Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Craig be reviewing this show's DVD release?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Craig be reviewing this show's DVD release?

I'd really like to see his thoughts, opinions, and input on both Birds of Prey as a show and its DVD release this past summer. I mean this is a show that, like Smallville, is based off DC characters; more specially, those from the Batman family! Craig did seem very interested in that "intriguing" attempt of a Dick ("D.J."!?) Grayson show, The Graysons, so maybe checking out Birds would be good stuff for him and us readers of his reviews. What do you guys think, want him to do a Birds review like I do?

Craig, here's hoping ya' go for it!

I think the time for a BOP DVD review may have passed... the DVD itself was a bit of a disappointment. I give them props for including the original pilot on the set, but I absolutely hated a lot of the music substitutions... especially the atrocious Felicity-sounding theme song replacement. To me, "Revolution" was one of the best parts of the show.

Watching the show now, there are still things I love - like Dina Meyer... but there's a lot of bad dialogue and contrivances that make the show a lot cheesier than it should have been. When BOP was on its way (and when I did http://www.gothamclocktower.com ) I was so excited about it. I was even able to read the script early, and every positive thing I said about it is true. It's just... as much as I do think Ashley Scott's a decent actress and I liked her on Jericho, I think she was given horrible direction as Helena, which led to a rather annoying character rather than a cool one. Some of that dialogue, I think only someone like Eliza Dushku could have pulled it off.

It's really too bad though. Having a show in the Batman universe without Batman is a challenge, yes... but they could have and should have used it to their advantage rather than as a crutch. Unfortunately I think there was no solid direction for the series beyond "hot ladies kick butt." Smallville was and is successful because it's about journeys - Clark's to heroism and Lex's toward villainy.... what was BOP meant to do?

It might have been a lot cooler if it had been Helena going from her bad (Catwoman) side toward her father's heroic side, and if the series had been about her redemption. But alas, it was "Batman without Batman plus really bad dialogue." The premiere, I think, had some of the WB's highest ratings... but no one came back.

Gee, I think I just fit a DVD review into this post. Sorry about that ;p In short though, I do think BOP had a lot of potential, and the DVD is a fun watch to revisit the show, but the lack of widescreen presentation and all of the music replacement REALLY bugged me. I'd have paid 5 bucks more for it, even, if it meant having "Revolution" on it.

Comment

Originally posted by KryptonSite
      Gee, I think I just fit a DVD review into this post. Sorry about that ;p
      Many thanks

Heck Craig, I do appreciate ya' taking the time to reply about this, I know you're a very busy guy. Thank you for giving some insight on this and why you most likely won't get the release. I understand about not doing a review for it, the time does indeed seem like it's passed.

but the lack of widescreen presentation
      It actually is in widescreen, just non-anamorphic. The unaired pilot is anamorphic widescreen though, so I'm still trying to get my head around that, the WB were quite odd with this release to say the least. Thank you again for the response.

Comment

Oh, I did buy the DVD; I just won't go about reviewing it I couldn't resist having BOP on DVD as it should be.

The show actually did air in anamorphic widescreen in some place, but from what I hear Warner Bros. couldn't FIND all of their widescreen prints. Which is why we got the "fake widescreen;" I should have qualified that.

I am so bummed about the music though. The music was some of the best stuff in BOP.

Comment

Oh, I did buy the DVD; I just won't go about reviewing it I couldn't resist having BOP on DVD as it should be.
          Sweet!

The show actually did air in anamorphic widescreen in some place, but from what I hear Warner Bros. couldn't FIND all of their widescreen prints. Which is why we got the "fake widescreen;" I should have qualified that.
          So does this mean the non-anamorphic/letterbox format we have is cropped over a pan-&-scan version?

I am so bummed about the music though. The music was some of the best stuff in BOP.
          The music replacing is a shame, probably had to do with the WB being cheap and wanting to get this out concurrently with The Dark Knight more than anything else. If I recall right, the only alterations done were the opening theme and the T.A.T.U. song in the final fight of the finale. At least it isn't as bad as The Fugitive, we still got those Smallville-familiar Mark Snow tunes~

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎