Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Who Killed Lily Kane Speculation

MY vote:

Person: Mother Kane

Motivation: Lianne Mars was cheating with Mr. Kane. edit: Lilly finds out, and Celeste cant stand that she knows. Also maybe the Lilly and Weevil thing?
    Last edited by M.D.; 11-16-2004, 10:23 PM.

So far it's looking like Lily was killed and then shortly afterwards Lianne was threatened with Veronica's death, so she left town. It seems a bit circuitous for Mother Kane to kill her own daughter and threaten to kill Veronica as a way of stopping (or getting revenge for) an affair.

I do think one of the parents is behind the murder, I can't imagine it's Duncan and anyone else wouldn't have the same impact. The father did seem more genuinely upset, and he is secretly meeting with Lianne (which isn't likely if he killed his own daughter and threatened to kill Lianne's) so the mother does seem like the prime suspect at the moment, for reasons unknown.

Comment

Originally I was thinking it might be the father, I suppose because that's what VM's dad thinks but he seemed to show really genuine feelings with that video tribute so I'm not sure now. I haven't seen the last few episodes yet though.

Comment

hmm, well, Logan probably didnt do it since he doesnt know about Lily and Weevil.

Here is another scenario: What if Lilly is really Weevil's half sister, as he said to Logan ("Lilly was my sister")? If Jake Kane figured out Celeste cheated on him and Lily wasnt his, maybe he killed her. And maybe Celeste's meaness with Lilly is because Lilly was a daily reminder of her indiscretion with another man.
        Last edited by M.D.; 11-16-2004, 10:50 PM.

Comment

mama kane. because lilly found out about something mama kane was keeping and it will affect Duncan in the process. causing them to fight and later killed lilly,

Comment

Probably Jake Kane. MAYBE Lilly wasn't his daughter and he knew Veronica was. Maybe Lilly was a product of an affair his wife had. Also, who thinks raped Veronica?

Comment

Here's my theory, which I've posted at TV.come: I think it's Mama Kane, and Abel Koontz is on death row for her.

I think Celeste Kane knew about her husband Jake and Lianne Mars being high school sweethearts, and that's why she resented Veronica. Then, as a desperate move to keep her precious boy away from a girl whose mother she despised, Celeste told Duncan about Jake and Lianne Mars having previously been together, and lied that Veronica was really Jake and Lianne's child, thereby being his half-sister. Unfortunately, Celeste didn't anticipate Lilly eventually finding out the truth, so she had to find a way to silence her least favorite child, but it went differently than she had planned and she accidently kills Lilly.

I also think that Abel Koontz had a relationship with Mama Kane (whether sexual, friendship, or just an unhealthy obsession, I'm not sure) and the reason he took blame for the murder is that he didn't want his precious Celeste to go to prison for what she'll probably claim as an accident, so he got Celeste to bring him items that would link him to the Lilly and her death (i.e. the shoes which Celeste wasn't smart enough to realize that they might have been photographed in the room when police were investigating the murder). The reason Koontz told Veronica that Jake was her father was maybe because he wanted to throw her off her axis so she wouldn't think as clearly with the investigation, plus he probably hates Jake Kane and by extension Lianne so would use the piece of information of Lianne's constant visits to Kane Software as ammo.

So that's my theory right now. It probably made little sense and I know I'm most likely off base, but I like to throw my two cents in now and then.

Comment

cool.

Comment

My Theory

My take is that pretty much every problem/wrong thing in Neptune stems from the same problem ... people refusing to take responsibility for their actions; particularly rich folks who can use their power and influence to skate by. The show hammered that home with Duncan/Lilly's car NOT being towed because well Duncan was a Kane and the Sheriff's Dept. treats them differently from everyone else.

Like the new Sheriff said, after Veronica in the Pilot reported her rape, he wasn't going to disturb rich men's sons on her word. The "key" to Lilly's murder is not who killed her, but who is covering up for the death (which I think was accidental) and most importantly, why the coverup took place.

So, Jake and Lianne Mars are HS sweethearts, break up over something, but won't move on from HS and have an ongoing affair which comes back to hurt lots of folks. The pilot showed Lianne having an off-camera hookup with Jake Kane in the motel room Veronica tracked Jake to late at night, presumably not for a rousing game of scrabble. Abel Koontz implied that when he was working at Kane Software Lianne was in the habit of having "nooners" with Jake. Celeste thought Jake was cheating when she hired Keith/Veronica.

Jake and Keith in the Prom Flashback were OK with Veronica dating Duncan, so at that point neither knew of a possibility of cosanguinity. The trouble started escalating when Veronica tells her Mom her new boyfriend is Duncan, and her Mom has a disgusted look while burning the waffles. She tells Jake who tells Duncan and drops Veronica with no explanation.

Lilly tries to step in, learns the truth, and evasively tries to put Veronica with someone else saying Veronica could "do better" than Duncan. She tells Veronica she has a good secret but dies before telling Veronica.

Lilly is murdered in her home, presumably only family members/servants have access. None of the Kanes have alibis, Lilly was killed according to the coroner at 4:30 pm but got a traffic ticket with a picture at 6:30 which is remarkable for a dead person. Implication: the coroner was pressed to lie to cover for the Kanes. Abel Koonz is afraid of Jake Kane, but mysteriously goes along with coverup/frame for Lilly's murder despite offers of the best lawyers (he chooses Cliff who failed criminal law and rejects all appeals).

My theory: Duncan and Lilly got into a stupid argument about telling the truth to Veronica; Duncan was unwilling to "give up" entirely his G/F by telling the truth and in escalating anger hit Lilly a lot harder than he meant to ... accidentally killing her.

I don't think Lilly's death was murder, or even deliberate. Rather it's the coverup that framed an innocent man and ostracized Keith and Veronica that was the real crime.

Jake and Celeste covered for their son and to prevent a scandal and launched the coverup that led to Keith's dismissal from the Sheriff's job. This explains Abel Koonz as fall guy (he had a suit against Jake essentially stealing his work on streaming video and knew too much about Jake/Lianne so he was a two-fer). This explains Duncan's hot/cold attitudes towards Veronica, his refusal to want to face Lilly's death, his pills, his drifting through his life, his recklessness, and his father's obvious love/concern. I wouldn't be surprised if Lianne Kane took an active role in the coverup to the extent of sabotaging Keith's investigations and feeding Jake the inside info. Lianne seems to still be in love with Jake Kane.

The pictures? Jake is using his company's security officer to keep track of his daughter to insure she stays away from Duncan; likely Celeste got a hold of his copies at home and sent them to Lianne to make Lianne go away (probably blames Lianne for the loss of Lilly). Why did Koonz go along with the frame-up? Perhaps Jake Kane threatened the life of Koonz's loved one(s). A threat would explain Koonz's anger at Veronica (a Kane) and his fear of Jake.

If all this is true ... when Veronica uncovers the truth ... it would destroy Kane Software and much of the town's jobs, make her and Keith even more of an outcast because of the truth not the lies. This would also fit with the show being about how refusing to face the consequences of your actions is wrong, particularly when you use your power to do so. Plus the price paid by innocents, both large and small (Veronica's HS purity test stuff etc.) for abuse of power.

If it's true, it also raises the questions of where it all started? Jake and Lianne refusing to move on from HS and being willing to cheat/hurt both their families? This attitude being passed on to Duncan (about not letting go of HS romances)? Jake's coverup of what could well be merely an accident? Was the coverup solely for Duncan's benefit or for Jake's (getting rid of TWO rivals, Abel and Keith)? How guilty were those assisting in the coverup (the coroner, new Sheriff, Jake's security people)?

Comment

Great analysis. You definitely have a grasp of the subtlies in the show.

Comment

Still, if it's anyone but Jake then Keith was still wrong which isn't going to help him that much if Lilly's true killer is caught.

Comment

Thanks MD.

Sky -- I don't think Keith ever accused Jake directly of the murder, merely being involved which currently seems to be suggested. And yes I don't think Keith will be restored to the Sheriff's job, or win back Lianne when the Killer is revealed.

I'm guessing he'll stay as a PI.

I love this show ... so many layers.

Comment

I don't think that it's the Celeste Kane. The show has been hinting at that, and for that reason I think that she is innocent... well not innocent. But I don't think she killed Lilly.

There are two people that I think it could be. Jake Kane or Abel Koontz. I'm not going to rule out Koontz, because he doesn't exactly seem like a person that I'd want to root for to live.

I do think that, even if the case is solved and Abel didn't do it, he's still going to be put to death. They'll either find out too late or they'll get closer to the truth after his death.

Comment

I think it was papa kane, because he probably didnt like Lilly hanging out with Veronica, and if he knew Lilly was dead, her and Duncan wouldnt be hanging out with her. Im not really sure.

Comment

Also it probably wont be Jake Kane because then Keith can get his job back, therefore no more PI business which might not be good for the show (if its picked up for another season)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎