Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Cannot Breathe Without You

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

His children could not convince him to leave Chloe alone in the resting place at the Fortress. He stayed there in a dark corner, away from any sunshine until two years later his powers completely gone, his age apparent in every line in his face, the loneliness of his heart and soul crying from his eyes, as one day with his family beside him, he closed them for the last time.
    This is the best part of the story for me, simply because it's the most poignant and beautiful. Sure, it's sad and heartbreaking to see Clark purposefully wither away as he huddled near Chloe's final resting place, but it shows the depth of his love for her that he couldn't leave her, even after death, that he couldn't go on without her. Also, the image of Clark closing his eyes for the final time surrounded by his children and grandchildren was actually quite lovely.

Yeah, I'm probably pretty weird for finding beauty in such sadness/tragedy, but I wouldn't be able to write all my angsty stories if I couldn't see the beauty in them.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Lex ended up taking his own life. He acts all tough and confident, but underneath that exterior, he's just a coward, like all villains. I'm also not surprised that he wanted the secret to Chloe's power/immortality and that he'd do anything to get it, including cloning her so he'd be able to study her until he learned the secret. Of course, cloning and studying her had to take time, so I'm wondering why Clark wasn't able to find her before it was too late. While I'm thinking of things, were there any clones of Chloe that survived? If so, Clark could've carried on with her, because, if she was like the other clones on SV, she'd have had Chloe's memories and emotions. I know it's not the same as having the real Chloe, but I think Clark might have been willing to overlook that detail in order to have Chloe at his side again.

I did have one issue with the story, and it's a minor one. Some of the dialogue seemed too stiff and formal, almost like it was meant for a comic book where the hero is portrayed as extremely noble, even in the way he speaks. Personally, I think it would've been better to use regular speech patterns, because as much as Clark and his progeny are heroes, they're also just people, human, and making them sound like us normal Janes and Joes would've reinforced how frail and flawed they can be/are. But that's just my opinion.

This is a nice little story, sad as it may be, and I'm so glad you shared it with us, Mari. Well done!

Comment

excellent Mari.

Comment

happy birthday Mari

Comment

Originally posted by Djf
          happy birthday Mari
          Thank you, Danny.

Comment

What a wonderful story. It's always sad to see Clark & Chloe depart this world, but their legacy and their line lives on, and the world knows and appreciates all the sacrifices they made for it.

Thanks so much for sharing, Mari!

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎