Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time line issues.. again.
    Clark says "After 8 years I'd think you know me better than that" (don't remember the exact line.) Uh.. we were told they met in 8th grade.

I thought it was a good episode, I was just expecting more out of it. It was a bit too slow for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuthorKent90
      Time line issues.. again.
      Clark says "After 8 years I'd think you know me better than that" (don't remember the exact line.) Uh.. we were told they met in 8th grade.
      Wasn't Season 1 Clark's freshman year though? That means 8 years ago was indeed 8th grade, if we don't count this season as a year gone by (which is reasonable considering this season/year isn't done yet).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there again what a truly lame episode this was to me. Simply bad tv. I still cringe when I think about that bully scene. And Clark suddenly acting like Superman out of nowhere. They should have waited until the END of this season for this level of Clark's development to be reached (which is basically pretty much Superman-ready). They jumped into it way too quickly, when you consider that the previous 7 seasons featured nothing but a whiny mopey life/self hating Clark who was invariably obsessed with the idea of living a dream life with that damaged ol' Lana, and being able to enjoy a "normal" life, hiding from the world in his barn, trying to forget the "destiny" as preached to him by Papa Jorel and other preachy types, like the ridiculous Martian Manhunter and other cartoon characters.
      Last edited by Xanderman; 10-30-2008, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• oups I was wrong with the vote. I thought I voted for Identity and I said 10 but noooo, for "prey" to me, a 5 is enough, I can't really explain it but well I was disappointed...

Comment

• this episode was a big dissapointment for me. i gave it a 5. i don't think i was expecting much tbh, but it was one of the biggest anti superman episodes smallville has ever given us. it was like watching what superman would be like if he had been bought up on an estate in Britain's chav culture

Clark spent most of the episode looking pissed off, and throwing his weight around. whenever anyone became a suspect he was rude and threatening to them. Chloe got in his way and he was rude and dismissive. he shrugged of stealing and betrayal like 'oh well, the means justify the ends'

well they don't, not in the world of Superman, who is a pillar of truth and justice

this whole saving people thing has come on very quickly, and without any good reason. when i try and get into Clark's head to think about it, i'd say he's trying to keep himself busy to keep his mind off all the emotional problems going round in his head. but really he should sort those out first and then try and be a hero. he needs to save himself first

it's all well and good knocking down the heroes, but i want to see him hiding behind a car to make sure the kid is definately alright and then smiling when he sees he's safe. Superman is not an angry hate filled hero! he doesn't do what he does because he wants to punish people or because he is on some mission to save absolutely everyone like a robot, with no emotion or attachment to the people he is saving. he does it out of love for humanity

'you can't save everyone clark'
          'the moment i believe that is when i stop trying'

no... no... this is just mad! Superman is about hope. someone to look up to. and tbh this line just makes him sound like an idiot. as do a lot of the lines in this episode. he continually keeps saying that things are his fault and that he failed... and i know that he has been saying stuff like that since the first season, but my god, has he not learnt anything yet

i mean anyone with a basic understanding of the world knows that not stopping someone from killing someone else, doesnt mean its your fault... it's total BDA and i hate it every time he says it... it doesnt show how much he cares, it shows how much he thinks the world revolves around him. well sorry buddy, but just because you are an alien doesn't mean that everything that happens on the planet is related to you in any way... some things just happen, learn to live in the world and accept things you cannot change!

the best thing in this episode was Davis. the actor did a very good job of showing the fear and emotion he was feeling, and i can see why he feels for Chloe.

Chloe was ridiculous. now i don't condone superman betraying his friends... but i dont understand why Chloe would be so careless. for one thing, why was the girl walking home alone. if i were chloe, i'd be ringing those kids taxis, not letting them go down dark alleyways... but more to the point, you don't immediately trust ANYONE, meteor freak or not. she shouldn't have been so ignorant to the fact it could have easily been one of her group

Jimmy's little side story was good, and since it links in with the next eppie, i say kudos for some semblance of a thread running through the episodes. and i like Chloe shooting down Davis. it is a strange ship, and one that i am finding interesting, but it's good that she is being clear with him, i'd hate to have her cheat on jimmy at this point

basically, this episode has made me quite angry

p.s. why is the necklace hanging up in the ambulance. so he attacked some people, woke up with no memory of it, found the necklace and just decided it was pretty without wondering where it came from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
            this episode was a big dissapointment for me. i gave it a 5.............
            Hi Becky, I was already asking myself if you have lost your interest in Smallville, because I haven't seen you around here so much for the last weeks.
            But well, here you are and I'm happy to reading your posts again

AND: I so agree with all you've posted above. I gave this episode a 5 as well. It was really dissapointing for me, too, but you, as always found the better words to explain why this episode was....well, not so good.

Comment

• Thanks for all that you said JoAnne. Prey was an episode I had low expecations for but turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Its the episode that started the red/blur blur arc and set the stage for Doomsday/Davis. And the Manhunter ruled as he always does. I'm looking forward to the next episode with Phil Morris. Hopefully in a bigger role next time.

Comment

• One of the best episodes of SV ever, it got me so pumped with adrenaline, I feel like a million bucks right now.
                I CAN'T WAIT for Doomsday to make public appearance !

Comment

• doomsday is awsome

Comment

• This really made up for the last three disappointing episodes... and Davis rocked!

8/10

Comment

• prey is easily my favourite of all the episodes this season by far

Comment

As much as I like the innocence of the first seasons
                        I totally love the more dark and adult Smallville of season 8

Doomsday is THE villain.

Comment

• This episode is much better than the last 5.Liked the plot,chloe turning dark was kool and davis durning into doomsday was awsome

Comment

Clark in this episode really showes how mature he is and ready to be Superman. I'd wish more episodes were like this. The after intro saves alone boost this episode to 6-7 the rest is just good story telling and I like that the focus is on Clarks identity as a superhero. In this episode nothing was stopping him from doing what's right. Not even friendship with Chloe. Again, more episodes should have been like this!

Comment

• The first Smallville episode entirely devoid of scenes set in the titular town.

This is a very good episode. Murders are committed by someone with superhuman abilities, which sparks a witch-hunt for the meteor infected. Without probable cause, Clark acquires the names of innocent Isis Foundation clients and hands them over to the police, resulting in a minority group being harrassed, profiled. Just what Mary Pierson feared would happen. Suddenly, the meteor infected aren't simply the bogeyman out there to just hurt people. They get humanized, we get to see their lives. While this episode does have a meteor freak, who does end up killing someone (assuming that guy was dead), there are nine other meteor freaks who hurts no one. Not that I think many people will think about the latter, as the characters earlier bigotries (that all meteor freaks are bad) are often taken as fact. This episode asks us to see things from the point of view from the meteor infected. Outcasts, unwanted by the world at large. Many (in this case, eight people, not counting the deceased Mary Pierson) judged for the acts of the few (Randy Klein, with one exception, acts that are wrongfully credited to him; Assuming it even was Randy who killed him, and not someone that Doomsday killed, whose body hadn't been found yet; Randy finds the body and decides to take credit for the murders). Only one out of ten meteor freaks hurt someone in this episode.

Found it amusing that it's Chloe who calls Clark out on his witch-hunt for the meteor infected, when she spearheaded her own for years. Printing articles in the Torch, that helped to perpetuate negative views on a minority group. Chloe says that she has profiled 327 meteor freaks, since the ninth grade. Two of them were Jake Pollen and Leonard Wallace. Two men murdered, because she put them on a list of meteor freaks. Now, Jake was killed while trying to harm someone, but Leonard Wallace was by all account innocent (not to mention, Van decided to kill Jake, before he had hurt anyone).

I like what they did with Martian Manhunter. Using his powerless state to advance his story and character development. Prior to this, J'onn was just this myserious man, who appeared when Clark needed him. He seemingly had no life, no home, no job, no human identity. Now he's become John Jones, a Police Detective in Metropolis. He's got a human identity, a job and while we didn't see it until season 11, he obviously has got a home in Metropolis. Furthering his development towards his own destiny as a superhero.
                              Last edited by jon-el87; 07-08-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Rewatching the scene, the murder victim has had his face cut open by someone with claws. Whereas Randy only strangles Jimmy and Davis. If Randy doesn't have claws, he did not murder that guy. So, we've got ten meteor freaks, in this episode, who doesn't murder anyone. Nine entirely innocent and one kid, desperate for attention.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎