Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing

Hi Everyone,

Laura Lake / Gold Wing begins a new story arc this week, with "The Mystery of Burntwood Manor"

Eighteen year old Laura looks into buying an abandoned mansion.

Clark / Laura Crossover
    PG 13

How'd you like to read about a new character that I created for the Smallville Universe? My fan fic is called "Gold Wing" and introduces an original super hero.

What if Clark had another love interest outside of Lana / Lois / Chloe? How about a teenager with super abilities that nearly match Clark's, yet she's human?

Let me know what you think of her: Please welcome Laura Lake. See Laura's origin story in the General
    Section, under "Last Daughter of Krypton", Death in the Heartland.

Thanks
    Gardy1

Teaser:

Laura Lake: Gold Wing

Guest starring Clark Kent, Chloe Sullivan, Lois Lane, and Jimmy Olsen.

Central Nebraska, 2007. – “You know Clark, I’ve just about had enough of these caves.” Chloe grumbled, as she circled through the same cavern for the third time. “C’mon Chloe, where’s your sense of adventure? We need to check out these symbols to see if any match the Kryptonian scribbling back at the Kawatchi Caves.”

“You did not just say that, Clark.” Chloe stopped in her tracks. “Haven’t we had enough adventures for a lifetime?” The future Superman grinned widely. “You’re not going soft, are you Chlo’?” He teased. “No! I thought we’d seen all the cave drawings that exist.”

“So did I.” Clark admitted. “I haven’t yet located any Kryptonian symbols. These are all something totally different. My hope was that they held a clue to where Kara and Brainiac had gone.

”Chloe kept snapping pictures of the symbols with her cell phone camera. “I have no idea what culture these pictographs belong to. We’ll have to send some files to an expert, if I can find a trustworthy one.”

Clark continued to examine the drawings closely, but hadn’t gotten any nearer to a solution. “Maybe I should check the outer area surrounding the cave.”“Did you check the walls with your x-ray vision in case there was a hidden antechamber like back at the Kawatchi Mound?” Chloe asked.

“Yes. There wasn’t anything.” He replied. “Have you decided on who you’re taking to the Daily Planet Charity Ball?” Chloe quickly changed the subject.“I don’t have time for that.” Clark answered sourly.

“Really? Or is it just that you and Lana have called it quits again?” Chloe always found a way to get under Clark’s skin. “Thanks for stating the obvious, Chloe.” Clark said bitterly. “Clark, you need to move on, Lana will.” She added.

“I’m depressed enough without having to smile pretty at some Charity Benefit.” He said with disdain. “You’re missing the point, Clark. The dance benefits the Metropolis Underprivileged Children’s Fund. You can sacrifice an evening of mooning over Lana for a good cause.

”Chloe followed Clark out of the cave. “Are you going?” He asked with disinterest. “Yes. Jimmy’s taking me. C’mon Clark, we can dress up nice and help kids at the same time.” Clark was about to give in, when he was suddenly hit by a major force that knocked him clear across the edge of the meadow.

The impact shock shook Chloe to her core as she fell to her knees, and tumbled into a ravine a few feet below her. Thankfully, she remained uninjured. “What the hell was that, an earthquake?” She complained loudly.

“What the…?” Clark asked as he quickly returned to his feet. Turning around, he spied a young girl with long black hair sprawled alongside the edge of the ravine. “Ow! My head!” She exclaimed as she sat up.

Chloe was flat on her backside at the base of the ravine. “Clark, are you okay?” She called back up. “What am I saying, of course you’re okay.” Unless there’s kryptonite around, she silently scrambled back up the ditch to the level ground near the bottom of the cave entrance.

Clark gingerly headed toward the fallen girl. Wait a minute! I actually felt that impact! He observed, rubbing his own forearm. “I’m sorry dude!” The girl climbed to her knees. “I wasn’t watching where I was going. Are you alright?” Clark nodded as Chloe joined them.

Clark and Chloe quickly exchanged glances. The same thoughts crossed their minds. Did we just find a new meteor freak?

Chapter 1: See Laura's origin story : Death in the Heartland. Here's the link:

Forum for posting fan fiction that is primarily plot-driven and doesn't concentrate on any one particular romantic pairing or friendship. Also called "Episodal fic" because it's more like an episode. It can include mentions of different friendships o

Revealed

“I’m kind of new to this high speed running thing.” She spoke before she thought. “High speed running thing?” Chloe echoed. The young girl reddened. “Oops! Apparently I also have a problem keeping my mouth shut.” She glanced away.

“Hi. Laura, Laura Lake.” She carefully shook Clark’s hand. “Clark Kent.” He responded. “And you must be his girlfriend?” Laura fished playfully. “Uh, no. We’re just good friends.” Unfortunately, Chloe added mentally. “Chloe Sullivan.” She took Laura’s slim fingered hand as well.

Clark thought he felt a surge of electricity as he and Laura made contact. “Are you sure that you’re all right Clark?” Chloe asked, noting that he seemed to be favoring his right arm. The young superhero was stunned to see a bright brown soft ball sized bruise on his forearm where Laura had collided with him. Chloe’s eyes widened. An injured Clark Kent was never a good sign, she mused.

Laura fidgeted, unsure of what to do or say next. “I didn’t expect anyone to be out here.” She opted to question them. “Why are you two out in the middle of nowhere like this anyway, or shouldn’t I ask?” She made it a point to check out Clark from head to toe. Nice! She thought lustily.Her eyes appeared to flare yellow for a moment.

“We were …uh…” Clark began. “Exploring the caves behind us.” Chloe finished for him. “Oh.” Laura was suddenly worried. Had they discovered her secret? “Is anyone out here with you?” Clark grilled as he used his x-ray vision to verify whatever Laura said. “No, I was just out running by myself.”

She glanced at Chloe who had come up behind him. Clark took a second to check out Laura. She looked to be a bit younger than his cousin Kara. The teen beauty had long straight shoulder length raven black hair, which also had two or three long strands of bright canary yellow streaks just before each ear.

The highlights framed her thin face.Laura had big sky blue eyes, a smallish nose, and highly placed cheekbones that gave one the impression that she was of Eastern European descent. Her lips were thin and she’d put on a far too bright shade of red lipstick. Clark noted that she’d also overdone her black eye make up. It reminded him of a classic Goth style and had the effect of creating a mask across her eyes.

Laura was favoring her neck, rubbing it, perhaps due to the collision. She stretched leisurely and twisted her waist back and forth. Chloe noted the girl’s uncomfortable silence. Young Laura was definitely hiding something, based on Chloe’s assessments of her body language.

“Laura, do you live around here?” Chloe decided to make small talk. The teen bent over, then arched her back. “Yeah, not too far away.” She replied evasively. “Now you two, on the other hand, are not from around here, are you?” Laura skillfully deflected the questioning.

“Are we that obvious?” Clark attempted to be charming, but his heart just wasn’t in it. “Well, I’m from Falcon Claw, a little farming town across the lake from here. Everyone knows everybody else, and you two would’ve stuck out like sore thumbs.”

Laura grinned broadly, displaying a full set of lily white teeth. She’d put Chloe at ease for the moment, yet the jury was still out.“That sounds like Smallville.” Clark commented craftily. “Where?” Laura was truly puzzled.

Good job, Clark! Chloe silently praised. That can possibly eliminate Laura from the meteor freak persuasion. “It’s a small town in Kansas.” He informed her. Laura nodded as she brushed the dust off of her bright yellow tee shirt.

“Kansas? That’s a long way from here for a joyride.” Laura said skeptically. She’d since noticed Chloe’s small car partially hidden behind some foliage. “Like I said, we were exploring the caves.” Chloe defended. Laura approached them cautiously.

Clark, for an instant, thought that she resembled a lioness stalking her prey. Maybe I’m just being overly paranoid, Clark rationalized, what with Brainiac and Lex Luthor still on the loose. “Find anything interesting?” Laura feigned innocence.

“No, not really.” Chloe lied. “Yeah, I don’t understand the cave drawings myself.” Laura had called Chloe’s bluff. The hairs stood up on the back of Chloe’s neck as Laura circled ever closer. Clark eyed her suspiciously, calculating a possible next move.

“Any idea what this yellow stuff is in the water?” Clark asked as Laura froze in her tracks. He simultaneously reached down into the creek streaming just below his feet and the yellow minerals washed over his hand and in between his fingers. It left an oily residue on his alien skin.

Laura momentarily looked horrified before she caught herself and returned to a disinterested poker face. “Nope.” Laura lied. “It’s probably just sulfur or some wonderful Nebraska clay.” She deadpanned.

“I wouldn’t drink it if I were you. It could be poisonous.”To her dismay, Laura was becoming more adept at lying every day. Her gut told her that it was wrong to lie to Clark and Chloe, despite the fact that she’d just met them.

An omission was nearly the same as a falsification, her best friend Tim had said the other day. Clark wiped the mineral deposits on his jeans. He suddenly felt odd. Oh no! Clark thought.

Before he could react, he sneezed, blowing down an old dried up ash tree roughly ten feet tall. Chloe put her head in her hands. “Bless you!” She mumbled as Laura continued to stare at Clark.

There was no covering up that event, He mused with disdain. Clark flashed his best innocent grin at her. “It must’ve been rotted.” Laura defended, much to their surprise. “So you two were exploring the caves in the middle of nowhere because…?” Laura pressed.

Chloe thought that Laura was far too smart for her own good. “It’s for a…” Clark was about to say ‘a school project’ like he’d done a number of times before. Chloe came to the rescue.

“An article that I’m working on for the paper.” She smiled brightly. “I’m a journalist for the Metropolis Daily Planet.” Laura’s eyes widened. “Now, that I’ve heard of.” She relaxed a bit. “A reporter, eh? That’s way cool!”

Clark had decided that he was willing to trust Laura for the moment.“Nothing interesting ever happens here in this backwater town.” Laura continued. “Why would a major metropolitan newspaper be even remotely intrigued by these caves?”

Clark answered: “We have similar caves and writings near Smallville.” He offered. Chloe’s eyebrows rose. Too much information, Clark, she silently criticized. Laura purposely slipped in between Clark and Chloe, moving faster than an ordinary human.

By Clark’s estimation, Laura was shorter than he, but taller than Chloe or Lana, roughly the same size as Lois Lane. She appeared to be bustier and a bit stockier than the Planet’s newest reporter as well.

Laura turned her back on the caves in an attempt to distract the visitors from her secret mineral stash. “I know this area pretty well.” She began, gesturing towards the greenish brown valley before them. “That body of water is called Crater Lake.”

“Word is that a small asteroid or piece of a comet hit here just after the last ice age, forming the crater. It likely pushed up these mounds of land and the runoff of the melting ice created this small stream, which we call Comet Creek, appropriately enough.”

“It appears to be running from a source up in the foothills, into the caves, and through these ravines into the lake.” Laura hesitantly took Clark’s elbow and ushered him away from the cave entrance. Chloe trailed behind, filled with suspicions. This was too much of a coincidence.

“You can see clear across the valley from here.” Laura added. She shaded her eyes with one thin hand. “Yes, it’s beautiful.” Clark placated the teen, fully aware that she was probably trying to railroad him. How did I become so jaded? He wondered silently, though he would not be swayed.

“You come out here because…?” He probed. Laura hadn’t expected him to keep digging. Suddenly she didn’t mind being grilled by the tall handsome stranger. Chloe cleared her throat loudly, distracting them. Clark and Laura’s eyes met briefly.

“I’m kind of a lone wolf.” Laura confessed. “I enjoy the wide open spaces, and Nebraska has plenty of them.” Clark accepted her at her word, though he couldn’t help reviving the painful memory of the Kiwatchi girl, Caia, who actually was a wolf.

Laura reminded him a lot of her. Chloe wanted to move Clark along, yet she was also extremely curious about Laura. That impact with Clark should have decimated the teenager. It didn’t seem to faze her a bit.

Once a paranoid journalist, always a paranoid journalist, she rationalized. Suddenly Laura’s cell phone rang, playing a recent Lifehouse tune. Clark winced as the ringtone resembled his Senior Prom’s theme song.

“Yeah Tim?” Laura answered. Clark slunk away to rejoin Chloe. “What do you think, Chlo’?” He questioned. “Something’s just not right, Clark.” The pretty blonde cub reporter replied. “She magically appears and happens to run into you, and there’s not a scratch on her, I might add."

"There’s also something that she’s hiding about the caves. What if she’s not a meteor freak?” Clark nodded. “She could be like Bart Allen, Mr. Impulse, acquiring that blinding speed by accident.” Chloe frowned.

“Or she could be one of Lex’s freak creations sent here to spy on you, to say nothing of being an agent of evil for Brainiac." Clark couldn’t truly rule out any of those possibilities. “I hate to do this…” He x-rayed Laura from head to toe with his unique vision.

“She’s not an android. I saw all required body parts.” Clark stated morbidly. “I will say that her muscles seemed to be packed rather densely.” Chloe scratched her head. “She’s kind of scrawny to be a super freak.” Clark sighed.

“I’ll try one more thing.” He turned his head away from them, pretending to admire the valley. He focused his superior hearing on Laura’s phone conversation. He hated to eavesdrop. Still, there could be safety concerns, Clark justified his intrusion.

“Hello, my mutant malcontent.” A cheerful young male voice said from the other end of the conversation.“I have news. I just couldn’t wait until your return.” Tim began. “Yeah because it would take me all of thirty seconds, if that, to trot back to Falcon Claw.” Laura said cockily.

She seated herself on the fallen tree trunk that Clark’s inappropriately timed sneeze had knocked down. Tim Servo was Laura’s best friend and confidante. The boy genius was the only person she’d told about her unusual abilities.

He immediately accepted her, which was very important to the basically friendless super teen. “The lab tests are back." He stopped for a dramatic pause. “They confirmed my original hypothesis that the mineral that you so humbly named Loracite.
    (pronounced Laura – Site) is in fact a new element."

"It does not appear on any periodic table.” Clark was listening with fascination. As Chloe patiently waited nearby, she aimlessly flipped the yellow rocks into the creek. “Really?” Laura risked a glance at Clark whom she thought was ignoring her.

“There’s more, my sweet.” Tim shamelessly flirted. “Are you sitting down?” “Yes Tim-ster.” Laura sighed. “Unfortunately, the Loracite has been reorganizing your DNA.” Tim informed her, waiting for the shock to wear off. It didn’t. Laura’s big blue eyes widened as she quickly lowered her voice.

“You mean that I’m a permanent mutant? A freak?” “I’m afraid so, sweetie. However, freak is such a harsh word.” Tim responded. “Great!” Laura kicked a small rock across the creek and it sailed for hundreds of yards, finally shattering to dust after it impacted a rocky outcropping near the end of the visible valley.

“At least we were prepared.” Tim reasoned, trying to lessen the overall blow. Laura suddenly remembered that she wasn’t alone. “Uh Tim, can we talk later? I’ve met some people out here.” Tim paled. “Some people?” He echoed as Laura shifted the phone to her other ear.

“Two of them actually, they were prowling around the caves.” She replied. “Crap!” Tim exclaimed. “Get rid of them!” Laura grimaced. “Chill, Tim!” Her friend was growing more anxious by the moment. “Can’t you just kill them?”

Laura laughed. “Funny, Tim! Who do I look like, Doctor Doom?” Tim brushed back his tousled brown hair. “They could be Feds, Area 51 even, or members of a foreign terrorist dictatorship, perhaps the shadow government or worse yet, the Environmental Protection Agency. Do they know about the Loracite?”

Laura grinned thinly. “Before you send the black helicopters out after me, let me finish.” She took a long appraising look at Clark’s physique. “I don’t think they know anything. They were just out exploring.” Tim scoffed.

“Likely story and my Uncle Steve dresses up like a prom queen and hits the town every Saturday night!” Laura glanced at the phone. “Ignoring that disturbing imagery, Tim, I’ll see you later.” Laura snickered. That boy is wrong on so many levels, she thought.

“Be careful, and don’t give them any reason to suspect you.” He advised. Too late for that, Laura mused. “Fine, I’ll move them along. Bye Tim.” She clicked off the miniature flip phone.

Laura returned her full attention to Clark, forgetting that Chloe was nearby. “Sorry about that. I have to get going.” Clark detected a genuine sadness in her voice. Naturally, he’d heard every word of her conversation, and now knew what all the mystery surrounding her was about.

Clark strangely wanted to tell Laura all about him, about the cave drawings, about Chloe, Lana, Lois, and everything, but he didn’t dare. After all they’d just met. “Can we give you a ride somewhere?” He offered, startling Chloe.

Clark was being direct, since when? She wondered. He was attempting to be trusting and aggressive? That didn’t make any sense, she considered the options. There appeared to be no harm in questioning Laura further.

“Um…yeah. I guess that would be okay.” Laura reluctantly agreed as she felt her heart begin to race. I just want to get them away from my Loracite, she silently planned some informative, yet meaningless conversation for the ride back to Falcon Claw.

It’s not as if they could injure or kidnap a mutant like me, Laura briefly wallowed in some self pity. I hate wallowing…

Chloe shook her head. She hated to leave a new mystery unsolved. Clark was also thinking along those lines. “Just a minute.” Laura stalled. “I want to grab some of the yellow minerals for my friend’s school science project.” She lied and whipped out a good sized test tube.

Placing her backpack nearby, Laura vaulted up the incline landing softly on the dusty bank of the creek. “Nimble, isn’t she?” Chloe asked as her voice dripped with sarcasm. “Clark, my Spidey-sense is tingling…” She began.

“You should’ve gone before we left.” Clark joked, cracking Chloe up. “Nice!” Chloe continued to chuckle. When did you develop a personality? She thought sourly. Laura meanwhile scooped up some raw Loracite rocks, and scraped some of the yellow mineral from the bottom of the shallow creek, placing both in the test tube.

With Laura out of earshot, Chloe pressed the point. “Well, what did you hear?” Clark gestured for her to wait. “We’ll talk about that later. Suffice it to say, Laura’s not a meteor freak. She’s speedy, but basically harmless, though I wish we knew more about her.”

As the gifted teen returned, Clark felt another sneeze coming on. This time he covered his mouth, softening the blast. Ah Choo! “Bless you!” Laura and Chloe chorused. Clark thanked them and sniffled. As soon as Laura packed away the samples, he felt better. An allergy? Clark scowled.

Laura gathered her backpack and followed them to the car. Chloe accepted Clark’s analysis for the moment. He held the door open for Laura and she smiled appreciatively. Chloe rolled her eyes.

How does he do it? Only Clark could find a turbo babe in the middle of nowhere and she’ll probably end up falling for him. She mentally grumbled.

“Sorry about the mini-car, but with gasoline over four dollars a gallon, my NASCAR days are over.” Chloe quipped. Once inside, Laura examined Clark more closely from the cramped back seat. She decided to trust him.

It made no sense, she silently admitted, but then what about all this does? Maybe he’s a freak of nature like me? She silently debated telling him the truth as Chloe headed back towards the main road.

“How’s that arm, Clark?” She asked warily. “It’s still bruised and a little stiff.” He replied. “Yeah, sorry about that.” Laura apologized. “To be honest Clark, you should have been knocked out at the very least.” She added, without giving it much thought.

“I felt like I ran into a brick wall.” Laura was pushing it. Clark gulped. “I could say the same about you, Laura. That was a solid hit.” He challenged. “Be thankful that you’re still in one piece.” She smirked.

Perfect, I just wonder…Laura was considering all types of options and scenarios. “Okay, I’m done ignoring the eight hundred pound gorilla in the car.” Laura fished. “No offense, Kent.” He turned to face her and was greeted with a brilliant smile. “None taken.” Clark returned the toothy grin.

“You should be flat on your back pushing up daisies.” Laura joked, though Clark didn’t find that at all amusing. “How long have you had supernatural abilities?” She’d thrown down the gauntlet. “Who says that they’re supernatural?” Clark countered.

Chloe was tempted to slam on the brakes and physically toss Laura out of the car. “Okay, if I’d hit Chloe by accident on my jog, you’d be going home alone today.” Laura said. Or maybe not, she smiled lustily.

“Who says that Chloe doesn’t have special abilities?” Clark verbally fenced with her. “Can we just change the subject?” Chloe pleaded. “No!” Clark and Laura chorused.
    “Fine.” She glanced at the open road ahead of her.

“By the way Laura, where exactly am I supposed to be going?” Chloe questioned. “Oh sorry! Take Route 16 west to Randella Road and turn left.” Laura was growing frustrated.

“I’ll start.” She volunteered.“I was normal as far as I know, until my thirteenth birthday. All of a sudden I found that I could run faster, jump higher, and swim better than the other kids. All of that without breaking a sweat.” Laura explained.

"I rarely ever got tired or sick. Now I’m about to turn eighteen. I have to graduate high school next semester and decide what to do with my life.” She shared. “Now it’s your turn.” Laura prodded.

Nice try, sister, Chloe mused. “Wait a minute. We just met.” She protested as Clark remained characteristically silent.“Yeah and?” Laura countered. She had the persistence of Lois, Clark observed.

“Fine, I was born this way.” Clark exaggerated. “Born what way?” Laura probed. Chloe sighed. “You might as well not bother with a secret identity, Clark.” She criticized. “Just put up a billboard.”

“I can run faster than nearly anyone on Earth.” Clark stated, trying to cut his losses. After all, Laura hadn’t really seen him use any of his abilities yet. “Really? I’ll have to race you sometime.” She flirted.

“That still doesn’t explain how I hit you with full speed and all you have is a bruised forearm.” Laura was way too observant for Chloe’s taste. “Fair enough.” Clark added. “I can also withstand a lot of impacts.”

Chloe scowled, wondering why Clark was being so free and easy with stories of his abilities. “Oh, here’s the turn off.” Laura interrupted, pointing towards the upcoming intersection.

Chloe sped up and skidded slightly on the gravelly road, as she changed directions. She couldn’t wait to drop Laura off. “Are you two heading back to Smallburg today?” Laura asked sarcastically. “Yes, we’re heading to Smallville tonight.” Clark replied coldly.

“Can I have your phone number?” Laura asked, shocking Clark with her directness. “Oh? Can I have yours?” Clark challenged. “Sure.” Laura answered without hesitation. She’d called his bluff as well. Clark didn’t need another problem.

On one hand Kara was more than enough for him to handle, on the other he wanted to keep Laura close until he found out what she was up to. Clark’s goal was to keep both girls away from exploiters like Lex Luthor. He continued to wrestle with the mixed feelings.

“Okay.” Clark finally said as Chloe stared daggers at him. “Clark, you’re not serious!” “Shoot, Clark.” Laura instructed. “I’ll put you right in my cell phone directory.” She had punched up her contacts list, which consisted of exactly three names. Miss popularity she was not.

Clark gave her his number and in fairness, she gave him hers. “You know, Clark, why not just put an ad in the paper?” Chloe chastised him. “Would you rather that Laura and her abilities fall into the wrong hands, say Lex’s?” He countered.

“Whoa! Wait a second! I’m no one’s stooge!” Laura protested. “I’m my own person, I owe no one!” Clark was very glad to hear that. Did she have the potential to join Oliver Queen’s band of misfits? Only time would tell. “Do you work at all?” Chloe inquired.

“No, just on my Aunt Wanda’s farm.” Laura responded. “Do your parents know about your abilities?” Clark grilled. “My parents died when I was a little girl.” Laura said with an edge to her voice. “I’m sorry, so did mine.”

Clark was technically telling the truth. “Does your Aunt Wanda know?” Chloe followed up. “Nope.” Laura sighed. “I didn’t want her to worry about me, or drag me to some quack doctor.” Chloe was satisfied with that answer.

She began to relax her opinion of Laura. Maybe Clark’s got a point, she considered, but he’s too trusting and naive. “Turn right at the next road.” Laura directed. “It leads to an access way to my Aunt’s farm.” She felt an odd pain in her stomach.

Would I ever see Clark or Chloe again? Was I just hungry? Ever resourceful, Laura had already memorized Chloe’s car model and license plate. She was confident that she could find her new friends. After all, how many Clark Kents and Chloe Sullivans can there be in or around Smallville?

The real mystery was their interest in the cave drawings…and Clark’s powers. “Here we are.” Laura forced herself to appear cheerful. “Did you guys want to come in for a while?” Especially you, Clark, she flirted silently. “Just don’t rat me out to Aunt Wanda. Promise?”

She asked politely, and again Clark was hesitant. He finally talked himself into it. It would be foolish to waste an opportunity to find out more about the gifted teenager, he rationalized.“Okay, it’s a deal.” Clark decided, speaking for Chloe.

He guessed that the cub reporter’s curiosity would get the best of her. She hadn’t as of yet, voiced any objections. Chloe pulled up alongside the modest bluish green ranch house at the center of the property.

The farm was fairly large with a greenish brown and white barn complete with grain silo nearby. “What do you guys grow on the farm?” Clark asked her, making small talk.
    He opened the car door for Laura, impressing her again. “We have corn, wheat, apples, cherries, and an assortment of common vegetables.” Laura replied happily.

“Any livestock?” He inquired, using his x-ray vision to confirm that they were alone.
    For all he knew, this could’ve been another Luthor trap laden with kryptonite. He berated himself for being overly paranoid. Laura unexpectedly took Clark’s hand, much to Chloe’s annoyance, as they surveyed the property.

“Just a few cattle and a couple of horses”, Laura answered. “We don’t make enough income to support a larger spread. My Aunt Wanda is also a partner in a local hardware store.” She beamed as she escorted Clark up the front porch and into the front door of the house.

Chloe trailed them, silently cursing the situation. It was obvious to her that Laura was already infatuated with Clark. She’d ‘been there, done that’ in the past and immediately recognized the signs. “Aunt Wanda?” Laura yelled, making Clark wince. “She’s not home.”

Clark had verified that, moments ago. “This is our house.” Laura announced, gesturing towards the large den with bricked walls, a stone fireplace, thick pine paneling, and a comfortable looking couch at the room’s center. Chloe immediately began searching for clues.

She started by investigating the photograph assortment atop the fireplace’s mantle. “It’s a simple t wo-bedroom, two bath.” Laura explained. “It’s enough for Aunt Wanda and I and it was quite affordable. In fact, the realtor seemed to be happy to be rid of it.” She rambled.

If Chloe wasn’t here, I’d show you the upstairs, Laura thought lustily. “Are these your parents?” Chloe had zeroed in on the centerpiece of the photo collection. It showed a young man and woman posing in front of an old general store. “Yes.” Laura said shortly, refusing to get upset.

“Oh! The Lakes!” Chloe exclaimed. “I remember reading the original story in the Daily Planet archives. Laura! They were murdered!” She added excitedly. “You are a good reporter, aren’t you?” Laura asked icily. Chloe reddened. “I’m sorry! Sometimes I don’t think before I get started.”

“That’s alright.” Laura accepted her apology. Clark detected a note of depression in Laura’s voice. “The case is listed as unsolved.” Chloe informed them, mostly for Clark’s benefit. “I don’t remember all that much about them.” Laura added wistfully.

“I don’t know everything about my biological parents, either.” Clark empathized. “Some of what I do know, I wish I didn’t.” He added sourly. Chloe wouldn’t let the subject go. “No suspects were ever questioned.” Laura affirmed Chloe’s statement.

“True. Any evidence had been wiped clean by a series of twisters which hit the area that day.” Laura recalled. “Don’t worry. I’ll find their killers, and bring them to justice. Mark my words, that day will come.” The conviction in her voice sent chills up Chloe’s spine.

Clark was taken aback by Laura’s directness. “Killers?” He echoed, latching onto the phrase. “Yes. My good friend’s father, Mr. Trent, had sworn under oath that there could’ve been two shooters at least, to the Falcon Claw Police Department. Of course, no one else saw anything.”

Laura’s voice took on a less menacing tone. “The Trents originally saved me and took me in, until they could contact my Aunt Wanda in Greensborough. She gave up her personal life to take care of me. That was just over twelve years ago.” She explained further.

Clark was noticing a pattern here. Laura’s story was akin to Lana Lang’s, Oliver Queen’s, and a number of the meteor freaks that Clark had defeated or dissuaded. He felt that he had to do something to prevent Laura from allying herself with the wrong people, like Lex or Tess Mercer.

He didn’t want her to follow in the other’s tragic footsteps, namely, using her unique abilities for revenge or destruction. Things tended to happen for a reason, Clark mused. He could’ve been meant to encounter Laura now, while she was young, to prevent trouble in the future.

Chloe was about to interrogate Laura further, when Clark interrupted. “Ready to go, Chlo’?” He cut her off. “You must be starved by now, after all the exercise today.” Chloe took the hint. Translation: ‘Back off of Laura’. “Uh…yeah.” She stammered. “Sounds good, Clark.”

“Did you guys want to stay and order a pizza?” Laura offered sheepishly. “I have no culinary skills at all.” Just like Lois, Clark thought with a bemused smile. Clearly Laura didn’t want to be alone. He wished that he could take the young girl back to Smallville with them.

That wasn’t really an option, Clark thought with resignation. Sooner or later, she’d find out about Kara and I and our bizarre histories. Then he’d have to explain everything to her. Laura had her own life to live. Yet, he could still invite her to visit. “Hello? Earth to Clark?” Laura joked.

Chloe decided to play the bad guy. It was obvious that Clark was waffling. “Thanks Laura, but we have to get going. I still have an article to write for the paper before tomorrow morning.” Laura glanced down at her feet sadly.

“Thanks for the invite, though.” Chloe added. Clark had made up his mind. “Hey Laura, why don’t you come out to Smallville and visit sometime?” He asked and immediately the teenager’s face brightened. Chloe simply shook her head.

“Ooh, sounds like a rockin’ good time.” Laura quipped. “Thanks, I’ll just do that.” Laura steeled her resolve, went up to Clark and hugged him. Chloe rolled her eyes, and Laura hugged her just for show. “It’s been nice meeting you.” She added, far too sweetly.

“Good luck researching the caves. Let me know if you find anything interesting. I could always use the info for a term paper.” Laura added as Chloe nodded. She sighed deeply as she led her visitors back to Chloe’s car.

Clark spotted a motorcycle parked beneath a tarp alongside the Lake’s barn. “Is that your ride?” He gestured towards it. "Yup. That’s my dad’s 1985 Gold Wing.” Laura replied seriously. “I don’t have a license for it yet.”

Chloe’s eyebrows rose. “You don’t really need a car or motorcycle, do you?” Laura shrugged. “It’s mostly for sentimental value, as is my dad’s red Mustang. “I’ve got it covered and locked up inside the barn.” Laura continued.

“I have to try and keep up appearances." Laura admitted as Clark nodded. “I can relate to that!” He recalled his early infatuation with his dad, Jonathan’s motorcycle. "I also have a dirt bike and a ten speed." Laura added. “Good bye! See you soon?” she asked hopefully.

Clark flashed his devastating smile. “You can count on it.” Laura fought back a tear. Why am I being such a wuss? She wondered silently.

Maybe the Loracite is starting to wear off? She waved as Clark and Chloe drove away.
    Maybe she had just fallen in love?

Next: chapter 2: Companion
    Last edited by gardy1; 05-31-2011, 07:05 AM. Reason: chapter update

Laura Lake of Falcon Claw - Companion

This is a crossover fic between my original character, and Smallville regulars: Enjoy.

Companion Episode 2

"What do you think of her, Chlo'?" Clark asked as they arrived back in Smallville. "She's got potential." She replied. "My problem with Laura is that she's young and probably immature."

"True." Clark reluctantly agreed. "I stand by what i've said. We need to keep her out of Lex's clutches or whoever else might try to usurp or coerce Laura into using her abilities the wrong way."

"Don't we have enough going on in our lives, Clark?" Chloe mildly protested, though deep down she knew he was right. "I've been thinking about that, Chlo'." Clark began. "Maybe it's time that I look at the bigger picture."

"Such as?" Chloe turned onto the gravelly access road which led to the Kent farmhouse. "Lex will never give up trying to perfect the meteor freaks of Level 33.1. Even if he did, i'm sure that he'd find another way to abuse and increase his power."

"Meaning?" Chloe pressed his point as she pulled up alongside the barn. "It's time that I let go..." Clark choked on his words. "Let go of Lana, and my failed attempts to lead a so-called normal life."

"Whoa! Clark, that's heavy!" Chloe commented as she got out of her car. He joined her, as they leaned on the corral fence to watch the horses gallop and the sun set. "More to follow, i'm sure..." Chloe quipped. (See Beyond Smallville: Evolution.)

Amazingly, Laura hadn’t felt bad about letting Clark and Chloe go. That wore off soon, though, as the boredom of early summer set in. There was only one thing to do, road trip! She thought excitedly.

What should I tell Aunt Wanda? She brainstormed. After I finish my chores, which will take me all of five minutes, I’ll just tell her the truth, she mentally joked.

I could just see it, Aunt Wanda, I’m running off to Kansas, literally, to hook up with an older boy whom I just met, see you later! Yeah, that will work! She thought sarcastically.

I know! I have to go on a field trip for a school project! She decided. Aces! Laura soon zipped off towards Smallville. She found the small agricultural town with little effort.

Before trying to track Chloe and Clark down she checked out Metropolis. Man, this is the biggest city I’ve ever seen! She thought as she strolled through Metropolis Center Park.

Laura quickly skirted Metropolis Bay and wandered along the Mikosugee River, which led to rural Kansas and eventually emptied into the Mississippi.

After all those miles she still hadn’t broken a sweat. This Loracite stuff has staying power, she observed. Golden Hawk Casino? Laura noted. Too bad that you have to be eighteen to gamble.

She zipped past the brightly decorated gambling house, taking a moment to watch an antique paddlewheel Mississippi Riverboat slowly churn up the water as it neared the old wooden wharf.

Time to track down my guy, Laura thought lustily. She sped back to Smallville, stopping at the only coffee house that she could find, The Talon. Not exactly a happening place, she thought wryly.

Two suspicious looking creeps were ascending the stairs at the rear of the establishment. Laura concentrated and used her unusual vision to check the men out. Whoa! They’re both packing! She gasped. I guess it’s time to find out if I’m bulletproof!

Hmm! What if they’re cops? No, something doesn’t smell right about this, and I’m not thinking of the day old coffee grounds and stale Danishes located at the back of the Talon’s kitchen!

Laura continued to wrestle with her idea. Curiosity finally got the better of her. Only one way to find out! Laura zipped past the dark suited guys. They weren’t very subtle. The suits stood out in the crowd of blue collar and farm workers that frequented the Talon.

Her blinding speed kept anyone from watching her. Laura seemed to appear out of nowhere. The lead goon had reached the top edge of the landing, his partner just a few stairs behind.

Laura quickly glanced at the names above the apartment’s mail slot. Chloe Sullivan and Lois Lane, Bingo! She thought excitedly. Laura pounded on the door. “Girls? Girls? We have visitors!” No reply. Laura received no response. Apparently they were out.

She turned to face the first thug. “Can I help you gentlemen?” She asked far too sweetly. “Beat it kid!” The leader growled. “This don’t concern you!” Laura blocked his path. “Are you policemen?” She inquired casually.

“Is that any of your business?” The second goon asked menacingly. “That doesn’t answer my question.” Laura’s smile faded as she challenged them. “Let’s see some identification, or a search warrant.” She ordered.

The first creep then made a nearly fatal mistake. He shoved his weapon into Laura’s stomach, hiding it from the remaining Talon patrons. “Here’s my I D.” He grumbled. “Now move it or lose it. I won’t ask again.”

Game On! She joked. Laura assumed an attack pose. Okay Tim, wherever you are, here’s my first real test. She thought sourly. Laura punched the lead gunman in the jaw with a devastating left cross.

The impact knocked him through the banister, off the landing, and onto the floor below, smashing an empty café table. That’s what I get for watching too many violent Saturday morning cartoons, she quipped silently.

Two customers quickly grabbed their cell phones and dialed 911, while others rapidly left the establishment, fearing any involvement. The thug’s gun had gone off. Laura was hit square in the upper midriff above her ribcage.

She felt the bullet bounce off and fall to the ground. “Ow!” She said simply. Thankfully, the bullet hadn’t penetrated her skin. Just knowing that she felt it was a relief and a concern at the same time.

I’ll worry about that later, she mused. Laura kicked the second gunman in the chest, and he sailed all the way into the cash register area. He never hit a stair.

Both goons were seriously injured, mostly cuts, bruises, broken bones, and possibly concussions, yet they would live. Laura had successfully tested and measured her powers for the first time. They’d require some quality time at Smallville Medical though.

Sirens wailed in the distance. Game over! Laura smirked. Just like a good old Western movie! Time to go! Things had happened so fast, and with the super speed of her exit, Laura was confident that no one could positively identify her.

The turbo powered teen zipped past Smallville’s finest as they came in to bust the goons. Laura continued on down the street at normal speed and since Smallville hadn’t heard of the concept of an Internet Café, she had to track down Clark the old fashioned way.

The area phone number book, Laura grinned, how quaint. In moments, her super speed vision had picked out Clark’s address. She took a moment to locate the map of the surrounding area.

Since being infected by the Loracite, her memory had been enhanced. With some concentration, Laura was able to commit nearly anything to instant recall. It came in handy for all those tests in high school, she mused.

“I’m on my way, sweetie.” Laura muttered as she sped off towards the rural farmland areas, and out of sight. In seconds, she was slowing down approaching the Kent Farm. Laura’s visual perception shift returned to normal, and the visible humidity evaporated back into the air.

Three cows were startled by Laura’s arrival. They mooed incessantly and backed away from her. “Oh hush, you walking cheeseburgers.” She taunted the cattle.

Laura casually strolled up the stairs to Clark’s wraparound porch and knocked on the Kent’s door. “Oh Clark?” Laura called out flirtatiously. She tried the screen door and then the inner wooden door. Both were open.

“You’ve got to love these provincial areas.” She commented to herself. Laura headed into the kitchen, and forced her superior vision to scope out the house. Hmm! No beau hunk or blonde sidekick, she thought cynically.

The barn! Laura snapped her thin fingers. She zipped back outside and entered the brightly colored red barn with matching silo. A golden brown dog barked at her intrusion, baring his sparkling white canine teeth.

“Sssh! Sit!” The teen commanded the family pet. Shelby / Krypto reduced his aggressive posture and settled for smelling Laura from a distance. “Clark?” She called out and immediately ascended the stairs to his loft.

“Sweet!” Laura praised his décor, gathering some ideas for her own barn at home. “Laura?” Clark approached her from the shadows. “What’re you doing here?”

Laura placed her hands on her shapely hips, feigning offense. “Nice to see you too, Kent!” She mocked. “Hello? You invited me, remember? Are you deaf, or do you have male selective hearing?” Laura playfully teased.

“I heard you.” Clark defended. He was clearly in a bad mood. “I just wanted to be sure of who you were.” Laura sidled in closer to him. “It hasn’t been that long. What, three or four weeks? Paranoid much?” She asked sarcastically.

She edged nearer to him, making Clark uncomfortable. Laura took a moment to glance over the railing at Clark’s red pickup, which had been partially covered by a large beige canvas. (See Beyond Smallville: Evolution)

“I take it you’re hiding out up here?” Laura grilled. She was far too swift for her own good, Clark observed. “What makes you say that?” He baited her.

“Oh possibly these two goons that I ran into near Chloe’s apartment in town. Don’t worry, I decked them both and now their faces are wiping the Talon’s floor. The cops were on the way when I bolted.” Laura said proudly.

“Whoa! You laid out two thugs?” Clark was skeptical. “Sure, I’m the super girl, remember?” Laura quipped. Clark rolled his eyes. We already have one of those around here somewhere, he thought sourly.

Laura came there seeking answers, and likely searching for truths about her future. “What are you and your sidekick into, Clark? Drugs? Gambling? Stolen freshly baked apple pies?” Laura asked facetiously.

“You have way too much imagination, Laura.” He defended, “Really? Well I didn’t imagine this.” Laura pulled up the front of her shirt baring her bruised midriff.

Clark reddened and tried not to stare. Laura had about a three inch black and red discoloration just above her ribcage. She’d also inadvertently revealed the lower part of her white lace bra. Clark shifted uneasily.

“Those men were carrying some serious hardware.” Laura remarked.The Feds from this afternoon maybe, or Lex’s hitmen, Clark surmised. “What did they look like?” He inquired.

“Just your typical suited goons, built like brick outhouses, short cropped black hair, and a nasty temperament.” Laura joked. That sounds like our friends from the sedan all right. He concluded.

“Wait a minute!” Clark had realized something. “They gave you that bruise?” “That’s right.” Laura boasted. “I deflected a bullet with my abs of steel.” She grinned broadly.

“They shot you point blank?” Clark asked incredulously. “Yeah, well one did. The other one took flight courtesy of my new Sketchers.” Laura lifted one foot, showing off her running shoe.

Clark noted her long tan legs, which led up to a common pair of blue jean shorts. “You’re bulletproof?” He asked, amazed. “Apparently.” Laura smirked as she moved within an arm’s length of Clark. “I don’t know if I’ll always be so.” She added honestly.

Seventeen? Clark shook his head. Laura was a teenager with awesome power, he observed. He’d already assessed that she resembled a cross between Lana and Lois, yet she was younger and more reckless. Laura was in definite need of guidance. Super sidekick, anyone?

She had that much in common with his youthful cousin, Kara. Clark wondered whether Laura was a gift or a curse. She wasn’t a meteor freak as far as they knew. Perhaps Laura was similar to Impulse, AC, Dinah, or some new type of genetic mutation.

Clark sighed. Either way, Laura couldn’t be allowed to fall under the wrong influences. How to proceed? Clark wondered. I can’t just keep her here on the farm like I can with Kara. I guess I need more information.

“Laura, what brings you to Central Kansas?” He asked. “You do." Clark couldn’t have predicted that response. “It sure wasn’t the rockin’ good Smallville nightlife.” Laura joked.

“I was bored, I wanted to go sightseeing…and I wanted to see you again.” Laura gulped as she flirted. Clark blushed. Now what do I do? He wondered silently.

Clark was around four years her senior, not that he was looking for another romantic entanglement after the debacle with Lana. Laura was simply a headstrong turbocharged teenager.

“Does your Aunt Wanda know that you’re here?” He interrogated. “Of course not.” Laura snorted. “Did you always tell your parents where you were going, what you were doing and whom you were doing it with?” She challenged.

“No.” Clark responded. He had to admit she had a point. Laura plopped herself comfortably onto his couch. She brushed her long straight hair behind her ears and folded her arms. Clearly she wasn’t going anywhere in a hurry.

More to come: For now check out "Death in the Heartland"

Comment

I Love It!!!!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing - Companion

Laura was basically human, based on Clark’s reading of her vital signs. Her heartbeat checked out, and he’d quickly x-rayed his young friend, finding no unusual physiology. The one anomaly that he’d located was a brightly colored element within her bloodstream.

He was thankful that it wasn’t Kryptonite. He had to still question her as to how she’d acquired these extraordinary abilities. Clark recalled that Emily Dinsmore’s clone had been able to move faster than the human eye could see. He seriously hoped that Laura wasn’t another Luthorcorp experiment gone wild. “Okay Clark, your turn. Let’s hear it, super boy. How can you possess these unusual powers?”

Laura continued to goad him. “Let’s see what you got.” Clark hesitated as she got up off the couch and walked over to him, with her hands on her hips. “I don’t know, Laura. What if somebody sees me?” He mildly protested, remembering that Lois was on her way over.

“Clark, we’re on a farm in the middle of nowhere, Kansas. Who’s watching? A herd of cows?” Laura urged. “Alright.” Clark looked around nervously, and listened for any approaching vehicles. “Let’s go behind the barn.” Laura smirked, seizing on that line. “Ooh! Taking me behind the barn, are you?”

She shamelessly flirted. “I don’t know you that well, yet.” Laura joked as Clark reddened. They took turns leaping out of the barn loft window, landing below near the corral. Laura stood by expectantly. “Let’s start with something easy. How fast can you run?”

Clark ran around in a circle, spinning and spinning until he turned into a red and blue blur. Laura lost track of him, choosing instead to follow the ground level dust and debris whirlwind he’d created. Her hair was blown completely to one side, as she withstood the tornado like blast of wind.

He finally slowed down, stopping directly in front of her. “Sweet!” Laura exclaimed. “I’m impressed. You’re not even sweaty or tired?” Clark shook his head. “I take it you have plenty of stamina, lucky me!” She heavily flirted. “Nice!” Clark said, looking embarrassed.

Laura rubbed her thin chin. “Okay, try this!” She readied herself, and charged at Clark, catching him by surprise. She literally ran up Clark’s leg, waist, and chest before back flipping upward, and landing softly in a gymnastic style somersault. Clark’s eyes widened. She was certainly talented...

Clark considered the possibility that Laura could help them in their cause. She was a bit young for hanging out with Oliver, AC, and Dinah, but she was roughly Kara’s age or Bart’s. “Now here’s something entirely different.” Laura boasted. She gauged her route, and accelerated.

Laura ran directly at the barn, then at the last second, she leaped straight up, landing sloppily on the barn’s lower sloped roof, high above the corral. “Wow!” Clark’s eyes widened. “Be careful up there.” He warned. “It’s not as if I can get hurt, Clark!” She replied overconfidently.

Clark’s lip curled in a playful sneer. “No, but if you wreck the barn roof, I have to replace it.” He dead panned. Laura laughed. “Watch and learn, my young apprentice.” she teased, lowering her voice. “I must become one with the air around me.” She continued to ham it up.

Laura spun in place slowly. She then ran toward the barn silo, vaulting over it, and launched herself into the air like a high diver, spreading her arms wide, and somersaulting downward. Laura appeared to defy gravity briefly, as she corkscrewed in midair, flipping back to the vertical.

She landed gracefully beside Clark, barely scattering the pebbles and dust of the barnyard. It wasn’t necessarily the height of Laura’s jump, only three to five stories, but her style, that Clark appreciated. “Nice control!” Clark praised, delighting the gifted teen.

“You got me. I can’t even do that.” He said humbly as Laura smiled. “Yeah, well that’s two years of gymnastics, three years of martial arts training, and two years of classical ballet, courtesy of my Aunt Wanda. No, you may not tell anyone that secret. About the ballet, I mean, it would trash my rep!”

Clark was truly curious. “Your Aunt Wanda?” He prodded. Laura looked down as she related the story about her parents’ murders. “They never did find the gunmen. The tornado wiped any evidence clean.” She concluded. Clark felt for her. At least he hadn’t caused her tragedy, unlike Lana’s story.

“I never knew my biological parents...just learned bits and pieces.” Clark opened up to her. “The Kents adopted me while I was still in diapers.” Laura was saddened. “Oh Clark, I’m sorry.” She wanted to hug him, but resisted. “Don’t be.” Clark added sourly. “The Kents were more like a real family than any biological parents could ever be.” Laura decided to change the depressing subject.

She didn’t want to dwell on the past anyway, for the first time, Laura could see a pleasant future for herself, though she admittedly fantasized that Clark would be a major part of it. “Can you fight, Clark?” She asked him point blank. “I don’t like to fight, Laura.” He answered honestly.

It was a nice change of pace for Clark, instead of always being on guard about his secret. He was warming up to the cocky teen. He briefly considered a possible romance with her, given the state of his relationship with Lana, or lack thereof. She was just too young, too reckless...he thought silently.

“No one likes to fight, Clark. At least most people don’t.” Laura rationalized. “You should know how to defend yourself, though. I mean, what if you lose your powers?” Clark nodded warily, recalling all of the times that he had, in fact, lost his abilities. Laura made a good point.

“Its not as if anyone can hurt me, physically, at least.” Clark contended. Laura would not be swayed. “Even if your powers were substantially reduced, you should know some basic defense techniques.” Clark rolled his eyes at her. “Humor me.” She insisted, playfully.
        “Clark, our powers are what make us unique. We should embrace them, and use them for the greater good. We can do things that no one else can. I’ve accepted that.” Laura lectured. “If it all goes away, we should still be able to help, in any situation. One was is to focus.”

Laura closed her eyes and began to stalk Clark like a hungry lioness. She struck what Clark assumed was a martial arts pose. Her legs were slightly spread apart as she walked slowly sideways, encircling Clark, and moving in closer to him with every revolution.

Laura placed her hands in front of her face and stomach, rotating them slightly. She focused her gaze on Clark’s chest. “Watch and learn, Grasshopper!” She taunted. In a flurry of motion, Laura unleashed three kicks. One of which, nearly took Clark’s head off! He barely avoided contact by quickly leaning back. “Laura, you’re going to get hurt!” Clark yelled, when he regained his composure.

The adventurous teen stepped back into her original stance, smirking darkly. “I seriously doubt that, Clark. My martial arts classes, taught by a Kung Fu Master, Tsu Jin, prepares us for any attack or eventuality."

“You never seriously injured someone?” Superman was skeptical. “Not until today, Clark, when I pounded on those two goons at Chloe’s. Master Tsu Jin teaches control. Observe.”

Laura altered her attack position to defend mode. Clark mirrored her stance. “Be careful, Laura.” He reminded her. “Okay Clark, now lunge at me.” She directed. “No. You’re gonna get hurt.” Clark froze in place, as Laura shifted her weight. “You’re not afraid of a girl, are you Clarkie?” She challenged.

She moved in a step closer to him, gauging her move. “Laura, I’m going to end up taking you to Smallville Medical.” He protested. “Grr!” Laura snarled as she charged him, and surprised Clark with a devastating roundhouse kick. He was too slow to block the attack! The teen’s foot impacted him right in the face! The force of the blow knocked Clark a good thirty feet backwards into the side of the barn.

Clark shattered the middle four boards and as splinters flew everywhere, he slid to the ground. There was a gaping hole in the wall behind him. Laura put her hand over her mouth. “Oops! Sh**!” She exclaimed, rushing over to his prone form. “Clark! Are you all right?” she asked worriedly.

He mumbled something unintelligible. Laura bent down over Clark. “Oh my gawd!” Laura gasped. Superman was bleeding from the nose and mouth! The blood dripped down his chin, and his eyes were glassy and half shut. Laura tore off her pink shirt, leaving only a black spaghetti strap camisole top. She pressed the shirt against his nose, in an attempt to stop the flow of blood.

“Hold still.” She ordered. “You’re supposed to block my kick with your arm, not your face.” Laura attempted to lighten the mood. “C’mon honey! Snap out of it!” She softly slapped Clark’s cheeks. She straddled him, keeping constant pressure on his nose. “Huh?” He pointed upwards.

“Whatever, Clark! You’re delirious.”Laura’s strength had quickly stopped the bleeding, but his nose was swelling up. “Keep applying pressure! Dude, I’m going in to get some ice!” She explained.

A maroon four door car pulled up in the driveway. “Lo lis” Clark mumbled, as his best friend and fellow journalist hurried towards the barn. “Clark? What the hell were you doing? You’re a mess!” Lois yelled frantically, just as Laura returned with a pack of ice from the freezer. “Who the...?”

Laura ignored Lois and placed the ice compress on Clark’s nose and upper lip. “Ow!” He yelped, amazed that he could still feel the pain from the impact. “Okay what the hell were you two doing, and who are you again?” Laura steadied the ice pack before turning toward Lois.

“Laura, Laura Lake.” She said happily. Not the best way to make a new friend, she thought sourly. “Did she do this?” Lois pointed. “Yeth!” Clark answered as he reddened. “You want me to call the cops?” She offered. “No.” Clark removed the compress. He was starting to feel a bit better.

Lucky for him, that it was a nice sunshine filled day. It helped him heal quickly. Laura gaped at Clark’s fast recovery. “The horseplay just got out of hand, Lois.” He defended Laura. “Horseplay? It looks more like a herd of cattle stampeded over your face.” She taunted.

“What have you got to say for yourself, missy?” Lois waved her index finger at Laura. “I’m sorry. Like he said, the horseplay got out of control. I didn’t mean to beat up on your boyfriend.” She threw in the dig. “He’s not my boyfriend.” Lois corrected. Laura’s face lit up.

“Do you want me to leave?” Laura asked, giving him the puppy eyes. “No. You’re going to help me fix the barn.” Clark joked, now that the bleeding had stopped and the swelling was going down. Lois snorted, and stomped into the house. “That was way embarrassing.” Laura commented.

“Tell me about it.” Clark agreed as he rubbed his jaw. He hated to admit it, but that was one of the most interesting things that had happened in recent memory. It was good to know how much power the troublesome teen had. “That’s quite a roundhouse kick you’ve got there.” He praised.

“If Lois isn’t your girlfriend, then what’s she doing here?” The teen grilled as she helped Clark to his feet. “Lois lives with me, hopefully on a temporary basis.” He replied, mussing up her hair. “If it’s any of your business.” Laura forced a smile. “If I’d known how fragile you are...” She teased.

“Fragile?” Clark echoed, pretending to be offended. “Yes. Like a delicate little flower.” She continued to playfully berate him. Laura took off running, and Clark caught up to her before she could go hyper speed in front of Lois, and tickled her good-naturedly in the ribs with both hands.

She fell over, giggling. Lois watched them fool around from the kitchen window, sniffing in disgust. It took her a moment to remember that Clark was only twenty one or so. He still acted like a school kid on occasion. It was one thing that endeared him to her, though she’d never admit it.

Or would she?

more on the way...

Comment

AWESOME! You're doing a great job!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing - Unrest

PG13 – language, violence, nothing too bad, a bit steamy

“When all of the logical conclusions have been drawn or disproved, that which remains, however illogical, must be the truth.” – Sherlock Holmes

Laura Lake had left Lois and Clark alone in the darkened Kent farmhouse. The super powered teen was quite pleased with herself, having tracked Chloe and Clark down in a matter of moments.

The mysterious Clark Kent had turned out to be quite cool, and pleasing to the eye, she thought. Lois Lane was a different matter, Laura considered. Was she or wasn’t she his girlfriend? Clark hadn’t really answered her question at all. Laura needed a new plan. Back in Falcon Claw, given time, she might just come up with something.

Unrest: Chapter 3

Lois breathed heavily as Clark sat on the edge of the bed with her. “Lois, I’ve loved you since I first met you.” He confessed as he held her close. “I’ve always loved you too, Clark. It’s time we stopped pretending and showed each other that love will conquer all.” Clark kissed Lois passionately.

He ran his fingers through her long silky brown hair. He gently lifted the spaghetti strap of her black lace negligee off of one shoulder, kissing her neck, and working his way towards her throat. Lois stood, letting the negligee fall to the floor before him. “Aaaah!” Lois yelled suddenly.

The young reporter bolted upright in Clark’s bed. She was alone, and sweat poured down her face, the droplets pelting her faded Whitesnake tee shirt. Lois was covered in sweat. “Whew! I’m about twenty years too young for hot flashes.” She muttered to the empty room.

Me and farmer green jeans, the flannel king? I don’t think so! It must have been something I ate. Lois rationalized. What the hell was in that chilidog anyway? I shutter to think. “2:38 AM. Wonderful.” She mumbled. Either way, soaked in sweat, Lois padded her bare feet across the hardwood floor.

Lois quietly stumbled in the darkness down the hallway to the secondary upstairs bathroom. She silently closed the washroom door, careful not to awaken Clark, who was asleep on the couch downstairs. “What a nightmare!” She grumbled, turning on the cool water of the bathroom sink.

Lois had grabbed a fresh, clean, washcloth and towel from the linen closet. She slipped off the damp tee shirt and began washing up. Clark held her close from behind, kissing her shoulder and neck, as his arms wrapped around her thin waist. Lois dropped the towel to the bathroom floor.

“Gah!” Lois pinched her arm. “I thought that I was awake! Ouch! Yup, I’m awake.” What the hell is wrong with me? She wondered silently, as she continued to wash up. There was no point in putting the soiled clothes back on, so Lois wrapped the towel around her and headed back to bed.

She silently flipped her sweaty clothes, and the towel, into the corner of the room, near the plastic laundry basket, donning clean sweat pants, and a plain white tee shirt. Lois sat on the edge of the bed silently hoping that whatever problem she had, would quickly solve itself.

Lois pulled her feet underneath her, and slid beneath the still damp sheets. “Yuk!” She complained, rearranging the pillows beneath her head, and tossing the sheets onto the floor.
            Suddenly, Lois lay in a bright field of emerald green grass, with full, multicolored flowers all around her. Clark was sprawled comfortably next to her, with his head in her lap. He smiled brightly, glancing up at her, as she ran her fingers through his tousled hair. Here we go again!

Lois happily pulled him atop her. She was wearing a bright, white lace, wedding gown. Clark was wearing a handsome black suit with a bright orange flower pinned to one lapel. “Congratulations, Mrs. Kent!” Clark said in his most charming farm boy voice.

“Why thank you, Mr. Kent!” Lois said as she examined her gold and white diamond ring. Hey, at least this dream’s nice, she thought, falling asleep with a stupid smile on her face. About an hour later, she awoke with a start. “This sucks!” She grumbled quietly. “3:30 AM! Swell!”

Maybe it’s a hormonal thing, Lois analyzed, as she got up out of bed, and headed once again out into the darkened hallway. Wrong cycle to be PMS! She crept downstairs, instinctively checking on Clark, assumed to still be on the couch. “What?” The sofa was empty, and hadn’t been slept in!

“Clark?” She yelled into the empty house, startling Shelby / Krypto. The dog yapped for a few moments before he realized it was Lois. He wagged his tail, leading her to his empty water dish. Lois absently filled it up. Where the hell could Clark have gone at 3:30 in the morning? She mused.

Lois grabbed a glass of milk and slipped back into the den, plopping down in the middle of Clark’s bed sheets, pillows, and blankets. At least they were dry, she observed. “This is nuts!” She grumbled, reflexively patting Shelby / Krypto ‘s head. The makeshift bed had been neatly organized.

“Maybe he never came back!” Lois said to the dog worriedly. Where had he been just before she went to bed? Lois tried to recall, her mind was in disarray from lack of sleep and vivid dreams. He said, ‘Lois, I’m going to the barn to get some paperwork.’ She remembered after a moment. She’d waved at him dismissively, instead concentrating on her Daily Planet article.

“Oh my god! Maybe he fell and was injured, possibly dying!” Lois rambled loudly, upsetting Krypto / Shelby. Lois dashed over to the barn barefooted, stopping here and there to clean off her feet, or brush sharp pebbles from them, afraid that they’d break the skin.

“Clark? Are you okay? Talk to me!” Lois yelled as she ran into the darkened barn, sliding briefly on the leftover straw and sawdust. She grabbed a flashlight that fortunately still worked, and searched the lower level of the barn. Nothing. Lois began to climb up the ladder to his loft.

The wooden steps had jabbed some slivers into her feet. Lois yelped twice, finally making it to the top, and swung over the well-built banister, landing beside Clark’s old sofa bed sleeper. No one was around. Lois sank into the chair, sobbing. “I’m losing it!” She shouted, scaring a barn owl from its lofty perch. “Damn it, Kent, if anything happened to you…I’ll never forgive myself!”

Lois had been emotionally distraught since she and Oliver broke up. This was the icing on the cake as far as she was concerned. After a few more sobs, she became more angry than worried. “Ouch!” she rubbed her foot, which was now bleeding. Lois tried to stand, as the pain arced to her brain, making her whimper, which in turn made her more angry.

“Lois?” Clark called up from below. “Are you okay?” She hobbled over to the edge of the railing. “Smallville?” Lois tried to wipe the tears from her face. She couldn’t face him like that. Clark zipped up the wooden stairs, catching Lois just before she lost her footing, the flashlight crashed to the ground. “What’re you doing up here in the middle of the night?” Clark asked warily.

ground. “What’re you doing up here in the middle of the night?” Clark asked warily.
            Lois couldn’t stop herself. She cried in his arms. He held her tight. “What the hell is wrong with you?” She attempted to sound tough, failing miserably. “Me? What did I do?” Clark asked with a mixture of puzzlement and annoyance. “I went downstairs, and your couch hadn’t been slept in.”

“Oh!” Clark reddened. He was caught. “I ...uh…couldn’t sleep.” Which was at best, a half-truth. He hadn’t been sleeping very well, worrying about Lex’s evil plans, Laura’s unusual step of tracking him down, and finally the government goons watching Chloe and Jimmy’s Talon apartment.

“Come on, let’s get to bed.” Clark urged, unaware of how that sounded to a distraught Lois. “I can’t.” Lois whined. “My feet.” She picked one up to show him. It was bleeding profusely. “Aww! What happened?” He hugged her tightly. “I don’t want to discuss it!” Lois snapped.

Without asking, Clark picked her up, and carried Lois quickly and effortlessly down the stairs, past the corral, across the yard, and back into the house. He sat her down on a kitchen chair, flipping on the light. “Let me get those slivers out before you bleed to death.” He tried to joke, as Lois continued to wipe the tears from her eyes. She felt foolish and childish, but more relaxed now that he was home.

Clark propped one long leg up on the table, grabbed a clean washcloth, and wiped Lois’s feet, further infuriating the proud young journalist. He also came up with a sewing needle, and for show, ran the point briefly over the open flame of the range. “Now turn your head.” Clark teased.

Lois fought back a snicker. “Pu-lease, Smallville! I’m a big girl, and an Army brat to boot. Do you think a few slivers is enough to keep me down?” Clark needed a new ruse. “Shelby! Get down!” He yelled at the confused pooch, who watched silently from the den. He wagged his tail.

Lois turned her head instinctively. It gave Clark just enough time to use his pinpoint heat vision on Lois’s feet, blasting the slivers into dust, and she barely felt a thing. “What? What’s the dog doing?” Lois asked. By that time, Clark was done, and he washed her feet with the cold washcloth.

“Are you going to get those…?” Lois realized that the splinters and the pain were gone. “All set, Lois.” Clark smiled proudly. “What? Well. Thanks, Doctor Phil.” Lois rubbed her feet, and sure enough, they didn’t bother her. “Wrong type of doctor.” He joked. She stood up to make sure that the slivers were gone, and quickly walked around the cool kitchen floor.

“Where did you go?” Lois asked, more like a concerned wife, than a pissed off friend. “I heard that a storm front was coming in, and I wanted to secure the livestock before it hit.” Clark was almost telling the truth. There was a massive buildup of thunderstorms on the way, and he had cleared the area of debris, and located the remaining cattle. He walked to the window… “See?”

Lois padded comfortably across the floor and glanced over his broad shoulder, stepping onto her tiptoes. Sure enough, about a dozen cattle shifted positions in the secondary corral. Lois gulped. She knew for a fact, that there hadn’t been a single cow there on her way to the barn. Clark had lied.

Lois stood back from the window and tried to determine what exactly he’d been up to. Her head hurt with the effort. The stress of the vivid dreams, lack of sleep, and injured feet was too much for her to consider. Whatever Clark had been doing, at least he was home safe, and that was all she could ask for. If she ever wanted to trust him fully, like in her dreams, she’d have to start somewhere.

“Oh, well that’s good.” Lois commented, swallowing her pride. As if on cue, thunder rolled in the distance, the darkened clouds roiled when illuminated by the intense flashes of lightning. “I like thunderstorms, Clark.” She smiled brightly, catching him off guard. “Watch them with me?”

next; Explorer

Comment

Love it!!!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing - Explorer

Explorer Chapter 4

Laura had made her way back to Falcon Claw:

Laura had decided to explore the Tekameh Caves alone. She’d borrowed a number of items from Tim, such as a flashlight, digital flash camera, small trash bag, small pick ax, large test tubes, and a heavy duty shovel.

The equipment was no problem for her to carry due to her substantial strength and endurance. Her aim was to collect a number of the yellowish stones, the surrounding golden liquid, and any other soil samples.

Tim could study all of these and hopefully come up with a connection to her acquired super powers.

What Laura didn’t know was that this day would completely change her life. She had talked her Aunt Wanda into letting her buy a dirt bike. She could certainly run faster than the machine, yet Tim had told her that she needed to keep up appearances.

The specter of being turned into a lab rat still frightened her, though she was beginning to doubt that any cell could hold her. Laura had only told two people where she was going, Tim, and her Aunt Wanda, the busy middle-aged lady who had been Laura’s legal guardian since her parents had died.

Wanda thought that Laura was silly for exploring musty old caves on a beautiful spring day, but let her have her fun. She meant well, Laura grumbled, but Aunt Wanda tended to be overprotective. She’d only recently told Laura about the brutal slaying of her parents when she was a child.

Laura had been depressed for months after hearing the truth, but soon realized that she had needed to understand it. Today, she was full of an almost obsessive curiosity about the caves and the strange yellow minerals which ran through them. She sped towards Crater Lake on her dirt bike.

Laura loved speed. It was a bit reckless of her, she knew, but it’s not as if she was going to get hurt on the powerful motorbike. She was mindful, of course, that she could hurt others. Quickly, she came upon the trail nearly rendered invisible by the vegetation’s overgrowth.

The trail led up a slight incline, which was just above the Tekameh Cave entrance. Laura had spied the yellow liquid still running beneath the fresher clearer water of Comet Creek. She slowed and then stopped her motorbike, prudently hiding it behind some dense shrubbery.

Laura hopped off and immediately examined the yellow minerals just below her feet. She dug a bit of it out, and placed it carefully in the first of the large test tubes. Using her immense strength, Laura had crushed the yellow mineral rocks into powder. She sealed the tube and stored it in Tim’s kit.

Laura located the partially hidden entrance to the cave, and engaged her high powered kryptonite flashlight. The greenish glow played across the dark cave walls. She advanced slowly, peering into the darkness with her superior vision. She caught a glimpse of some odd colored stones just ahead.

The young explorer walked up to the rocky crag and gazed intensely at the color patterns. She aimed the specialized flashlight’s beam at the wall. The color patterns were actually some type of drawings, apparently engraved into the cave wall. As she moved along, the drawings disappeared.

The etchings only became visible under the direct beams from the flashlight. They appeared in between the more common Native American writings. "That’s bizarre!" She exclaimed aloud. Laura used her heightened sense of touch to feel the images that had been carved into the rocks.

To the uneducated, the indentations would appear to be simple imperfections in the cave wall surface. The perfect way to hide a message from the ancient Tekamah Tribe, Laura assumed. The writings on the walls could have been meant for a more advanced race...to be read in the future!

Laura flipped the flashlight beams further along the passageway, following the hidden drawings deep into the cavern. The rocky path led her in a roughly circular pattern toward a much larger antechamber. Finally, the mysterious writings ended at an amazingly smooth patch of cave wall.

At the center of the antechamber was a good sized pool of the yellow liquid. It had congealed in the deepest part of the cave floor. Laura couldn’t see the bottom without using her super vision. The yellow minerals bubbled up from beneath the floor just as Tim had predicted.

A leak or spring from far deeper beneath Crater Lake? Laura guessed. This chamber also had a number of strange symbols carved into the walls at seemingly random intervals. She reached down gingerly into the edge of the mineral pool and came up with a roughly fist sized yellow rock.

Instantly, Laura felt a surge of energy, like if she’d had too much sugar or caffeine. The rush seemed to command her full attention. Hmm...I wonder...? Laura experimented by crushing a much larger yellow rock, crumpling it like a piece of paper. She repeated the experiment on a clear, normal looking gray rock, with much the same result. Fear, excitement, and a bit of relief washed over her.

I’m no genetic freak! She surmised. The mineral rocks had somehow caused the effects! That still didn’t explain exactly what happened, or how long the effects would last. She made her way back towards the cave entrance where she’d first seen the mysterious symbols.

She again let her flashlight beam play over them. It was no use, to her the symbols were still unrecognizable. It could have been written in Egyptian Hieroglyphics for all she knew. Tim would know, he always does. Laura thought as she flipped open her digital camera cell phone.

She called her young genius friend. "Hey Tim, this is Laura." The science student was engrossed in yet another web researching venture. "Thee Laura Lake? Spelunker extra ordinaire? The Lara Croft of Falcon Claw?" He asked sarcastically. "You’re calling me? What happened? Did you break a nail?"

Laura sighed before answering. "Funny, Tim! Give me some credit, will ya?" She responded before shining the flashlight beam on the first of the unusual drawings. "I found some cave symbols. They only appear after being illuminated. Observe." Laura pointed her camera phone at the drawings.

As if on cue, the symbols were bathed in a greenish glow. She popped the flashlight off, and they disappeared. Flipping the light on them again caused their reappearance. "Voila!" Laura remarked proudly. "I’ll just bet that no one ever bothered to read them before, assuming they could be read."

Tim squinted to see the illuminated patterns. "Nice! Nice!" He commented as he studied them. "What’s it say?" Laura shrugged off the question. "I have no idea. You’re the brains of the operation." She quipped. "Me explorer, you scientist." Tim laughed loudly. "I’m going to record this."

"We’ll enlarge the images and study them later." Tim said excitedly as Laura slowly played the kryptonite beams over the indentations. "The patterns do seem to have some uniformity." Tim added. Laura nodded. "I’ll bet that they’re some ancient Native American language that no one knows."

"Laura, you’re a genius!" Tim playfully praised. "Hardly." She chuckled. "It’s probably Native American graffiti that says ‘Palefaces Suck!" Tim grinned thinly. "Okay, I’ve set up the DVD to store the info. Just walk slowly along the wall shining the beam on them. Good." Laura did as instructed.

She made her way along the edge of the rocky path. "This is way cool!" Tim yelled. "Really? You haven’t seen anything yet." Laura stated as she examined one of the walls. "Wait! Stop!" Tim ordered and Laura froze in her tracks. "What?" Tim’s eyes narrowed. "Back up a bit."

Laura complied. "That’s the first symbol that I could actually recognize." Tim explained. "The two-headed dragon." Laura stepped back to catch the full image. "Dragon?" She questioned. "I thought that was only found in Asian cultures and Dungeons and Dragons for Geeks 101." She snidely remarked.

"I haven’t seen any of the more common Native American symbols like ‘Water’ ‘Sun’ ‘Moon’ and the like. At least that’s what Mr. Hargrove taught in American History class." Tim informed her.

"One of them probably saw a mutated iguana or something." Laura downplayed the figure's significance. "True." Tim reluctantly agreed.

“Dragons and other winged animals were common hieroglyphs in the Southwestern United States, Mexico, and Central and South American cultures. Some examples would be the Aztecs, Inca, and Mayans.” Tim continued, much to Laura’s chagrin.

“They tended to worship the symbols as their deities.” Laura couldn’t resist. “Oh no! Beware the iguana god!” She laughed. “I bet they sacrificed virgins, too!” Tim flashed a smile of false bravado.

“That wouldn’t have anything to do with me.” He joked. “That would most likely be your problem, Laura.” She loved teasing her geeky school friend. “Yeah right!” “They certainly would’ve sacrificed a young minx like you to their Iguana God!”

Tim quipped. Laura snickered. “What if they made me their queen instead?” She playfully challenged. “Have you ever seen writings like these, before?” Laura asked as she moved on.
                Tim moved in closer to view the images on screen. “Not really. I’ll have to look them up in the Native American databases, though.” He replied. “Check the wall behind you.” Laura swiveled around, and sure enough there were more cave drawings.

Some were written in the nearly invisible green kryptonite color, and others were inscribed the more common black color.

“Those look a little more familiar.” Tim assessed. “There are the symbols for water, bison, hunt, moon, and sun.” Laura pointed the camera to each. “Maybe their writing style changed over the years.” She speculated. Tim’s voice rose with excitement.

“We may be looking at the evolution of a new Native American language, Laura. Think about it. No one has likely ever seen these hidden symbols before.” Laura nodded. “Do ya think I’ll get extra credit grades for Sociology this year?” She quipped.

“I wouldn’t doubt it.” Tim grinned. Laura had reached the end of the passageway. She was about to put the phone away when she caught a glimpse of more greenish writings partially hidden behind a large stalagmite. “Tim! Check this out!” She waved the camera phone at them.

“What? Did you find the Great Iguana God? I bet he’s got a nice big tongue just for you!” He taunted. “Dude, you’re sick!” Laura laughed. “No, see for yourself.” The images were carved into the wall in a perfect circle.

Laura aimed the flashlight in a wide beam. A second ring was built within the first, and several figures were inscribed between them. Each section contained unique characters. “Whoa! That’s pretty high tech for a bunch of iguana worshipping aborigines!” Tim said as he admired the carvings.

None of these symbols looked familiar either. “Maybe it’s related to the Aztec Calendar.” He speculated. Laura steadied the camera phone so Tim could get a nice clean shot of it. “Do you think we’ll be rich?” She asked hopefully. “Probably not,” He added.

“Even the best geologists, archaeologists, and linguists only make decent money. Certainly not like in the technology sector.” Laura was disappointed. “We can’t all be techno-geeks like you, buddy.” She said. “Though it beats working on the farm in this half-ass backwards one cow town for the rest of my natural life.”

“If we combine our forces young Pad Wan, we could create a techno-agricultural farm complete with hybrid crops, low cost labor, and mad-cow disease free livestock.” Tim quipped. “It is to dream.” Laura joked. “Can we hire some flunkies to shovel out the barn and corral, so I don’t have to do it?” She snickered.

“Whatever you desire my cow-pie pitching princess.” Tim shamelessly flirted.

"'kay. Have you got the shot recorded?" Laura asked. "Yes." Tim confirmed. "And now for something completely different." She teased, placing the camera phone atop a flat rock nearby. "Nothing up my sleeve..."

Laura grabbed a softball size boulder with one hand and a good-sized rock filled with the yellow mineral with the other. "You see before you two average looking rocks." She added. "Observe." Laura smashed the two rocks into each other.

Immediately they turned to dust with the force of the impact. "Whoa!" Tim exclaimed as he nearly fell out of his chair. "See? Freak of nature." Laura sighed with disdain. "You need to gather those samples and get back here!" Tim gasped.

"I'll need to run some tests on the rocks, the minerals, and you." He directed. "Will do, Dr. Frankenstein." Laura said and snapped off her cell phone. She also took a few moments to grab some still photo shots of the more intricate drawings.

Before she left, Laura traced the yellowish water to its alleged source, the deep pool near the back of the cavern. She proceeded to scrape some of the dried mineral into a test tube, collect some of the liquid version, and pack it all away for Tim's study.

The yellowish mineral deposits led to a crack in the cave wall about two feet above the cavern's steep gradient. It poured in like a faucet, presumably from beneath Crater Lake. Laura washed her hands in the fresh yellow water.

She headed back out of the caves with the samples. Suddenly, Laura felt a burst of energy, like she was amped up on caffeine. She imagined herself to be indestructible. Laura was normally an average dirt bike rider.

She'd only been riding for a few months, since spring began. Laura loaded her things onto the back of the motorbike and tied them securely to the seat storage area. Laura hopped onto the bike and peeled out, her eyes had gone completely yellow.

She plowed through some flatlands at the bike's top speed, and tore through a nearby mud bog. Laura began to do tricks with the bike. She zipped up a mogul and backflipped the bike onto a well worn trail.

Laura sped down one trail and up the next without any regard for safety. On a slope she hit a bad angle and was thrown off the bike at full speed. The teen was now airborne, and solidly crashed through a tree, severing it in half!

The bike slid into a deep bog and stalled out. Laura finally landed several yards away, face first against a rock outcropping. The rock split, dividing evenly in two! She lay atop a series of bramble bushes, which shredded her clothes.

“Whoa! Wipeout!” Laura joked as she sat up. The scrappy teen hadn’t a scratch on her! “What a rush!” Within seconds she stood and walked back toward her slowly sinking motorbike. Her gear had flown over the handlebars and into a thicket.

She hoped that the test tubes, mineral samples, and rock comparisons were still intact. Laura stepped into the mud bog and lifted the bike out with one hand, lofting it carefully back onto the smooth trail.

Power! I’ve acquired super power! Laura thought, on a major ego trip. The bike’s engine was filled with muck. It wouldn’t be starting anytime soon. No problem! She held the bike up with one hand and gathered her things with the other. They were still secured in her backpack.

Laura zipped home at hyper speed. Luckily the samples hadn’t been disturbed as she examined them back at her Aunt Wanda’s farm. She considered the entire afternoon. The horrendous crash would have killed a normal person, she rationalized. Her heart seemed to beat twice as fast as she remembered the impact.

Maybe I overdosed on the mineral rocks? She silently speculated. It’s obvious that they have an effect on me. The accident felt more like a bump. She’d barely noticed it at all. After a speedy shower and whirlwind change of clothes, Laura called Tim.

“Dude, you’re not gonna believe this!” Laura began excitedly after Tim answered her call. “You discovered a Wooly Mammoth encased in ice at the back of the cave and brought it back to life?” Tim’s voice dripped with sarcasm. “No, butthead!” Laura snapped.

“The yellow minerals seemed to amp me up!” Laura still sounded too hyper. “I stuck my hands in the pool of yellow water and…” Tim interrupted her. “And you discovered an ancient sewer system?” He couldn’t resist the temptation to tease her. “Ew!” Laura wrinkled her nose. “And Ew again!”

“The yellow minerals soaked into my skin and turned me into some kind of superhero!” Laura could barely contain her excitement. At first Tim was silent. “Get out!” He scoffed. “You’ve been watching too many Saturday morning cartoons.” She quickly explained what had happened.

Laura had mentioned that before she’d left the caves, she’d felt indestructible. “I’m just reaching Laura…” He speculated. “But what if it’s a type of performance enhancing drug?” Laura was understandably skeptical. “Buried in a cave in the middle of nowhere?”

Tim’s brow wrinkled. “It could have been a type of illegal chemical dump.” Laura considered that. “Nope, remember the stories of the Tekamah Indians? They discovered the caves and considered them ‘bad medicine’ or cursed by dark spirits.” She recalled the event for the teen genius.

“Yes.” Tim confirmed. “That would’ve been several centuries before any drug experimentation took place, illegal or otherwise. Let’s backtrack. What kinds of abilities do you use consistently?” Laura ticked off the bizarre elements on her long thin fingers.

“Superior strength, hyper speed, setting fires with my eyes, immediate healing, seeing through solid objects, and now virtual indestructibility.” She responded. Tim reflected thoughtfully. “It still sounds like genetic manipulation but by whom, how, and why?”

“Losing me, wonder boy.” Laura was growing frustrated. “A singer’s voice can be trained, but they had to have some degree of genetic talent to begin with.” Tim added, “Unlike American Idol!” Laura still felt jittery. “You mean the mineral rocks may have nothing to do with it?”

“I can’t prove anything without further evidence and experimentation.” Tim explained. “The opposite can also be true…that you’re infected by the minerals and it’s ramping up your genetic code.” He postulated. “Like an amplifier for an electric guitar?” Laura decided that made the most sense.

“Exact-amundo, my sweet!” Tim flirted. “How can we be sure one way or the other?” Laura asked in passing. “We can’t. For all we know, you’ll wake up tomorrow morning and this will all be gone.”

“Well, the good news is that I feel tired.” Laura yawned to emphasize her point. “That could mean that the mineral’s effects are limited.” Tim stretched. “That is good news! Tomorrow you’ll zip by and drop off the samples, correct?” Laura nodded as her eyelids felt heavy. “See you then.”

After they hung up, Tim began preliminary research, and Laura dropped right off to sleep. The next morning she thought that she was back to her old self. Laura felt refreshed and unusually happy. She even started humming one of those sappy love songs that she’d always hated to listen to.

Laura spun in and out of the shower, dressed, and set the kitchen table for breakfast, all before Aunt Wanda had awakened. The hyper speed power was still there. Laura was a bit disappointed that things hadn’t truly gone back to normal. Maybe this is a mixed blessing, she pondered.

Saturday, after breakfast, Laura called Tim. She knew that the boy genius was already awake and pounding info into his computer. How could I face mundane Falcon Claw High classes Monday morning, knowing that I’m some type of mutant super hero? She silently went over the last few days.

“Hi Tim!” She greeted him ecstatically. “Are you ready for the sample testing?” Tim confirmed that the desktop computer and his laptop were both ready to go. He’d already had some programs running overnight to determine if there were any instances of unnatural abilities posted on websites.

He’d been amazed at the volume of incidents the various searches had recovered. He’d put the whole database on a number of backup discs. The young boy was obsessed with gathering information. He’d only slept for a few hours. Laura informed him that she’d be over shortly.

Outside, Laura had completed all of her chores, and was busy speeding around the farm hopefully using up some excess energy. The teen beauty hadn’t yet broken a sweat. On a whim, Laura glanced around and then jumped skyward…rising above the grassy field a good twenty feet!

“Wow!” Laura yelled and spun around in a circle, creating a minor dust storm. The sand, soil, and pebbles quickly rotated away and settled a good distance from her. On a major power trip, young Laura ran at hyper speed and leapt towards Aunt Wanda’s barn.

She soared higher and higher, landing atop the grain silo’s apex! “This is so cool!”

Laura gazed out over the greenish amber farm fields, enjoying the mid-morning sunshine. I’d better get going…either this will be a disaster or a new experiment she thought and jumped from the top of the grain silo.

Laura spread her arms like birds’ wings and sailed above the tree line, some low foliage, past the horse corral, across the gravel access road and dove into her Aunt Wanda’s backyard. She landed in a heap of mud, shoulder first, somersaulting to a stop. Got to work on those landings, girl…

She was silently quite proud of herself. One day, I’ll master the power of flight. Laura zipped back into her room for another quick change before starting out for Tim’s house. She opted to use her hyper speed for the time being. Moments later she was at his door, samples in hand.

“Hi Tim!” Laura couldn’t contain her excitement. “Guess what I did this morning?” He ushered her into the lower level den where his computer system was ready to go. “You won the lotto?” Tim asked sarcastically. “Nope, I flew.” Laura stated, calmly waiting for that to sink in.

Tim’s supercharged mind went blank. Silence. “Flew? As in ‘flew like a bird?” He realized what she had related. Laura laughed. “Exactly. My form was closer to an albatross than a swan. My landings need work.” Tim’s eyes widened. “Flying? Defying gravity? That’s so not normal.”

“Do ya think?” Laura sounded petulant. “My surprising supernatural abilities just keep on coming.” She gave him a few more details. “Okay, well, how did you sleep?” Tim was analyzing something on his laptop. “Fine, I guess, though I had a couple of nightmares.” Laura admitted.

Suddenly, Laura’s x-ray eyesight kicked in, and she saw right through Tim. Immediately she closed her eyes and opened them, therefore eliminating the unsettling vision. I have to learn to control my abilities, she rationalized. “Let’s have a look at the cave drawings…” She changed the subject.

“Here are your samples, Tim.” She handed him the backpack. “Great! I’ll get my chemistry set to start analyzing them.” He bolted to the basement, leaving Laura alone with her thoughts. She concentrated on the complex set of problems that these changes brought.

Tim set up a number of chemical tests for the yellow mineral, and returned after a bit to Laura, who had already pulled up the cave drawings DVD on the laptop. She’d also been absently scribbling some figures on a nearby pad of paper. “Laura!” He shouted. “What? Gawd! I’m right here!”

“Your hair…” Tim began with an open mouth. “Yeah? What about it?” Laura asked warily. “It’s gone blonde!” He gasped. “Blonde? I don’t understand. I never color my hair!” Laura added. “I’m supposed to be naturally brown to black-haired.”

“If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say that your genetic code and possibly your adolescent hormones are in flux.” Tim stared as Laura’s eyes flashed from blue to green and back again. “Oh crap!” She exclaimed. “Don’t stare!” Tim courteously glanced away. Laura’s coloring returned to normal.

“What are you doodling?” He returned his attention back to her. Page after page of cave symbols crossed his laptop’s screen. “Nothing! Why?” Laura looked down to find that she’d written a series of the cave’s walls symbols in a specific pattern akin to a paragraph.

“Yikes! I wasn’t even paying that much attention to the cave drawings.” She defended as Tim examined her steno pad and cross referenced the writings with it from the laptop photos. “Laura! What you wrote is a continuation of the wall drawing patterns!”

Laura was starting to freak out again. The computer beeped indicating that its search of Native American databases had ended. The system had found no exact matches in its archives. Tim double-checked Laura’s scribbling and the computer’s analyses.

“This language is totally unique!” He stated with confidence. “Really?” Laura was amazed. “Then, it’s a significant historical find?” Tim eyed the steno page again and frowned. “Yes! Laura, what does this say?” He circled a group of symbols with a pen. “How should I know?” She whined.

Laura’s eyes briefly flashed a bright golden yellow as she read the steno pad. “It says something about a great fire in the sky…turning night into day.” She parroted as if detached from the whole situation. “A warrior had fallen to Mother Earth…” She shook her head. “What the…?”

“You can read this language!” Tim accused. Laura dismissed him with a wave of her hand. “No! No, I can’t!” She protested as her eyes flashed once again. “The daughter of the first house shall rule with an iron fist!” Laura seemed to be discussing this from a distance. “Now, you’re scaring me.”

Tim involuntarily shivered. “De-Nile ain’t just a river in Egypt, my dear!” Laura’s eyes returned to normal. “How can I read this language? I can’t even speak Spanish properly and I’m halfway through the semester.” She admitted with confusion. “Read some more.” Tim directed her.

Laura forced herself to concentrate on the symbols both on her steno pad and the laptop. “The sins of the father will be revealed…” She muttered. “The chosen one will take her place in the skies on the back of an eagle...justice will be meted out. What the hell does all that mean?” She grumbled.

Tim shrugged. “The part about turning night into day probably refers to the comet which crashed to Earth and created Crater Lake. But the phrase ‘justice will be meted out’ doesn’t sound like anything an uneducated Native American would say.” Laura sighed. “Maybe the writings are all fake?”

“Possibly…” Tim wasn’t convinced. “Which gives us a new set of problems like who wrote them, and why. It sounds like a group of Nostradamus’s ominous predictions. I’m more interested in how you learned to read this language, real or not, with virtual immediacy.”

“I couldn’t read them before I’d crashed.” Laura reminded him. “There have been instances of changes in behavior caused by a sharp blow to the head, or getting struck by lightning.” Tim recalled. “Sometimes, skydivers claim to have had their hearing restored or asthma cured after jumping.”

“That doesn’t seem to apply here. These instances are extremely rare.” He concluded and sat down next to his mutant friend. “I told you that I’m a freak show!” Laura said with disgust. “Now what?”

Tim was puzzled. “Keep reading the symbols. Maybe they hold an answer.”

“I’ll type it all up after we’ve finished and analyze what we have.” He offered. Laura translated as much of the writings as she could within a couple of hours. She still hadn’t deciphered the main collections of characters within the twin circles.

They seemed to have a different pattern, as if a new author had written them. “What do we have, Tim-ster?” Laura asked after she grew tired of reading the endless symbols. Tim stared at the printouts. “There are about a hundred or so phrases, warnings, and descriptions that I’ve logged.”

“What about the encircled ones?” Laura was still frustrated by the mysterious writings. “I’m not sure. Maybe they’re a different form of communication, like mathematics or musical notes.” He replied hesitantly. “One thing that’s certain…the stories are about you!” Tim dropped the bomb on her.

“What?” Laura gasped.
                Last edited by gardy1; 08-29-2009, 08:55 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing - Topaz

Topaz Chapter 5

After Tim’s revelations about his theory that Laura was the subject of the mysterious writings on the walls of the Tekamah caves, she was more unnerved than ever. Was it a coincidence? Sundays were usually slow in the sleepy farming town of Falcon Claw. Most folks were either at services or resting.

Laura continued to practice her new abilities, though she was careful to hide them from the world, including her Aunt Wanda, her next door neighbor, Mike Trent, and her only female friend, Shana Springbrook. She dared only to share her unique powers with Tim Servo.

Laura leapt from the top of the barn, gliding easily the hundred or so yards between her and the back porch of Aunt Wanda’s ranch house. Crows scattered and squawked with the new perceived threat to their nests and food sources. Cattle watched passively from the nearby grazing land.

After exercising her varying abilities, Laura called Tim and invited herself over to the Servo’s modest townhome on the other side of Falcon Claw. She switched into hyper speed and again the world seemed to be moving in slow motion. She dashed through acre after acre of lush farmland.

It was nearly dusk by the time Laura knocked on Tim’s door, though it only taken her a few moments to traverse the route normally an hour from Aunt Wanda’s farm by car. Tim had been a loyal friend to Laura since they began classes at Falcon Claw High School.

“Hey Tim! Put down your PDA and answer the door!” She taunted, yelling playfully through the back door’s screen. The slim geeky teen was glad to see his unusually talented friend. He had mousy brown hair usually slicked back, dark brown eyes, and a gaunt face.

Tim removed his thick, wire framed glasses and looked over Laura from head to toe. He promptly invited Laura inside. The sixteen year old boy genius made no secret of his infatuation with Laura, even before he found out about her unusual abilities.

At the moment, Laura sported long fluffy brown hair, blue-green eyes, a thin face with high cheekbones, a well proportioned slim muscular frame, and was about a full head taller than Tim.

Laura had developed a chameleon-like ability to change her physical appearance.

Over the weekend, she’d gone full circle from light brown to blonde to raven black colored hair, and only this morning had it returned to its more common dark brown hue. Her Aunt Wanda just assumed that it was some type of teen girl faze. Laura hoped that she’d keep that opinion.

It was clear that Tim had something on his immense mind, as he quickly guided Laura downstairs to the family rec-room, presumably out of his relatives’ earshot. “What’s new professor?” Laura began warily. “I checked the chemical element diagnosis program this morning and…” He started.

Tim silenced. A door upstairs slammed shut. “And what?” Laura prompted. “I was waiting for my parents to leave… the analysis shows that the yellow mineral does not exist in nature, at least not our nature.” He paused purposefully to let that sink in. “Then it is a new element!” Laura was excited.

“Yes. It doesn’t belong…here on Earth.” Tim hedged. Laura’s mouth was agape. “It’s from outer space?” She beckoned him for further explanation. “Most likely…yes. I hypothesize that it landed on Earth over three thousand years ago. It’s logical to assume that the mineral was within the comet that created Crater Lake.”

“It mixed with Earth’s natural elements and created a new matrix.” Tim took a deep breath before continuing. “Laura…this element…if it’s within your body is unnatural.” Laura grew silent. “Hence the super charged capabilities and skills.” Tim added as he cleared his throat.

Tim uncovered his mineral samples and Laura examined them. “It now has a translucent topaz color.” He explained. “I removed as many impurities as I could with my limited chemistry set.” Laura picked up the gem-like rock and gazed through it with her x-ray vision. She felt the power pulse through her.

Immediately, she shoved it back into the glass jar which had encased it. Even the jar took on a bright yellow tint. “It’s pretty.” Laura remarked, though her blood began to run cold. Tim stood stoically alongside his mutant friend. “Maybe you’d better sit down for this next story.” He urged.

“What?” She sat down in the comfortable futon and gazed up at the teen genius. “If my theory holds true…the mineral is reorganizing your DNA.” Tim said devoid of emotion. “You mean like a poison?” Laura asked as she neared tears. “No, more like a genetic vitamin.” Tim continued.

“To be honest with you, I’m not yet qualified to determine the risks.” He sighed. “I think that if the element has been in your system for the last ten years, and was hazardous, you’d already be dead.” Laura put her head in her hands. “There’s a cheery thought, Tim.”

“I can only speculate, but I think the mineral takes your innate abilities and boosts them, like your guitar amplifier analogy. I can call in some favors from my Aunt who works at the Biology Lab in Grandville, but I have to keep any knowledge of where it came from a secret.”

“I’ll need a blood sample, a DNA scrape, and uh… urine sample from you.” Tim reddened. “Ew gross!” Laura yelled. “I’m not thrilled about that prospect either, my mutant friend, but it’s all in the name of Science. We dare not trust the exam to a common doctor.”

“My fear of you becoming a lab rat would ring true.” Tim stated honestly. “I understand.” Laura took a deep breath. Her lungs seemed to suddenly hold incredible strength. Tim reached over and plucked another large brownish red hair from Laura’s head. “Ow!” She rubbed the spot. “DNA sample.” Tim joked.

He dropped Laura’s hair follicle into a clean, unmarked test tube. “I guess I’ll have to bring the…um…required items over tomorrow.” Laura shook her head. “I also suspect that an ordinary syringe needle will not penetrate that thick skin of yours.” Tim pointed out.

“What’re you tryin’ to say?” Laura teased. “You’ll have to take your own blood sample, needle and all.” He menaced. “No way! My Aunt Wanda already thinks I’m a nut job. That’s all I need is to have her catch me messing around with a needle. We’ll have to do without it.”

“What should we name our new mineral?” Laura swiftly changed the subject. “It’s up to you super girl. You discovered it.” Tim said, throwing his hands up in resignation. “Okay, I’ll allow myself the ego trip…let’s call it Loracite.” She decided. “Sounds like a plan.” Tim agreed.

“Hereafter, this element shall be named Loracite, Matrix Prime.” Tim pronounced in a silly deep voice. Laura managed a snicker despite the depressing situation. “I believe that the Loracite is densely packing your DNA, like a body builder packs on muscular weight.”

Laura listened carefully. “I think that since your DNA has likely been rearranged, you were able to survive the Motocross bike accident without a scratch, and could probably fall from a seven story building to the pavement, remaining uninjured, though I wouldn’t suggest trying that.”

“Laura, this genetic change may be irreversible.” Tim added. She absorbed the impact of the news. “Okay, then I’m a permanent freak?” Tim nodded. “Possibly, again, I’m just speculating. All of the testing may bear this out.” Tim considered.

“There’s also the possibility that you must somehow consume the Loracite, like nourishment, to survive. My hope is that there’s a good amount of the mineral to be mined and stored.” Tim began pacing again, as he did every time that he was in significant thought.

Laura didn’t find this change very amusing. “If not…?” She voiced the obvious. “If not, you may lose your abilities’ effectiveness…or you may die.” He replied darkly. “Terrific.” Laura grumbled.

“I don’t know, Tim.” Laura ran some scenarios through her head. “I have never ‘ingested’ the Loracite.” She reported. “I assume that I came into contact with the mineral when I was a child at the Tekamah Caves. Every time I touch the stuff, I seem to get a power boost, like a major adrenaline rush.”

“Why doesn’t anyone else have this problem?” Laura tried not to sound petulant. “I mean the creek, and the cave spring are right there out in the open for anyone to drink, swim in, or wash in. Why aren’t there any super powered animals near the creek or any super fish within it?”

“I don’t have any answers, only questions.” Tim stated with frustration. “We also don’t know that there haven't been any cases of mutation around here. I assume that they’d keep their abilities a secret, like you are. That reminds me…feast your lovely eyes on this.” He handed her a DVD disc.

Laura put the DVD into the laptop and called up the data. “Wow!” Laura quickly read through the major headlines on the down-loads. “Over two hundred reports of beings with ‘unusual’ or ‘supernatural’ powers, right in the middle of Kansas?”

Tim nodded. “Kansas appears to be the epicenter. However, we have no reports of this magnitude here in Nebraska.” Laura read through some of the more unusual occurrences. “Boy starts fires with his eyes.” She said aloud. “Girl claims she can walk through walls, and transport through any solid object.” Laura glanced at Tim.

“This is unbelievable.” Laura commented. “Are you sure these reports are credible?” Tim glanced at a few over Laura’s slim shoulder. “It’s hard to say. The Internet isn’t monitored very well for accuracy. I figure that there are enough strange reports out there, from people that couldn’t possibly know one another that something had to be going on over there.”

“A majority of them are in central Kansas.” Laura observed. “Maybe I ought to take a run out there…or a flight.” Her big blue eyes twinkled. “A flight?” Tim echoed. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you. A girl that defies gravity would raise more than a few eyebrows.”

“I mean people just don’t fly…” He added. “No kidding, Sherlock!” Laura teased. “Observe.” She made sure that Tim’s parents hadn’t returned by gazing through the walls and ceiling. Laura extended her arms outward from her side and closed her eyes in concentration.

Within seconds, Laura floated vertically about a foot above the basement carpet. Tim’s eyes widened. She drifted to around a yard high, ducking her head beneath the ceiling tiles. She suddenly went horizontal, opened her eyes and literally flew, encircling Tim, and changing positions often.

Tim’s jaw dropped. “Holy crap!” Laura landed softly on the plush carpeting. “When did this begin, again?” He inquired. “Last week. I jumped across a ravine just to see if I could do it.” She explained. “At night, I’ve been practicing flight around Aunt Wanda’s farm.”

“I crash landed in a meadow, and tore up a good pair of jeans, but other than that, I’m fine.” Laura continued. Tim ran his hand through his slicked back hair. “This is nuts!” Laura nodded. “Tell me about it! There goes my chance to lead a normal life, which brings me to my next point…”

“Since I’ve presumably been infected by the Loracite, and this change may be permanent, I’ve been concealing these bizarre abilities…lying to almost everyone…and hiding like a leper.” Laura complained. “Next year, when I turn eighteen, I want to ‘come out’.”

“You want to what?” Tim was horrified. “I want to use my powers to change the world!” She stated boldly, and repeated her answer with conviction. “Change the world…or take it over?” Tim prodded. He always seemed to know what buttons to push to aggravate her.

“Oh pu-lease!” Laura defended. “I’m not that shallow!” Tim began his lecture. “That raises all types of scenarios.” Laura resumed her seat on the futon. “Such as?” She baited. “The moral and physical ramifications are staggering.” Tim’s voice rose with alarm. “The implications are immense.”

Laura sighed. “That’s not much of a pep talk, coach.” She commented dryly. “Laura, uneducated cultures may consider you a god!” He argued. “That would be a goddess, chief!” She snapped, adding: “I’m not religious at all. Why would I want to impersonate someone’s deity?”

Tim started pacing back and forth. Laura wasn’t getting it. “Let’s say I went back to the caveman days, and showed some indigenous life forms a cell phone, cigarette lighter, and flashlight. The cavemen would consider me a god.” He animatedly explained.

“They would either worship me, or attempt to kill me out of fear. So it would be with you in today’s society. Governments would want to coerce you to do their bidding or else.” Tim concluded. “Or else what?” She asked with irritation. “They can’t make me do anything that I don’t want to do.”

“What about your friends and family?” Tim pointed out. “They can’t defend themselves against a shadow government or even our legitimate one.” Laura frowned. “I’d sue them at the very least for threatening me or my friends and family.” Tim groaned. “You just don’t grasp the concept.”

“Let me put it another way.” Tim debated. “As an American citizen, the President of the United States instructs you to assassinate a foreign dictator, what do you do? Tell him or her to shove it?” Laura folded her arms across her ample chest. “Of course I’d say no.”

“Great. Since you don’t want to play ball, the President passes a law forbidding you to use your powers on American soil. Then what? Do you defy the law? Move to another country?” Tim challenged. “You sure know how to take the fun out of something.” Laura grumbled.

Tim settled down and stopped pacing. “If I wanted to defy the law, who could stop me?” Laura said indignantly. “Exactly my point, anyone with power could use your friends and family as hostages against you, forcing you into doing their bidding.”

Laura’s raven black hair suddenly changed to a reddish blonde, with bright yellow edges or streaks. Tim’s eyes widened. “What?” She narrowed her eyes. “Your countenance has changed appearance again.” Tim responded. “Swell!” Laura frowned. “I don’t even know how to dress anymore.”

Laura’s face suddenly brightened, as she sped over to the full length mirror on the door of the basement bathroom. “That’s it!” She happily raced back to the futon, scattering Tim’s research papers across the rear half of the room. “Hey now!” Tim complained. “What’s it?”

Laura grabbed a dark blanket from the futon’s back, and wrapped it around her head and shoulders, playfully hiding her thin face from view. “Meet Gold Wing!” She exclaimed excitedly. “Huh? You want to run that by me again?” Tim was puzzled. “I’ll assume a secret identity!” She laughed.

“Can you do it? Can you live a double life?” He questioned. “Why not? People do it all the time. Think of any good FBI agent, he or she would have to appear normal to divert suspicion. To that point, so do actors and actresses.” Laura rationalized. Tim was finally amused.

“Or even people that cheat on their spouses or have criminal records.” He grilled. “Must you be so negative?” Laura whipped the blanket around like a bullfighter. “I’m already living a double life. I’ve chosen to hide my abilities from Aunt Wanda and almost everybody else.”

“Laura Lake is a normal dorky teenage girl…Gold Wing is a superhero!” She stated with conviction. “Why name yourself after a motorcycle, I wonder?” Tim inquired. “Well, whatever! You get my point!” Laura countered. “You make it sound simple.” Tim argued.

“Maybe I should think globally.” Laura brainstormed. “What if I could stop a war? How about ending starvation in Africa, and throughout the world? The possibilities seem endless.” Tim considered all that. “There’s no question that you have the drive and motivation to become a superhero.”

“Yet you must also have power.” Tim explained. Laura felt as if her eyes were glazing over. “Tell me more, Obi Wan.” She joked. Tim smirked. “Two things make the world go ‘round. Money and influence translate to true power. You have neither.” Laura thought about that carefully.

“Okay, point taken.” Laura said. “There must be something that I can do.” Tim plopped down in a green bean bag chair across from Laura. “We don’t even know the extent of your abilities. What if you managed to involve yourself in a situation that you couldn’t get out of?”

“Give me an example.” Laura encouraged as she deftly back-flipped over the couch and landed squarely on the floor beside Tim. “You have a hostage situation.” Tim began. “The terrorists threaten to kill one hostage an hour until their demands are met. You could do what, exactly?”

Laura’s big bluish eyes suddenly narrowed. “I’d go barreling into the area and use my super speed to rescue the captives, then double back to take out the terrorists.” Tim rubbed his thin chin. “Good. What if they shoot two hostages before you could rescue the others? Can you live with that?”

Laura grimaced. “Did I save, say the other eight?” Tim nodded. “Sure. Now the families of the dead hostages sue you because you didn’t save them instead. It’s a catch twenty-two. You’re a hero and a goat.” Laura wrinkled her nose. “I’ll just have to save all of them, then.”

Tim continued the mental exercise. “What if you simply ‘took out’ the hostage takers?” Laura hopped up onto her feet again. “You mean kill them?” Tim again nodded. “Can you kill another human being, no matter how evil?” Laura sighed.

“You’re right. This is complicated. I shouldn’t kill them…unless they left me no choice.” Tim grinned. “Good answer. One would hope that there would always be a choice. If there’s not, you have to accept the consequences.”

Crafting a young superhero is hard work, Tim silently noted as he crossed his thin arms. “Well, what about ending wars, destroying weapons, and alleviating starvation?” Laura continued to address her new possible life. “Those are all laudable goals.” He remarked.

“Let’s say you could zip or fly around the world gathering food for the starving wretches in Africa. Who would foot the bill? Would you play Robin Hood and take from the rich to give to the poor?” Tim grilled her. Laura appeared to be quite puzzled. “Through donations?” She guessed.

“Maybe I could create a ‘Save the World’ website?” She joked. Tim smiled. “Intriguing. I like that idea. If you achieve celebrity status, you could always make personal appearances for charity.”

There was no stopping Laura now. “See? Now we’re thinking outside the box.” “Hmmm! How do I stop wars?” She asked rhetorically. “You could personally invade every country and confiscate their weapons.” Tim was perplexed. “You’d have to disavow any ties to America.” Laura whistled. “Revoke my citizenship? I don’t like that idea. There must be another way.”

“Why don’t you start small, like fighting local crime?” Tim suggested. Laura’s eyes widened. “There isn’t enough true crime in Falcon Claw to fight. It would take me all of five minutes to catch any drug dealers, thieves, perverts, gang-bangers, corrupt cops or cheating spouses.”

Tim nodded. “That’s not exactly the best use of a superhero’s time.” He added. “There are always the natural disasters that plague the Midwest. You know, twisters, fires, floods, blizzards, the rare earthquake or the ubiquitous meteor showers.” Laura brushed her long hair away from her eyes.

Tim gaped as Laura’s appearance frequently alternated colors. Her hair switched from raven black to canary yellow follicles, and then her pupils bounced between blue, green, and brown hues. “What?” Laura noticed his vacant stare. “That’s very unsettling.” He said wistfully. “Whatever!” She snapped her fingers.

Suddenly Laura was all smiles again. “Which reminds me…” She flashed him a lopsided grin. “If I’m going to be a superhero with a secret identity, I’m going to need a disguise, or some kind of costume.” Tim groaned. “I hear a power shopping spree coming on!”

“You betcha!” Laura chimed in. “I’m thinking of a nice black leather jacket, matching black leather pants, a slinky low cut blouse, black biker boots, and of course, some bling!” She added. “For geeky Laura Lake, I’ll dress normally, and maybe add those tacky cat glasses for show.”

“I’ll let you figure that part of the equation out.” Tim rolled his eyes. “We need to test your limits, though, or you’ll be one dead superhero!”

continued
                  Last edited by gardy1; 08-29-2009, 08:56 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

I love it!!!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing cont'd

PG 13 Language / Violence / Nothing too bad.

Golden Prophecy: chapter 6

Laura returned later in the day, knocking on Tim Servo’s door. The self-proclaimed geek answered. “Trick or treat!” Laura joshed. The teen superhero was sporting her new ‘Gold Wing’ outfit. Laura had a new fluffier hairstyle, raven black with golden yellow highlights.

She donned a sharp leather jacket, tight leather pants which ended in a minor cuff halfway down her shins, shiny black leather heeled boots, and a midriff baring bright yellow, cropped, low cut, tee shirt. The capper was her cheesy black mask, which looked like it belonged in a Mardi Gras parade.

“Behold! Gold Wing!” She smirked as Tim invited her in. “Uh, Laura, it’s only late August, a bit early for Halloween isn’t it?” She frowned. “Oh, take the stick out, Tim-Ster. And you wonder why you can’t find a homecoming date.”

“Ouch! A thrust to the heart, dear Laura.” Tim countered. Laura put her hands on her shapely hips. “Don’t be such a drama queen. What do you think? I’m ready to save the world!” Laura did a playful ‘runway model’ walk for him, twisting suggestively. “Isn’t it too hot for leather?” Tim asked.

“It better be ‘hot’ at the prices I paid for this getup.” Laura gibed. She slipped off her leather jacket, and flipped it over her bare shoulder, purposely exaggerating the movement. This revealed ample cleavage, which Tim silently noted. “I apologize, my friend, you are definitely hot!” Tim gushed.

“Aww! Nice save, Tim.” Laura smiled brightly. “Have we learned anything more about the cave drawings?” She asked, changing the subject, and getting back to business. “Yes, as I understand the crude legend, the Tekamah Native American Indians believe that a prophecy will reveal to them the ‘savior from the stars’ on her eighteenth birthday.”

Laura was skeptical. “Could they even count to eighteen?” She remarked sarcastically. “You said ‘her’ Tim. Are you sure that the legend was gender specific?” Tim nodded. “I created an extensive linguistic database based on word associations to their drawings.”

Laura’s eyes narrowed. “Why Tim, I had no idea that you were such a cunning linguist.” She quipped. Naturally, Tim completely missed her crude remark, instead continuing with his lecture. “The prophecy happens to coincide with your eighteenth birthday, based on the full moon, called a harvest moon, for it’s late autumn appearance.” The boy genius informed her.

By now Laura had removed her cheesy mask and plopped comfortably down in the family recliner. She considered his words. “You’re positive that you’re not just adding some interesting spin to the Tekamah stories?” Tim nodded. “There are specific patterns to their illustrations. They speak allegorically, like ‘woman’ is referred to as ‘the spring of life’. Because women bear children.”

“Upon the spirit of night, she leads the hunt, the spring of life will return on her score harvest season.” Tim quoted. “Huh?” Laura didn’t follow. “Therefore, that translates as ‘the spirit of night leads the hunt’ which refers to a full moon making it easier for the warriors to hunt at night, catching their prey by surprise.” Laura got that part. “Okay, that sort of makes sense.” She admitted.

“The spring of life will return on her score harvest season’ refers to a specific number of years, or harvest seasons. ‘Score’ is a word the Tekamah picked up from the early explorers and colonists. In their limited numeration skills, a score was eighteen years, which was about how long it took them to plant, grow, and harvest an acre or two of farmland, and replenish the soil.” Tim informed her.

“All right. What makes you think that I’m the ‘spring of life’ savior? The Tekamah are basically extinct in these parts, aren’t they? So I didn’t save them from anything.” Laura assessed logically. “They could’ve been referring to the golden Loracite deposits at the base of Comet Creek, and along the floor of Crater Lake.” She added.

Tim disagreed. “Remember, the Tekamah called the creek and lake ‘bad medicine’, so it would’ve been the opposite of a savior for them.” Laura sighed. “I guess we’ll never know.” Tim shrugged. “It’s just a concept. How did your travels to Smallville go? Did you hook up with young Kent?”

“Yeah, Kent’s good people, but I got on the wrong side of his girlfriend.” Laura admitted sullenly. Tim’s eyes lit up ‘hope springs eternal’ ran through his computer speeded mind. “Girlfriend, eh? Do I sense an air of rejection, my turbo teen superhero?” Laura nodded. “Yes. Kent’s hooked up with a reporter lady from the Daily Planet, Lois Lane.”

“Bummer, my sweet! I can relate, being an expert on rejection.” Tim tried to sympathize with her. “Thanks Tim, but I’m a big girl. This does leave an opening for the Homecoming Dance, though.” Laura grumbled. “I would be honored to accompany you.” Tim made an exaggerated bow.

Laura grinned. “Thank you, sir. We could always blow off that lame tribute to steroid sucking jocks and their vapid vixen cheerleaders, and slam some major ‘Guitar Hero’ jams.” She suggested. “Dude! You rock!” Tim quipped, giving her the ‘horns up’ sign. Laura got up and hugged him.

“What would I do without you, Tim-Ster?” She smiled brightly. “Let’s hope that you never find out.” He countered playfully. “Falcon Claw High will never be the same after I show up there Monday, in full ‘Gold Wing’ attire!” Laura boasted. Tim laughed. “You wouldn’t dare!”

“Wouldn’t I? Tim, some advice, never dare a woman scorned!” She joked. “This lame ass backwater cow pasture community needs a good shot in the arm!” She added, comically. “I may have a better idea, my queen of chaos. Why not show up in Gold Wing regalia at the Homecoming Dance? We can still have our Guitar Hero weekend, and wreak pleasant havoc on the town.”

“I like it!” Laura and Tim did the fist bump. “We can’t break any laws, no one gets hurt, just prank the dance, and punk the kids, especially the jocks and cheerleaders.” Tim nodded. “Agreed. I will put my considerable talents to use, crafting an appropriate set of pranks and special effects.” Laura laughed heartily. “I know you will.”

The two young troublemakers began plotting their playful assault on the Homecoming Dance. They had nearly a month to plan their chaos. For now, Tim investigated the Tekamah cave writings further. Laura’s attention span was beginning to wane. She yawned, stretching leisurely.

“Tim, I’m getting tired!” Laura exclaimed. The computer genius glanced up from his laptop. “Really? So you do have some limits!” He commented. “Yes.” Laura affirmed happily. “This means that I’m not a total freak after all. When the Loracite runs out, so do my powers!”

“Don’t get your hopes up, Laura. We still don’t know what a complete Loracite shutdown would do to your system.” Tim mentioned. “True, but now I can ‘come down’ so to speak when I want to, at least to a certain point, I can remain human. This is great news!” She yawned again.

“Yes it is, my super heroine.” Tim smiled until something in the Tekamah transcripts caught his eye. “Hello! What’s this?” He reread the passage. Laura was alert and awaiting his explanation. “The Prophecy of the One.” Tim parroted. “The one what?” Laura sat up and glanced over his shoulder.

“The One, the true leader of our people will emerge. She will wrest our land from the pink eyes!” Tim continued. “Wait a minute, wrest our land? I seriously doubt that the Tekamah could have pronounced it quite that way.” Laura scoffed. “Pink eyes? I assume they meant palefaces.”

“I agree. It is conceivable though, that someone educated added that phrasing in the Tekamah wall scrawls, perhaps around the Seventeenth Century.” Tim analyzed. “The Golden Walls will tumble down revealing the true nature of the beast.” He read another passage.

“That doesn’t sound good.” Laura remarked. “The beast could refer to a demon.” Tim guessed. “Back then, the Church had a lot of power over the natives, trying to convert the so-called ‘savages’ to their religion. It stands to reason that some of the Tekamah became educated before they vanished.”

“The Golden Walls would likely be the Loracite in the caves which had cascaded down the walls and into the center, creating the source for Comet Creek.” Laura followed his logic. “Very good, Laura.”
                      Tim praised. “I suppose it could just be ancient paranoia. Most cultures do have some concept of good and evil, such as devils and angels, and the like.”

“I’m actually more interested in your Clark Kent.” Tim changed the subject. “You want me to fix you two up?” Laura taunted. “You’d get lost in his baby blue eyes.” Tim flushed. “Uh, no Laura, that’s not my game. I meant what about Kent’s powers? Where did he get them?”

“He said he was born with them, that’s about it.” Laura hedged. “The Man of Steel isn’t big on explanation, information, or communication.” Tim wouldn’t be swayed. “He talked to you, didn’t he?” Laura nodded. “But I spoke the language of love.” She laughed, thoroughly amusing herself.

“You said his girlfriend was Lois Lane, the reporter from the Metropolis Daily Planet?” Tim grilled, depressing Laura further. “Yes Tim.” She replied coldly. “You do realize that he’s the mysterious red and blue blur, don’t you?” Tim added. “What are you talking about?” Laura huffed.

Tim showed her a recent story on line in the Daily Planet.com website. “Red and Blue Blur Saves Three Children in Bus Accident, by Lois Lane.” Laura read aloud. “That snake!” She scowled. “He gave me a speech about ‘with great power comes great responsibility’, and there he is plastered across the Net. At least they didn’t get a good photo of him.”

“Meanwhile, let’s work on our Homecoming plan.” Tim suggested, as Laura nodded.

cont'd
                      Last edited by gardy1; 08-29-2009, 08:57 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

AWESOME!!! I love it Gardy! Totally perfect!!

Comment

Thanks lauraforever.

If you liked the first half you'll love the second half coming right up.

gardy1

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Gold Wing con'td

The Gold Wing Strikes: Chapter 7

PG 13

Over the next month, Laura and Tim suffered their daily abuse by the so-called ‘cool people’, and slowly bided their time. They expected that this was one Homecoming Dance that no one would ever forget. Putting both their talents together, the twisted teens were just about ready.

They were going to seriously screw with the school dance, however, they reassured each other that they wouldn’t let it get out of hand. Ironically, Laura’s eighteenth birthday was the day after the Saturday night festivities. This promised to be one heckuva celebration.

Two days before the dance, Tim and Laura snuck onto the Falcon Claw High Football Field. The team and the cheerleaders had just finished practice. In the darkness, no one picked out the two lone shadows creeping along the grandstand. The field lights had just been turned off. Laura knocked out the security cameras.

“Can I do anything to help?” Tim offered quietly. “Nope, Tim, this one’s on me. Just sit back and watch.” Laura replied, grinning evilly. The mischievous super hero zipped across the darkened field, grabbed a large metal trash bin, physically carried the five foot by five foot container, and subsequently dumped the bin and its contents in the middle of the field on the 50 yard line.

Tim snickered, as Laura went back to get another trash bin, and tossed it a good twenty feet upward onto the clubhouse roof. It clattered noisily, spilling its contents all across the roof and over the edge onto the parking lot entrance. It reeked. Laura wrinkled her nose as she sped back to Tim.

The troublemakers high-fived each other. “Phase one, complete!” Tim joked. The next night they snuck into the school itself. Laura quickly disabled the security cameras. Tim spiked the team’s Gatorade with a mixture of hot sauce, horseradish, and black pepper.

Laura slunk through the darkened corridors. The football team was called the Falcon Claw Falcons, as written on a large hanging sign above the sports director’s office. “Very original.” Laura muttered, as she wrote with bright red lipstick across the sign: Death, Doom, and Destruction to All.

She chuckled, admiring her handiwork. Next she ventured into the girls’ locker room. Thoroughly pleased with herself, Laura wrote in large red lipstick letters: I Know What You Did Last Night. Revenge! She giggled, heading next to the boys locker room.

She painstakingly wrote every cheerleader’s home phone number on the walls above the urinals in the same red lipstick. Her sides began to hurt from laughing. She was thankful that she could still feel a little pain. Tomorrow, Laura would ingest one of the Loracite laced shakes to keep her strength up.

Tim was setting up the special effects for the dance. He’d created a life-sized animated monster, similar to a brown furred version of Carrie from Prom Night. The creature had been built with some robot parts he’d acquired on E Bay. It was unsophisticated, but coupled with the other effects would be fun. Tim installed the robot in the ceiling above the drama class stage.

With his jury-rigged remote control, it would drop down through a trap door, growling and shrieking. For added punch, he and Laura had splattered bright red paint all over the monster. Tim had rigged a slave circuit to the remote that would cause the sound system to malfunction, as well as turn off the lighting in the gym briefly. The flashing strobe lights he’d bought, would add to the confusion.

Their good friend, Shana Springbrook, was also part of the plan, though she’d be an unwitting accomplice. Shana was a nice senior girl from the wealthier part of Falcon Claw. The area had been nicknamed Brat Flats. She was in most of Laura’s classes and a few of Tim’s.

Laura and Tim tended to attract all of the fringe students at Falcon Claw, all of the geeks, nerds, Goth Chicks, and Goth Guys, as well as any other self-proclaimed outsider. They formed a bond based on abusive jocks, cheerleaders, and just generally rude people.

At last count, Laura and Tim had over twenty ‘followers’. Shana was a bit odd, though Laura and Tim both liked her as a friend. Shana was obsessed with the occult. The Brat Flat teen enjoyed horror movies, and films about witches, ghosts, and goblins.

Laura and Tim decided to punk poor Shana. They encouraged her to bring her favorite occult book, titled “The Grimoire and the Dark Arts.” It was an alleged spell-casting book, supposedly written by some Wicca Cult or another. Laura tempted her friend to ‘raise a demon’ before the Homecoming dance. At first, Shana was skeptical, claiming that they were making fun of her.

Eventually they talked her into it. Shana complied, creating an elaborate séance. Laura and Tim joined hands with Shana, and she cast her spell. When nothing happened, Shana left, discouraged. It was still over a month until Halloween, so no one would be expecting their stunts.

“Phase two, complete!” Laura joked as she called Tim’s cell phone.

The day of the dance, the Falcons played their archrivals, the Corn Huskers, and promptly lost the football game. The Lady Falcons, the cheerleaders, of course, brought the back up spiked Gatorade onto the field. Some drank Tim’s concoction, vomiting frequently.

Laura and Tim were in the stands laughing hysterically. Brandi Meiser, the editor of the school paper, The Falcon Heart, noted Laura and Tim’s amusement at the stricken cheerleaders and ballplayers. She would make it a point to investigate them later.

Shana had been chatting with her Goth friends, named P-Dawg, and Fox, about her alleged spell-casting adventure at the ballgame. They were quite impressed, vowing to hang out with Laura and Tim. Fox, a pretty brunette, with the traditional thick black eye makeup, black painted fingernails, and leather outfit complete with a silver chain, decided to meet the two troublemakers.

P-Dawg went along with her. Shana introduced them. Tim managed to talk the Goth kids into helping them prank the dance. Without sharing any details, Laura suggested that they all go in costume. P-Dawg offered to dress like a murdered teen, complete with a plastic ‘bloody ax’ taped to his chest.

Fox wouldn’t be outdone, choosing to don a ‘blood soaked’ used wedding dress. Laura laughed
                            appreciatively, and Shana and the Goth kids left. It was time to get started on the rest of their plan. At nightfall, Fox, P-Dawg, and a few others, toilet papered the entire school grounds, hanging the bathroom tissue from every tree and even ‘decorated’ the football field’s goalposts.

Laura would bring her Gold Wing outfit along, beginning the night in a common black strapless dress, with black heels, and she made it a point to sport her ‘cat glasses’. Tim wore a simple black polo shirt and black Dockers. Most of his involvement would be behind the scenes.

The jocks and cheerleaders arrived first, looking worn and haggard from the Gatorade incident. The average kids arrived next, and the Goths, through papering the grounds, would arrive in a typically late fashion. Shana wore a striking red dress, which Tim had to admit, made her look sexy. Shana’s long, stringy, blonde hair draped over her bare shoulders.

Mike Trent, Laura’s longtime friend and first schoolgirl crush arrived next, with Brandi Meiser on his arm. This gave Laura the extra incentive to prank the dance and punk the kids. She sauntered right up to Mike, giving him a surprise peck on the cheek in front of Brandi, who gave her a dirty look.

By now, Laura had ingested her Loracite drink and was at full superhero power. After some pleasant conversation with Mike, she decided that it was time to get the real party started. Laura excused herself, and Brandi gave her a sarcastic wave goodbye. “Good riddance.” She said arrogantly. Mike chastised her. “Was that nice? I mean Laura was trying to be civil.”

“Whatever, Mike.” Brandi ignored him and turned her attention to the announcement of the Homecoming King and Queen. She’d have to cover it for the school paper, of course. Brandi left Mike alone at the table, and headed up front to grab some pictures of the selected couple.

Laura immediately zipped in behind Mike. She suddenly got in his face. “Mikey, would you like to dance?” He was hesitant at first. “I’m with Brandi.” Laura dismissed him with a wave. “So? She’ll be busy for a while…” Maybe a long while, Laura thought lustfully. “Okay.” Mike gave in and led her to the dance floor. The next song was slow and Laura made it a point to dance closely with him.

Brandi was getting some preliminary shots of the King and Queen’s court, the rest of the jocks and cheerleaders, naturally. The next song was fast, and Laura made an extra effort to dance sexy with Mike, occasionally grinding up against him, and shaking her booty big time. Tim watched her angrily, growing jealous over time. Still he had to admit, the girl could move.

Mike reddened as Brandi noticed the sexy moves. Laura had positioned them in the middle of the dance floor where everyone could see. Brandi was furious, snapping pictures rapidly, in a vain attempt to get back to Mike. The couple of choice surprised no one.

Brett Storm, the Falcons quarterback, and Karyn Warren, a cheerleader, had been named the winners, parading around the stage with their tacky crowns and scepters. It was about time for Laura and Tim to make their move. Tim edged away, heading behind the stage. No one noticed him. Laura excused herself, and pretended to go to the bathroom.

She’d cleverly hidden her Gold Wing costume, complete with mask, in a ceiling section above a stall in the washroom. She super sped the change, hiding her dress and shoes in the same spot. It was show time. Tim anxiously awaited the signal. Laura zipped up to the air conditioning control, and cranked it all the way down. It quickly grew cold in the crowded school auditorium.

Laura grabbed her other props. She zipped across the building, and returned with a large canister of whipped cream, a coconut cream pie, and a large, shaken bottle of soda. Using her blinding speed, Laura sprayed the whipped cream on Karyn’s face, smashed the pie in Brandi’s chest, and popped open the soda on Brett’s suit.

No one saw her as she tipped over the punch bowl, spilling ice and sticky punch on the auditorium floor. At that moment, Tim released the monster. It dropped from the ceiling on cue, right in front of Karyn and Brandi. The girls screamed. The sound system went haywire, switching the pounding base into a series of amplified screams, shrieks, and howls. Kids began to run in every direction.

The moderators tried to restore order as the lights went off, and the strobe lights kicked on. The Goth kids laughed hysterically, soon getting into the spirit of the pranks. Fox and P-Dawg’s friend, Rat, a cute red haired girl, grabbed the stage spotlight, and shone it on P-Dawg, who moaned and groaned as the supposedly bloody ax hung from his chest.

Fox screamed next, appearing in the spotlight with her blood soaked wedding dress. P-Dawg laughed heartily as the kids slipped on the ice cubes, punch, whipped cream, and coconut cream pie, falling over each other in a momentary panic. Laura noticed that, and didn’t want the kids to get hurt. She picked up as many as she could with her hyper speed. Thankfully, no one was seriously injured.

Rat’s date, Connor, had sprinted to the cafeteria and returned with moldy cheese, and old vegetables. He handed them out to the other Goth kids. The emergency lights came on, and the jocks and cheerleaders began to file out, cursing vehemently. The moderators had almost restored order.

The dance was due to go on for another hour, but it was going to be cancelled by the school staff. Moans and groans accompanied some applause and laughter, as the rest of the kids began to leave. Laura had returned, clad in her black dress, smiling appreciatively as the Goth kids scattered.

Tim was about to join her, when he slipped and fell, colliding with Max, a linebacker for the football team. “Watch where you’re going, geek!” He growled, shoving Tim backwards into a table. This was about to get ugly. “What’s your problem, jerk?” Connor challenged Max.

“What’s it to you, weirdo?” Max and Brett chorused. The jocks and cheerleaders were outside in the parking lot, watching the possible confrontation. Tim got up and followed P-Dawg and Rat outside. Fox was trailing them, still chuckling, as a teacher frowned at her.

The Goth kids and their friends lined the edge of the parking lot. “Fire!” Connor yelled. Immediately the Goths pelted the jocks and cheerleaders with the moldy cheese, vegetables, and small balls of mud. Laura hadn’t expected this. She considered heading back in to get the Gold Wing outfit.

To her left, Mike and Brandi were about to be hit by vegetables. She zipped over and deflected some of the debris from Mike, and let a few clumps of mud pass her to hit Brandi. Max and Brett had cornered Tim. “That’s the geek that started all this!” Max pointed Tim out.

Laura zipped back in and donned her Gold Wing getup. “I guess it’s time for my coming out party.” She mumbled, replacing the dress above the stall. Max was about to deck Tim, and Connor was ready to charge Brett and some of the other ballplayers. The cheerleaders hid behind the cars, as cheese, mud, and vegetables rained down on them. The Goths would run out of ammo soon.

“I might as well enjoy myself.” Laura muttered as she zipped up to the roof in her Gold Wing outfit. The auditorium’s roof peak was roughly three stories above the parking lot. Laura struck a menacing pose, making sure that the moonlight reflected off of her shiny leather costume.

“Hey, who’s that?” Shana, of all people, spotted Laura on the roof peak, pointing in her direction. A few of the cheerleaders spotted her as well. The boys were too busy posturing, ready to start a brawl. Tim leaned back against a pick up truck as Max and one of the other jocks, Carl, advanced on him.

Laura somersaulted elegantly off the roof’s peak, landing solidly and gracefully, smack in between the jocks and Tim. Max stared at her. “What the hell are you supposed to be?” He scoffed. “Your worst nightmare!” Laura threatened, disguising her voice as best she could. “Cool!” Fox remarked.

The Goths stopped pelting the others with garbage, deciding that a melee would be much more fun. “Pick on someone your own size!” Laura snarled as Carl took another step forward. “Thank God!” Tim exclaimed quietly, though Brandi had heard him. She cast him a puzzled glance.

“Are you a student at our school?” Traci, a more moderate cheerleader asked. “Do I look like a schoolgirl, genius?” Laura growled. Brandi was hurriedly wiping the cake and soda off of her digital camera, intent on getting a shot of the new arrival. “What’re you doing here?” Brett queried.

“I was summoned here!” Laura forced her voice to remain deep and controlled. For effect, Laura slowly glanced at the group, making eye contact with whomever she could. She focused her gaze on Shana, who began to shudder. The Goths were suddenly silent, unsure of what to make of Laura.

Tim stifled a gasp as Carl smirked. “Let’s take off her mask!” He advanced towards her. Max sneered. “Why stop there? Let’s take off her clothes!” He took another step, falling just within Laura’s reach. “You guys are pigs!” Brandi, of all people, defended Laura.

“Bring it, big boy…if you think you’re man enough!” Laura challenged, clearly relishing her performance. With that, Max came in closer. Laura quickly grabbed him by the arm and tossed the two hundred plus pound linebacker over her shoulder with ease. She was careful, no sense in severely injuring the oaf, especially since the Falcons had another ballgame next week.

Max crashed into the open garbage bin, spraying foul smelling debris in every direction. Carl stopped his move, but it was too late. Laura, using purely speed, grabbed the linebacker’s arm, and twisted it behind his back. She spun him around, and kicked him square in the buttocks!

Carl flew forward into a couple of the other jocks, and eventually into the side of an SUV, instantly activating its alarm. “Anyone else want a piece of me?” Laura shouted at the crowd. The silence was deafening. Brandi finally snapped a photo of Laura, first from behind, then as she turned.

“Do you want an autograph, too, kitten?” Laura asked Brandi sarcastically, frowning at the overzealous school paper reporter. “Nope.” Brandi gulped. Sirens began to wail in the distance. Someone had called the police. Laura faced the stunned crowd.

“You’ll be showing each other a lot more respect from now on!” Laura spoke toughly and loudly. “If you don’t, I’ll hear about it, and return. I have spies everywhere, including your pathetic high school.” She let her speech sink in. A few of the average kids nodded their heads in agreement.

Tim was busy sneaking away, deciding that now was as good a time as any for a retreat. Laura made a show of bending her knees, and vaulting straight upward, landing back on the roof’s peak. In the background she heard murmurs, wows, and some stray applause as the kids scattered.

Brandi and Mike remained, as well as Shana. The Goths had split up, heading for their cars and motorcycles. Laura hung out on the roof for a few minutes chuckling. This had been the most fun she’d had in years. Though she could just picture Clark, giving her a stern lecture.

Laura admitted that nearly inciting a riot was not a particularly smart thing for a young superhero to do. Some of the kids, including Tim, could’ve gotten hurt, she mused. Still, Gold Wing had to make an appearance; Laura rationalized, thinking of herself in the third person for the first time.

Laura zipped back into her regular clothes, gathered her Gold Wing outfit, and quickly disassembled Tim’s special effects show. By the time she’d finished, Tim was calling her cell phone.

continued...
                            Last edited by gardy1; 08-29-2009, 08:58 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

WOW, that was amazing!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎