Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about Lana?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so I know most people probably don't want to hear about Lana anymore...but hear me out.
    When Lana broke it off with Clark they both loved each other still. The reason they had to break it off was because:
    a) Lana was holding Clark back from doing greater things - and she loved him enough to let him go
    b) Clark knows (based on episode 100, the brainiac coma...etc) that being with Lana is only going to cause her pain. If the pain doesn't come from the lies about his secret (which is a large part of the story of Smallville) then it comes from people trying to hurt Lana to get to Clark. So Clark also knows that, even though it hurts and he still loves her, it causes less pain to Lana to not be with her.
    How can you explain that being with Lois is going to be any different? I suppose this is something wrong with the superman story in general...
    So I have 2 questions:
    a) why would Clark start chasing Lois when he continues to love Lana (even though they can't be together)
    b) how would Clark think anything is going to be different between Clark and Lois and between Clark and Lana?
    If Smallville doesn't answer these questions than they are betraying all the stories they have created up until this point...and maybe it is time to end it before they destroy it

You keep forgetting one small thing, Lois isn't Lana! And while Lois still isn't done baking and turning into the mature and supporting Lois we all know she will become, she is still a more mature person than Lana ever was or will ne!
    And yes one can argue, that sence Lois couldn't handle Olivers double identity that she just the same wouldn't be able to handle Clarks, which proved to be the truth in the future, but she did come around and excepted that she will never be the first priority on Clark's daily list of chores! As much as she tried, Lana never could accept that fact, she was to selfish in the end, and did Clark and herself a huge favour by braking it off with him via 'Dear John' video!
    Last edited by umm; 10-19-2008, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by morrigan01
      So, these are just some of the fundamentals, IMO, why it will be different (and work) with Lois the way it didn't with Lana.
      Great post!!!!! ITA.

Just to highlight some of your fab insights

Now, why couldn't he and Lana be together? Because, fundamentally, Lana wanted a different life with Clark than Lois will want (and have) with Clark. Lana only wanted to have a nice, quiet, stable life with the man she loved. That family life that got taken away from her during the meteor shower. That was seen especially in Persona last season, when Lana was all excited of moving away with Clark (who was really Bizarro) to Minnesota or whatever.
      ITA! Lana wants a quiet life. The domestic scenes in Persona showed how much she enjoyed that part of their relationship. I think they were going to Paris?

Lois on the other hand craves chaos. She was born in to a nomad's life (army brat), she lived a life of action with her military training. She would suffocate in a traditional relationship, dinner at 5:30 and all...

When Lois is in trouble and can't get out of it, then Clark knows she's really in trouble. It's why he freaked out in Recruit when she went missing, and again - to another extent - here.
      Spot on.

If he screws up, Lois will not defer to him and wont be afraid to call him on it. But she'll still accept and love him, screw-ups and all. She'll allow him to be happy, pissy, selfish, the whole host of emotions too. And more to the point - Clark will do the same for her.
      Again, ITA. They accept each other, flaws and all.
      Last edited by supes0; 10-18-2008, 03:17 PM. Reason: add quotes..

Comment

Originally posted by umm
        You keep forgetting one small thing, Lois isn't Lana!
        thank you so much , umm
        - took the words , right out of my mouth !
        .. there's a reason nothing that worked or didn't work for Clana ;
        will / might / could ; work for Clois .
        LOIS is NOT and will NEVER be Lana . = )

Comment

all fantasic posts and i agree with the central idea in the majority of the posts
          LOIS IS NOT LANA.

Comment

About Lois' statement that she doesn't want to share her life partner with the world:

Her statement was primarily motivated by fear of being left behind (as Morrigan said). She compares Oliver's behavior to the way the General treated her as a little girl. She feels that the importance of their jobs justifies the fact that she was not very high on the priority list but it hurts.

Well, Lois will never be an afterthought for Clark. Clark will do a better job of valuing Lois in the future than the other heroes in her life. Clark won't treat her like luggage (the General) or like an afterthought/pass time (Oliver). Clark will make sure (well unless you count Superman Returns) that there is no doubt in Lois' mind of her value to him. She won't worry that he will abandon her.

Even if Clark becomes Superman and we have a triangle of three for a while, by the time Lois learns about Clark and Superman she will have seen him balance having a relationship with her WHILE being a hero. Yes he disappears sometimes and makes silly excuses but he is there to support and love her as a friend and later boyfriend WHILE being Superman. So he will already have shown that he can balance the two better than Oliver or the General.

Clark's relationship with Lana shows just how important his personal relationships are. He put heroism on the back burner in Season 7 in favor of a happy home life. With Lois he will balance the hero with the home better. He won't to choose one over the other.
            Last edited by ginnyfan; 10-18-2008, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pizzahead2490
              all fantasic posts and i agree with the central idea in the majority of the posts
              LOIS IS NOT LANA.
              LOL , right on . = )

Comment

*runs in to thread*

Who the hell cares about Lana?

*runs out of thread*

Comment

A most interesting thread. Lois is an "eat dirt and die" kind of girl. She is very strong, self assured, and accepting of herself. Lana never accepted herself. She always measured her value by the opinions of others, the current man in her life, and in large part on the "left behind" attitude. That made her see herself as a victim. Lois is NOT a victim. But rather, Lois is Lois is Lois. Like her or not. The choice is yours. She doesn't put limits on Clark and will accept no limits from him. She is complete with or without him, but eventually learns to relate to him in a very loving way. They become the couple of destiny. Lana was neither complete nor accepting of Clark. Lana wanted Clark, but only on her terms. Lois falls in love with Clark: hero, warts and all. And Clark accepts Lois warts and all. In fact, it is those very warts that cement the relationship.
                  Last edited by Dor el; 10-19-2008, 10:02 AM.

Comment

There is only one woman with the strength of will to be both lover and wife to Superman. That is Lois Lane. ITA Lois is not Lana.

Comment

I really want Lana to come back and show she is over Clark .... and that she matured and is living a happy life wherever she was living by now with someone who truly appreciate her without the whole secrets, lies, drama, agnst crap that only helped to destroy her character! Like everyonelse on this show, Lana deserves a fair decent close up for her character .... after she plays a big role on Supermanīs life as well .... !

Comment

Great answers! Keep them coming! It's really interesting to see the views of various people on this topic.

Comment

LOIS IS NOT LANA.
                          Of course not ...... I mean I donīt think that Lana is better than Lois or otherwise, both plays their part on Clarkīs life .... so comparing them is like saying that apple is orange ..... they are totally different ... have qualities and flaws!

Comment

If TPTB were going to leave Clana in a spot where their relationship didn't work because Lana had to let Clark go so he can accept his destiny, then I don't think that they would be bothered with bringing Lana back in season 8. Something tells me that their relationship will end much differently this season, which might answer some of the questions why Clark won't have the same problems with Lois in the future.

Comment

When the creator of Superman was creating his vision of Clark Kent/Superman, he created Lois Lane right along with him. That is why she is so perfect for him. She was written at the same time as he was. She is his counterpart, romance aside.

Many people cannot stand or handle Lois because she is not the type of woman that fits with just anyone, Clark Kent/Superman is one of the few who can handle and appreciate the whirlwind that is Lois Lane.

Lois Lane is a beautifully flawed character, one who Superman can completely appreciate in a way that most people cannot. To Superman, she is the epitome of what it is to be human. She makes mistakes, she has many horrible qualities (stubborn, rude, headstrong, annoying), and yet, she has these amazing qualities that you cannot ignore and that COMPLIMENT Clark Kent/Superman so perfectly. She is passionate, humane, and seeks out the truth (danger be damned).

Lois and Clark are soulmates who were quite literally, written for one another.

And the difference between Lois Lane's relationship with Clark Kent and Lana Lang's relationship to Clark Kent is that Lois and Clark are connected by MORE than love. They are connected by the SAME destiny. They were both meant to save the world.

Both are heroes. One represents fiction, the other reality.

Clark Kent/Superman is a hero, but that exists only in fiction.

Lois Lane is a hero that can exist and does exist in our world.

That is another way that they compliment each other, fiction/reality combined.

Lana Lang, although a woman who has shown strength and independence, was NOT written as a hero. She was not written to have a destiny of saving the world. Thus, her life does not coincide with Clark's.

True soulmates do not just have the bond of love, they have the bond of destiny, and that is why Lois and Clark Kent will always work, and Clark and Lana will not.
                              Last edited by KelterDai; 10-18-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedKRules
                                I really want Lana to come back and show she is over Clark .... and that she matured and is living a happy life wherever she was living by now with someone who truly appreciate her without the whole secrets, lies, drama, agnst crap that only helped to destroy her character! Like everyonelse on this show, Lana deserves a fair decent close up for her character .... after she plays a big role on Supermanīs life as well .... !
                                ITA with your post. I hope that she has come back for closure and not to give the relationship another try and I really hope the writers don't make her into a stalker ex girlfriend. I want to see the more grown up Clark we have seen interact with a more grown up Lana and have them both acknowledge that while they love each other, the relationship was not meant to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎