Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myankskent
    ITA. Once again, I'm going to have some fun with Supernatural here since this show is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips according to some. If it's so great, then why is it still losing out in the ratings department to a Smallville show in it's 8th season that has just lost 3 major characters? What exactly does that say about Supernatural on this network? That it should be cancelled because it has no shot at beating a garbage Smallville show on the CW? I'd love to hear the answer to those questions.

Do I think that Smallville is a brilliantly written show? Absolutely not. It's just as flawed as any other show out there but the ratings speak for themselves. If you're going to keep all of these other shows on the air that are not even coming close to Smallville's numbers as far as the ratings are concerned, then IMO, the last show on this crappy network that should be torn apart is Smallville from a ratings standpoint.
    Aw, poor "Supernatural"... that's an awesome show, let's not pick on it.

But, to use the same example, I can explain why: "Smallville" is based on an existing mythology and in it's peak, it used to attract 7-8 mil viewers. (This was also the WB's peak.)

"Supernatural" came out at a time when the WB wasn't doing well and merged into the CW. And, consistently, it has never gotten any love or promotion from the WB or the CW. Smallville - back in the day - had billboards all over the world and it was everywhere. And the 4 million viewers we still get are - I think - a legacy from that time.

"Supernatural" never had that initial surge, so it's never going to be at the same level. If you compare "BSG" (one of the most brilliant shows ever made) to "SV" then you'd see that "BSG" didn't even have "SV" type numbers in the beginning. It took massive promotion and critical love to get it to where it is today... and "SN" doesn't have either of those.

But, quality wise, "SN" is a superior show.

Comment

I love both shows, Smallville and Supernatural. Supernatural is a much darker show that doesn't have the cache of Superman behind it. Also, if you look at what is playing opposite, you'll see the multi-pronged attack juggernauts of: CSI, Gray's Anatomy, the Office, AND a Dodgers/Phillies game. It's amazing that Supernatural does as well as it has, all those things in consideration. Smallville doesn't have quite the competition in it's time slot. Plus, the CW isn't a major network and refuses to advertise either show.

Supernatural is all that and a bag of chips; it's dark and intelligent and funny and tormented and unexpected and well acted and shows a family who loved each other and two brothers who truly care about each other. But most people aren't going to give it a chance because of the subject matter. Horror may be all that in the movies, but not on tv. Supernatural is also way too adult. Most parents wouldn't let their children watch a show like that and horror is not as accepted in the mainstream. Just like Battlestar, because of it's sci-fi/fantasy elements and Smallville, because of it's comic book roots, anything other than sit-coms and dramas will always be dismissed and denigrated. And it's the loss of the mainstream public for their insulated attitude.

Nowadays, reality tv shows can pull better numbers than scripted shows. People don't have to patience to sit through sci-fi or horror and would complain that it's too complicated or too boring.
      Last edited by geminis; 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I have tried to watch SN but it's way too dark for me. I like the actors and wish them much success in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Supes4Ever
          Sorry, should have been more clear on my end. However, you did get part one of the question right, I am asking that.

What I was asking in terms of the ratings, is that they are "threatening" to stop watching, and have claimed that ALL the Chloe/Chlark fans will now jump ship from the show after what happened in "Instinct," particularly with the complaints about how the "Fever" letter was brought up. So do you believe that this type of "underground grumbling" as I like to call ALL claims made on Forums, including this website about what certain fans will do, could possibly cause a drop in the ratings for the rest of the season? I personally don't think it is possible, but there seems to be heavy grumbling on that Forum and here on Kryptonsite (granted by some of the same people who are on BOTH forums).
          All right.

I really don't think so.If you count up all the people that say that they're going to stop watching, will it even equal fifty? I'm not sure, because I really don't pay attention to them. But even if there are hundreds saying that they'll stop watching, it won't matter if none of them have ratings boxes. And if some of them actually have ratings boxes, how many are just blowing smoke about not watching just so that people will think they're "awesome rebels against a television show" or something?
          Last edited by ClarkyBoy14; 10-11-2008, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eas
            Absolutely.

Comment

That's your opinion, don't post it as a fact because it isn't a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by SparkleforSmallville
                Smallville S8 Finals:
                #1 Odyssey ~ 4.34 mil
                #2 Plastique ~ 4.18 mil.
                #3 Toxic ~ 4.05 mil.
                #4 Instinct ~ 4.12 mil.

Looking good

That's great, we're up from last week.

I'll always be a fan of Smallville but SN is great as well. Not as soapy as SV was getting. SV seems to have rinse off a little this year.
                Last edited by Ilovebeinglost; 10-11-2008, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SparkleforSmallville
                  Smallville S8 Finals:
                  #1 Odyssey ~ 4.34 mil
                  #2 Plastique ~ 4.18 mil.
                  #3 Toxic ~ 4.05 mil.
                  #4 Instinct ~ 4.12 mil.

Looking good
                  Oh this is good.
                  Thank heavens it did better than Toxic though

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                    Do you mean writing quality or visual quality? Because I think SV definately has SN beat in the quality of cinematogrophy. Writing wise, I think SN is more consistent and has fewer plotholes (but let's also remember SN is also only in S4), but I still prefer my SV.

Comment

If the ratings stay above 4 million does that mean we might get signed for a ninth season?

Comment

I think there are a lot of variables to be considered before we start thinking the numbers are good enough for renewal. The biggest being Tom Welling, and what he decides to do. And if he doesn't re-sign, will they move ahead without him (which is madness)? Also, what will the CW's situation be next season? And while SV is getting the biggest amount of butts in the seats, is it getting enough teen and tween girls to keep Dawn happy? So far, its the CW's oldest skewing show, and Dawn hates the old! Then you have to wonder if it finincially feasible for the SV team to continue. Will they get another budget cut? Can they make the show they want with less money then they've had since S1? And if Tom does come back, that means a raise. Can they afford to give him more money and keep the cast they have?

So, I think there's a lot to consider, and its probably was too early for TPTB to be making a definitive decision.

But that doesn't change the fact that SV is still putting more people in front of the television then any other CW show, to include Dawn's pet projects, and that makes me

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                          I think there are a lot of variables to be considered before we start thinking the numbers are good enough for renewal. The biggest being Tom Welling, and what he decides to do. And if he doesn't re-sign, will they move ahead without him (which is madness)? Also, what will the CW's situation be next season? And while SV is getting the biggest amount of butts in the seats, is it getting enough teen and tween girls to keep Dawn happy? So far, its the CW's oldest skewing show, and Dawn hates the old! Then you have to wonder if it finincially feasible for the SV team to continue. Will they get another budget cut? Can they make the show they want with less money then they've had since S1? And if Tom does come back, that means a raise. Can they afford to give him more money and keep the cast they have?

So, I think there's a lot to consider, and its probably was too early for TPTB to be making a definitive decision.

But that doesn't change the fact that SV is still putting more people in front of the television then any other CW show, to include Dawn's pet projects, and that makes me
                          ITA BadToad Its not just the #1 scripted show right now its the overall #1 show on the CW and as far as the future is concerned [season 9] we probably wont hear much about until these first 10 episodes are done showing

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
                            If the ratings stay above 4 million does that mean we might get signed for a ninth season?
                            If we continue to stay in the 4 millions and maybe higher, we'll defiantly get a ninth season, although I believe CW and PS3 have talked and we already gotten one, I'm just waiting until they announce it, although I am really hoping we hear more about S9 in the coming weeks. But I'm pretty sure the most we are gonna hear about a ninth season is during the hiatus after the first 10 episodes, and I'm so eagar to get a ninth season, as well as PS3!
                            Last edited by 6-Super-Man -5; 10-11-2008, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                              I think there are a lot of variables to be considered before we start thinking the numbers are good enough for renewal. The biggest being Tom Welling, and what he decides to do.
                              On of the things to consider with Welling re-signing is that they'll probably try to get him to sign a multi-year deal. They aren't going to just say, "Sign on for S9 and then we'll talk again next year...". These networks are notorious for using their actors as much as possible, for as little as possible. Back when "Gilmore Girls" was being re-negotiated for a final season, this was an issue that the two leads had... they were being asked to sign a multi-year and they just couldn't do it. All the risk would fall on the actors and not on the network - they could basically fire the actors whenever they wanted (by cancelling the show) and the actors couldn't quit if they wanted. So, no deal was reached and "GG" ended rather abruptly.

That's my biggest fear with "SV" -- that they continue to play around with Welling until the bitter end and by the time the final decision is made, there are, like, only 2 episodes left of S8 and the series finale is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                                On of the things to consider with Welling re-signing is that they'll probably try to get him to sign a multi-year deal. They aren't going to just say, "Sign on for S9 and then we'll talk again next year...". These networks are notorious for using their actors as much as possible, for as little as possible. Back when "Gilmore Girls" was being re-negotiated for a final season, this was an issue that the two leads had... they were being asked to sign a multi-year and they just couldn't do it. All the risk would fall on the actors and not on the network - they could basically fire the actors whenever they wanted (by cancelling the show) and the actors couldn't quit if they wanted. So, no deal was reached and "GG" ended rather abruptly.

That's my biggest fear with "SV" -- that they continue to play around with Welling until the bitter end and by the time the final decision is made, there are, like, only 2 episodes left of S8 and the series finale is terrible.
                                Now I'm going to have nightmares.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎