Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Requiem"?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigT
    Reasons why this episode not only sucks but was the "Jump-the-Shark" episode as well.

1. Clark is completely irrelevent. You have kryptonite suited Super-Lana with no weaknesses whatsoever. It doesn't matter if Clark becomes Superman. Lana is more powerful than him. Clark's failure is now complete.

2. The immature ending to the Clark & Lana romance. I've always hated the Clark & Lana saga on this show but the way they ended this was downright pathetic. To me this was just Romeo & Juliet bull**** minus them dying. Instead of them having a decent ending and showing how it can never workout between them, you get this bull**** "tragic" ending which wasn't closure. If anything it left more baggage.

3. Oliver murders Lex. One word: Why? Oliver killing Lex or holding a person grudge against him never made ANY sense to begin with. It was teased that Lionel Luthor had something to do with that plane crash that killed Oliver's parents. But with Lionel dead he takes his vegeance out on Lex? What? Again it just doesn't add up. Lex had nothing to do with Oliver's parents death so what reason was there for Oliver to have a personal vendetta against Lex? Plus this also ruins Oliver because he becomes a murderer. His crediblity for being a hero is ruined now. What fustrates me even more was that the Justice League later sided with him and turned against Clark in that horrible season finale. He was justified in killing Lex?

4. Clark's hypocrasy is complete. Clark Kent on this show has always been at times a real douchebag and some of the things he's said has a double standard to it but now he has to be told by Lana NOT to kill Lex because he split them up for good? It's one of the most retarded things I've ever seen on TV. Like that's even a good reason to kill Lex because he separated Clark from his bed buddy for life.

5. Clark has a Legion ring. Why doesn't he fix this? He uses the Legion ring in the next episode to prevent Linda Lake from writing that story about him so you would think he'd also prevent Lana from ever putting on the super suit and save their relationship but he doesn't do that. Instead he just allows this bull**** to happen. It might have been a wise thing to go back in time the second-time around. Just saying.

6. Lois looks like a consolation prize. I know many of you won't agree with this but let's be serious for a minute. In this monstrosity of a show, the reason why Clark moves on to Lois is because he can't be with Lana. I know that makes a lot of Clark & Lana fans happy which I think is just petty because that's really nothing to be happy about. The immature way Clark & Lana's relationship ends also hurts the relationship between Lois & Clark and it just makes Lois look like she's second choice which is complete bull****! Lois shouldn't have to be second choice for Clark. Just shows you the kind of logic they use on this show. Canon or not.

7. Jonathan Kent truly died for nothing in Reckoning! Congratulations, Clark. You sacrificed your own father for the woman that you ultimately DON'T end up with. Yeah, Clark. It was totally worth Jonathan's life. Idiot!

I love this post!

Comment

• Probably the most infamous episode in the show's history. The previous episode had Lana gain powers similar to Clark's. Now they have to break up, because she become walking Kryptonite. So, the relationship doesn't end, because they've outgrown each other. Many have also critized this episode, for turning Lois into Clark's second choice.

Thankfully, the season 11 comic undid the development of these two episodes. With Lana loosing both powers and Kryptonite radiation. And Clark stayed with Lois.

I suppose one could regard this episode (and the one before it) as the last(?) victim of the writers strike. I've already talked about in the "Veritas" thread. If the strike hadn't ended so early, you would have had the last five episodes of season 7. Thus, when season 8 started, Lex would've simply have left on a quest for the traveler and ways to control and/or destroy him and Lana would've likely passed away, off-screen.

Of course, you can't overlook AlMiles inability to part with Lana, as another cause for the episode. The show had numerous times given Lana a possible, organic exit.

* In season 2, Nell (her legal guardian) left town. Lana could've gone with her, yet she stayed.

* In season 3, she moved away to Paris. Sadly, AlMiles had to get her back for season 4.

* In season 4, she graduated HS. She could've moved away and gone to college in another town, than the other characters.

* In season 6, she was seemingly killed off, when her car exploded. Yet, AlMiles brought her back the next season.

If AlMiles had gone with any of these options, we wouldn't have had "Requiem".

On a more positive note, I like that Clark doesn't use the Legion ring to undo everything. I know many have a problem with Clark not doing it here, when he does it in the next episode. However, there he did it, to undo him having to out himself to the world (something that was proving to have serious consequences, for both him and the people around him) and then he destroyed the ring, so he'd never be able to do it again. Here, he'd just be doing it for selfish reasons: so that he can be with Lana. Remember, he time traveled in S5, to prevent her death and his adoptive father died as a result. He's learned his lesson. And doesn't do it again, until he's pushed into a corner and makes sure that he can't do it again. He learned the first time, not to mess around with time. That is something Barry (who has already time traveled more times in barely three seasons, than Clark did in ten) on The Flash will probably never learn.

Comment

• Tried to find an episode to rewatch and for some reason ended up with this one. TBH, I think it improved this time around (though, it didn't become a timeless classic, it still has its problems). Watching the "goodbye" scene I noticed a little detail in Kreuk's performance, when Clark asked Lana if Dr. Groll had found a way to undo it. It's a moment where she hesitates, almost like she's unsure what to tell him. This would then create the possibility that there was a way to undo it, but Lana chose not to go through with it. Either because she didn't want to risk losing her new powers (like we saw happen in "Valkyrie") or because she saw her current state as a way to finally end it with Clark. Using it as an excuse to break-up for good. In "Bride", she even suggested that maybe she and Clark aren't meant to be together, but then they ended up together again. The radiation just ensures that it's over for good this time. And Clark clearly agrees, even if he doesn't openly admit it. He doesn't even suggest going to the Fortress to fix it or using the Legion Ring. As painful as it is to both of them to say goodbye, they're both accepting it to an extent.

Of course, the actual goodbye was played a little too much for drama. They clearly tried to make it an emotional scene, but I just wanted them to move on. Ultimately, it's really a scene for Clana fans only, while the rest of the audience are just waiting for her to finally leave.

Pretty good introduction of Toyman. He's a character who've traditionally been quite goofy. I think they made him work for this continuity. We're past Sherman Hemsley making toy rats, that make kids greedy and adults behave like children. Instead, he's a scientific genius, who likes to put explosives inside toys and is also able to create androids and mind controll devices (as seen in his other two appearances).

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎