Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oliver Queen and Dinah Lance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more I think about it, I kind of like that they never became an item in this continuity (as far as we know).

On Arrow, they started out by stripping Dinah Laurel Lance down to just a love interest, rather than having her be a superhero herself. Now, I didn't watch much of the show, but as I understand it, her journey into becoming a superhero wasn't handled well. Then they killed her off, while having her prop up another romantic interest for Oliver Queen.

On Smallville, Dinah Lance is introduced as a costumed superhero. She's allowed to be in that role on the show (and stand alongside the other superheroes), rather than being involved in relationship drama. She's there to be a superhero, not someone's girlfriend. Sure, she could very well have a boyfriend out there, somewhere. But, if she does, he doesn't define her, like being with main character Oliver Queen would define Dinah. If Dinah's boyfriend had appeared on the show (or in the season 11 comic), being her boyfriend would've been what would've defined him as a character.

Looking at Smallville's and Arrow's depictions of the Black Canary character. If it stands between her being a superhero and a love interest for Oliver Queen, I'd go with the former.

Heck, both shows had Oliver Queen end up (and have a child) with a blonde, IT-girl. With both Chloe and Felicity (I think), a visitor from the future revealed that Chloe/Felicity will not be remembered. Felicity's daughter carries on the legacy of Oliver, assuming his identity. We don't know about Chloe's son. However, the scene does end with him smiling at a bow and some arrows. So, if he follows in a parent's footsteps, it's probably not his mother's.

In both cases, the woman that Oliver Queen ends up with, romantically, is doomed to be forgotten. Their children (possibly, in the case of Chloe's son) carrying on his legacy, not hers. Now, we don't know if Smallville's Dinah Lance/Black Canary will be remembered. But, unlike Felicity and Chloe, there never was a visitor from the future saying that she will be forgotten. For all we know, she'll be remembered for a long time. And, if Dinah ever has a child, that child will be defined as Dinah's child, not someone else's. A child who, if she/he wants, can carry on Dinah's legacy.

So, not ending up with Oliver Queen, was probably the best for Smallville's Black Canary.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 02-09-2021, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎