moments like we got in LMA and MOT where he says her name like he does and she gets all embarrassed about something complimentary that she says. It is SOOO cute!

I'm writing a little Arwen/Lance triangle story one-shot at the moment, to get the idea on screen. I'll see what I think of it when I'm done writing. Ha! Me writing anything resembling romance (other than Lolliepop of course). . . must be the end of the world or somethin' :P
                        Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 02-08-2009, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I reckon it can only happen after Uther's time. We see how he dictates Arthurs' life and looks down on servants.

And even though deep down Arthur respects Merlin and considers him a friend, he still needs to keep up appearances and treats him like a servant. So even if he eventually felt something for Gwen, he could never let it show.
                          Last edited by harryandginnyfanatic; 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

And hence really good story-telling where sweet Gwen *and she really is a sweetie pie on THIS show* and Arthur are actually in love instead of the arranged marriage we got before, where she loved Arthur but she was in love with Lancelot and that caused a hell of a mess.

I'm pretty sure he won't marry her on the series so I don't think it'd get to that point, but I do think and hope to see some slow build up of feelings between the two. He's too immature for a lot of things. He can barely even admit to being friends with Merlin and still has a hard time standing up to his father, but he does have his moments so you can see how he wants to do things differently. Which between himself and Merlin is the purpose of the show, giving us a different take and how they developed into legends from youth.

He did stand up to Uther in order to save Merlin's life and he always seems to be feel very strongly about people who are loyal to him, who lay down their life for him, like Merlin and Lancelot.

But I do see a difference to the way he acts around Gwen, he doesn't pick at her like he does Merlin, though I suspect that is because she is a woman, at least in part and also because he doesn't know her that well yet, because he makes no bones about picking on Morgana though it is clear he finds her ladyship attractive. However, and maybe it is just me, but his demeanor around Gwen seems more gentle, even his voice. I liked MOT a lot because it was first time I think he really *saw* Gwen, before she was just sort of there, though there was that she helped him sneak the flower out of dungeon cell to help save Merlin. But I like LMD even more because he finally loosened up at bit and got a little playful with her at the end, even seeming highly amused at her refusal to admit what she said and the way he said her name at the end of that scene . . . *sigh* Sorry, I had to take a moment and go listen to that again. I'm hopeless. :P

Being a writer is very liberating, but it also causes me to have a tendency to ramble, so feel free to reign me in when I start going wild.

So where was I going with this? Oh yes, I can see Arthur standing up for his friend if he and Guinevere become friends in the next season, because he has done that before with two people he admired and I can tell that he already has begun to admire Gwen. I also think she went form thinking 'Who'd want to marry Arthur?' To having a bit of a crush on him, but like a reviewer said before me, who wouldn't? :P So I think that the prince could very well spend time with Gwen and not catch too much flak for it, but that he would defend her to his father if he had to.

I just don't want or see it becoming anything too serious just yet. They are too darn young! Though considering the time period they are in, I guess not really; people got married when they were very young back then However, as I said before, I'm alright with Lancelot coming back and romancing Gwen in the mean time. He was just lovely.

Welcome by the way! Always thrilled to get more 'Merlin' fans in here!

I do think this is going to be a very slow moving ship at sea, and that is fine with me, because then I don't have to worry about a fantasy/drama being ruined by too much romance. This show seems to work very little with that though, it really is a side dressing. In fact I wouldn't say that there was ANY overt romance in their first outing for the show. More just tiny bits here and there. Uther talked about Igraine being his 'heart' so that was a bit I suppose but it was just a mention, and then of course there is Lancelot's crush on Gwen, but that was pretty brief too considering he only had the one episode, though the writers definitely made you aware he was attracted to her and she was charmed by his noble attitude.

So I actually don't know how 'Merlin' would handle a little mini-romance arc. That last scene with Gwen/Arthur was FANTASTIC but it was just a tease and more playful than anything. I would like in the next season to see them really start to be friends, and maybe even have Gwen give him little pep talks now and again, she seems good at that. She also seems to care a great deal about what is right, fair and just. So that could be something to play into the relationship. I feel like they are sort of building her to be the kind of queen that wouldn't just be there to smile and nod and kiss her husband, but to be a real partner, sharing advice with her king.
                            Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

More 'Merlin' Arthur and Guinevere screencaps! Yay!

I had quite a few of my own screen caps but there were some shots I just couldn't get, so I used some images from Emma-Jane at disparue.org

To Kill The King
                              Gwen's father has been killed while trying to escape imprisonment, after being jailed on suspicion of conspiring with a sorcerer. Merlin is letting Gwen sleep in his room and the two friends are talking when Prince Arthur stops by to assure Gwen that her job and home are safe . . . and to say he is sorry for her loss.

Gwen: Sire . . .

Arthur: Guinevere, I . . . want you to know that your job is safe . . . and that your home is yours for life. I guarantee you that. I know that *widens eyes* under the circumstances, it's not much but, umm . . . Anything you want, anything you need *looks at Merlin* All you have to do is ask.

*Arthur turns to leave, obviously feeling uncomfortable but he stops and turns back to Gwen*

Arthur: I'm sorry.

Gwen: *surprised but grateful* Thank you, Sire.

-----------------------------------------

Le Morte d'Arthur
                              Prince Arthur has been wounded by a questing beast as is thought by many to be on his deathbed. Gaius has been watching over him, but he's been at it some long hours and Gwen comes to relieve him and takes over. She speaks to the unconscious Arthur about why he must pull through and sweetly takes his hand in her own.

Gwen: Gaius, you should get some rest.

Gaius: He must not be left alone.

Gwen: I won't let him.

*Gaius pats Gwen on the shoulder as he leaves*

*Gwen takes the towel on Arthur's feverish forehead and re-wets it, bending to tend to him and finally taking a seat at the edge of the bed as she begins speaking to the unconscious prince*

Gwen: You're not going to die Arthur. I'm telling you. Because I know that one day you will be king. A greater king than your father could ever be. It's what keeps me going.

You are going to live to be the man I've seen inside you, Arthur. I can see a Camelot that is fair and just. I can see a king that the people will love and be proud to call their sovereign.

For the love of Camelot, you have to live.

Le Morte d'Arthur - 2'nd Scene
                              Arthur has recovered and when Gwen comes in to take the dirty linens to the wash she sees that and is relieved. The prince seems to remember bits and pieces of her talking to him, and recalls that she stroked his forehead and never lost faith. Gwen is embarrassed and lies, badly, that she was simply tending to his fever and said nothing of the sort. Arthur knows she's full of malarkey and tries to tease it out of her but it doesn't work and she runs off with the linens she'd come to get, leaving the prince to sigh after her.

Gwen: I knew it. I said you'd be alright.

*Gwen smiles and turns around to gather the cloths from the table*

*Arthur watches her and seems perplexed, gesturing at her as he speaks*

Arthur: I can remember you talking to me.

Gwen: *nervous* You can?

Arthur: You stroked my forehead.

Gwen: I was tending to your fever.

Arthur: You never lost faith.

Gwen: I was just talking.

Arthur: Tell me again what you said.

Gwen: *speaks while still facing away from him* I don't remember.

Arthur: *grins playfully, beginning to catch on* Yes, you do.

Gwen: *tries and fails at smiling, still nervous* No, I don't.

Arthur: Come on! Something about . . . the man I am inside. *grinning*

Gwen: *sighs and steels herself to turn and face Arthur* No, I never said that.

Arthur: *enunciates the syllables of her name* Guin-e-vere . . .

Gwen:
                              *ducks her head and motions at the linens in her hands* I have to get these washed, Sire. *gets out of the room quickly*

Arthur: Huh. *amused by her lack of answer, and relaxes with a sigh*

That scene is just . . . *sigh* now if only the second season would hurry up and get here!

And I think Guinevere looks so absolutely dazzling and regal in *this* cap

There was an interview with Angel Coulby, though brief, where she mentioned that she puts these little 'noble' nods into the character, like the way she holds her head, carries herself and such. I can see that.

And though not Arwen, this cap of Gwen looking at a red and purple gown her father bought her is just sooo cute I have to include it.

""Is this a gown? I almost don't know what to do with this.""
                              Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 03-06-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎