Clear All

• One On One - Pete & Chloe 1/1

Contains Exile spoilers.....

One On One
    PG-13
    Pete & Chloe (no romance)

One On One

I know she knows.

She came back from Metropolis with this - look - on her face that I've seen before. I've known Chloe Sullivan for a long time, and I know what it means when she pinches up her forehead and bites her lip. She's thinking, and what she's thinking isn't necessarily good. Nine times out of ten it's about Clark, too.

She knows where he is.

She looks up when she notices me watching her and tries to give me a smile. "Hey, Pete."

"Chloe." I sit down and open my book. She's working on a story, and not one for the Torch. She's frying bigger fish these days, and I know how she got that gig too.

The day I helped Clark steal the kryptonite key I was "this" close to Lionel Luthor. The man uses cologne, expensive, and in quantity. In a nutshell - he smells. Later that day in the Torch office, when I tried to stop Clark from taking the ring, I smelled that cologne again. Chloe is working for Lionel Luthor. She's sold her soul to the devil himself. I don't know what she knows, but I'm going to find out.

I listen to her type for a while before I look up from working the same math problem about fifty times. She's still wearing that expression.

"So give." I say.

"I beg your pardon?". Her eyes are guileless as she looks up at me.

"You know where Clark is don't you."

How quickly she ducks her eyes back down to her computer is a dead giveaway. "I don't know what you're talking about, Pete."

I can't decide if I'm gonna be mad or not. She's lying to me. I know she is. "You saw Clark while you were in Metropolis didn't you."

The click-clack of her keyboard falters but her voice doesn't. "No I didn't."

I slam my book shut, making everything on both our desks jump. I don't get mad usually, but she was lying to me, and apparently everyone else too. Chloe hasn't been spending much time in Smallville lately. She hasn't seen what the Kents are going through. She and Lana haven't been speaking really. Lana's lost weight. She looks pale. The Kents got a foreclosure notice on the farm. They don't think I saw it there, lying on the kitchen table. Without Clark everything has gone to hell.

"Why are you lying?" I demand, when I have her attention.

She's quiet. She's looking at her computer but her fingers are still. "Okay, I saw him, briefly, in a club."

"A club?"

"I went out, with this guy. They're not picky about carding there. I just went to dance a little, unwind you know…."

Chloe fidgets in her chair, but not like she's nervous. It is more like she was trying to think of what to say. I read deception in her body language.

"And Clark was in this club?"

"Pete," Chloe says softly. "I'm not sure it was Clark."

There I see honesty. He scared her. That tells me he's still wearing the ring,. "What do you mean?" I ask.

"I only saw him for a second."

Lie.

"He was with a woman, on the dance floor. Pete, do you know what's wrong with him?"

Trust Chloe to turn the tables on me, force me into a lie I'm not comfortable making, and she's better at it than I am.

"He's upset, Chloe, about the baby you know?"

She meets my gaze and she has turned the tables on me, putting me under the microscope. I'm not playing this game with her.

"Upset enough to run away like this, Pete? He was in that club practically having sex with this woman twice his age on the dance floor. That isn't a Clark Kent upset about inadvertently causing his mother to miscarry. The Clark Kent I know would be hiding in a cave somewhere brooding, or would have thrown himself off the Loeb bridge after leaving a melodramatic piece of drivel for a suicide note. He would not be in Metropolis dry humping a club-slut."

"Did you talk to him?"

Chloe won't meet my eyes, but I see the anger and the hurt there in her expression. It wars with her affection. She really does like Clark. I'd say she loves him. Chloe has become dangerous, and nobody has noticed until now.

"No," she says, and I know she's lying - again. I'm dying to press the issue, and find out what he said to her, but I can't push, not yet, or she'll clam up completely.

"Oh. Did he see you?"

"No." She raises her head. "Pete. What is he?"

What is he?

Man, is she that close? What does she know?

"Missing," I joke, and leave it at that. "Chloe, if you know where he is you have to tell Mr. and Mrs. Kent. They're worried sick!"

"I don't know where he is, Pete. I saw him the club, that was all."

"What club?"

"I don't remember, why are you grilling me?"

This time I really lose my temper. "Because Clark is my friend, Chloe! I don't care what you guys fought about but he's always been your friend too, and if you really cared, like you say you do, you'd help someone find him before…."

I pick up my books and stand up, wanting to storm out, but I hold myself back. I need more.

"Before what?" she asks quietly.

"Before someone gets hurt."

She looks up at me, and I can see that there are tears in her eyes when she says:

"Someone already did."

It is the confirmation I need. She had talked to Clark.

"What did he say, Chloe?"

Shaking her head, she goes back to her work in silence. After a minute she speaks again.

"It's not what he's said. It's never what he's said, or what he does. It's what he doesn't say, and doesn't do."

"Like being in love with you?" I wait, and she doesn't add anything so I let her have it. "Chloe, if you sell Clark out, if you put him in danger, I'll never forgive you, so help me God."

She slowly raises her head to look at me.

"Tell someone what you know, someone who'll help him, or keep your mouth shut."

"Pete," Chloe laughs. "Are you threatening me?"

"Yes."

I hear her breath catch, and I see her eyes search mine. I see her expression falter when she realizes I'm not kidding. She knows more than she's saying. Now she knows I do too.

I leave her. I'm shaking.

I understand now what Clark goes through every day of his life. I made a vow to protect him. I'll keep it too, even if it means sacrificing other people I care about. Chloe has made her choice, and I'm making mine. If she betrays Clark I'll make sure she pays for it.

I'm watching you Chloe. I'm watching you.

~~FIN~~

That was good. We don't get to see much of Pete, so it's nice when he gets a chance. Got anymore?

Jenny

Comment

Wow that was some piece of writing there!! I loved how you discribed how Pete saw right trough Chloe!
      Umm...i'm definitely looking out for more of your stuff

Comment

Another great piece paperb! Good job!

Comment

You're good! I liked seeing pete's commitment to clark. "If she betrays Clark I'll make sure she pays for it. " Very powerful. That takes alot for a character to say/do. Do you have any other smallville work I could read?

Comment

Thanks so much guys!

I've included my webpage addy in my signature for those who may want to go back and read the older fic from the old boards. It's not quite updated to current yet, but everything else is there. Just be sure to watch the ratings and the pairings.

Comment

paperb is posting!!!!

Comment

*closes eyes while scrolling to reply box*

Damnit! I can't read one of your great fics until next thursday! *sniffle*

Comment

Hey... that was a good story. I like how Pete got angry and defended his best buddy Clark. And I agree with other statements above that said it sure was nice to have a story focus on Pete. Good job...

Comment

Wonderful, but of course it is, all your of your fics are. Your a very talented writer and I lover your site. Pete was fierce in this fic, but if Clark is really his brother form another mother and planet, I guess he should defend his boy to that extent.

Comment

Totally love it , Pete was so totally real!!!! poor Chloe, I just hope you are going to write a little more Chlark, I love all your fics but they ones that have some Chlark or no pairings at all, like the Flood, are the best ones for me .
                      Be well and take care

Comment

Let me add my "Woo-hooo!" and "Great work!" to that of the rest of the masses! Really, it IS great to see Pete's thoughts and him playing more of a vital role in helping Clark, and seeing right through Chloe. Nice characterization, dialogue, and overall, just an amazing fic.

--Jeff ><>' --

Comment

That was really good. Have you got any more pete fics?

Comment

That was just fantastic! I loved it how you depicted the emotions and the thoughts in Pete's head!
                            Wow!
                            Good work!!

do you have any more Pete fics?

Comment

Whoa. That was good. Wish Pete could have more scenes like that on the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎