Special Effects in "Identity"

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i honestly think that all of the CGI was fantastic except for the cape. For those of you that have HD Channels like me your could tell the CGI, they made it look like the cape from the cartoon, it was too CGIish. Also I prefer the CGI cape from Superman Returns than from this Episode of Smallville. I don't know thats my opinion.

Comment

I thought the cgi cape was surprisingly well done, much better than I thought it would be. Although I don't know why they decided to go cgi in the first place.

It's not fair to compare the cgi cape from a $200+ million dollar movie to a low budget television show.

Comment

I liked the superspeeding in slow motion to save Lois. It was done well.

Comment

It was a mix of CGi and real prop cape. The close-ups were real for obvious reasons but ontop of the building it was definately CGI, i am 100% certain.

The specularity looked fake (the unnatural highlights because the shader wasn't realistic enough).

The motion was wrong (i've seen plenty of cloth animatics, and this was below average, they tried too hard to go for the iconic cape swirl).

Also the color wasn't quite right (there should have been more indirect lighting effects, the blue of the costume should have left a slight blue reflection on the cape and similarly the blue costume should have had more of a red tint on the back, its called color bleeding).

This i feel was the most important thing they got wrong, you can almost get away with bad animation and highlights if the colour bleeding is spot on, because you get a proper sense of interation.

Comment

I liked when Clark came to the talon to rescue Lois and hurt Sebastian, it was speed and effective

Comment

Skully, your comment about the green screen split up made me chuckle. It was infact a single shot and Clark was actually in the same plate as Lois. I love seeing your guys comments and discussions about the show, and yeah some of the shots do turn out not so good, but it comes down to time not just money in the budget. The turn around for these types of shows can sometimes only be a week, maybe a bit more. So sometimes there's just not enough time to make everything perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousVFXGuy
                Skully, your comment about the green screen split up made me chuckle. It was infact a single shot and Clark was actually in the same plate as Lois. I love seeing your guys comments and discussions about the show, and yeah some of the shots do turn out not so good, but it comes down to time not just money in the budget. The turn around for these types of shows can sometimes only be a week, maybe a bit more. So sometimes there's just not enough time to make everything perfect.
                Welcome to Kryptonsite I love the FX on Smallville, it's one of the things that makes the show so great!
                If you have something to do with that, then Good Job, Mr AnonymousVFXGuy!

I saw a BTS shot of the scene and they had Lois on a stand to suspend her in the air, while clark ran into the shot! it was awesome! I wish we could see more "Behind The Scenes" pics!

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎